Educational

Author Topic: 'GO HOME' vans to fight immigration  (Read 2712 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
'GO HOME' vans to fight immigration
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »

GO HOME Is the message!   
It is part of a new campaign to clamp down on illegal immigrants in the UK.

Is it dumb?

My thoughts
1.  Can the majority of illegal immigrants read English that well?
2.  The ones that can,  how many do you think are going to follow the instructions and go home?
3.  At £15K  per van they are not going to be cost effective.
4.  Was there a similar campaign used by Nazi's just before WWII with a similar go home message.  It could be offensive to holocaust survivors.
5.  Considering some of these people have been threatened and maybe tortured and have possibly had a terrible journey getting here,  are they really going to be worried by a van?
6.  People get confused between immigrants and illegal immigrants.  I have often heard "bloody illegal immigrants coming here and taking our jobs and claiming benefit"  This is simply not true.  Yes there are many valid immigrants who work or claim benefit.  Illegal immigrants fall under the radar and simply can't claim benefits or work legitimately.
7.  Illegal immigrants are often employed by unscrupulous people to work as slaves.  They are not free.  They get paid a pittance.  Their quality of life is poor. They are victims. 
8.  If the government feel the need to 'target' someone,  I feel they should be targeting these people who harbour illegal immigrants just so they get cheap labour.

Well OK but how to 'deal' with the problem of immigration, then?  First problem is there are no current figures.  Only estimates on how many UK residents emigrate and how many migrants are entering - legit or not.  The government admit their own figures are not fit for purpose.  I personally feel this government is obsessed with lowering net migration figures.  It is bizarre then, that the figures are just very blunt estimates anyway.  Instead of spending money on vans telling illegal immigrants to 'go home' i feel the money should be spent on devising a more accurate system of recording data.  Many citizens here are completely unaware that the 515'000 migrants and 352'000 emigrants figure per year is not an accurate recording but just guesswork.  Yet these figures are often used by UKip and the tories to scare people into thinking that the floodgates are open.

An 'amnesty' has been suggested.  Not sure if this would be acceptable to a lot of the public who blindly believe certain politicians and tory rag newspapers.

However, it would be a tool to prosecute people who benefit the system by exploiting these people for cheap labour.

Slavery, even in it's most mildest form is something that belongs in history books.
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: 'GO HOME' vans to fight immigration
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
Illegal immigrants fall under the radar and simply can't claim benefits or work legitimately.
Illegal immigrants in the UK are refused healthcare if they can't pay?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:32 AM »
Go home vans  :lol1:  Are they really that stupid they think this works?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:39:38 AM »
Illegal immigrants fall under the radar and simply can't claim benefits or work legitimately.

No, no one is refused healthcare.  Healthcare is not exchanged for cash, only by private health companies.   I was talking about the benefits that require a 50 page form to fill in.  All the benefits that hand out cash.

Funny that healthcare is a benefit.  It is taken for granted here.  I'm sure it is seen as a 'right' by many people.
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:09 AM »

No, no one is refused healthcare.  Healthcare is not exchanged for cash, only by private health companies.   I was talking about the benefits that require a 50 page form to fill in.  All the benefits that hand out cash.

Funny that healthcare is a benefit.  It is taken for granted here.  I'm sure it is seen as a 'right' by many people.

I see. If illegal immigrants are using your medical services, then they are in fact taxing your system. And I think the vans are intended for the English speaking, giving them a hotline to report the illegals. That probably does work. Unless of course that number is really for illegals to get help going home. :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:51:32 AM by Jack »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:58 AM »
They are taxing our system through using medical services, yes, but over here we pretty much view medical attention as a human right.

Bodie means things like job seekers allowance etc (I presume), where they're given a set amount of money per week/month

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »

I see. If illegal immigrants are using your medical services, then they are in fact taxing your system. And I think the vans are intended for the English speaking, giving them a hotline to report the illegals. That probably does work. Unless of course that number is really for illegals to get help going home. :laugh:

The wording on the vans:
"In the UK illegally?"

"Go home or face arrest"

I think it is a direct request to illegal immigrants.

Your supposition that they are targeting UK English speaking nationals to report instances of illegal imigration would be more logical and common sense.  I don't think that is what is going on here. 

It would be interesting to have figures showing the cost of healthcare these people actually drain and compare with the costs of unpaid taxes made by unscrupulous bosses and owners of sweat shops.

I really have no idea of the amounts.   I would prefer to target the bosses of sweat shops and people who keep illegal immigrants as nanny's and domestic staff.

blah blah blah

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:30 AM »
:agreed:

I don't have the figures - although if I wasn't so lazy, I guess I could look them up lol - but tax avoidance costs the government more than benefit fraud etc, by a HUGE amount

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:44 AM »
I don't know how much immigrants cost the NHS, but I would guess it's no way NEAR what people think it is.

Especially as most ILLEGAL immigrants are gonna try and keep their head down and away from officials.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »
They are taxing our system through using medical services, yes, but over here we pretty much view medical attention as a human right.

Bodie means things like job seekers allowance etc (I presume), where they're given a set amount of money per week/month

Yes Adam is right.  The term 'on benefit' over here relates to such payments.

btw,  i should point out that hospital and doctor services are free but prescriptions are not.  You do have to be on benefit, under 16 or over 65 to get free meds.
blah blah blah

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »
Although you still don't have to actually pay for the medication, just the prescription, which is about £8 I think?

TheoK

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »
In Sweden you would get arrested for those vans. We should be grateful that illiterates, islamists and criminals want to come and live on Swedish taxpayers. Sweden has no culture of its own, we can thank the immigrants for everything.

Yes, that is in principle what the politicians, except the nationalists and nazis, say. They do say that with "no Swedish culture"  and "being thankful to the immigrants" literally.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
You wouldn't get arrested for it here becuase it's our own GOVERNMENT that's doing it :P

TheoK

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »
Oh  :-\