Author Topic: Agenda 21  (Read 11284 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Agenda 21
« Reply #495 on: August 08, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Why should interviews be fface to face? We now have instant m$essenger , so people can chat via text. If applicants were given a number, not a race, sex or physoical appearance, an employer would be forced to look at qualifications and nothing else.

Because like it or not, face-to-face matters a great deal.

It does depending on the line of work. Being in sales, acting or m$odeling. But what about jobs with far less interaction?  At what pint does emphasis on physical presentation become doiscriminatory?

Abeercrrombie and Fitch has a "look policy" that was under controversy. A Muslim employee was fired for wearing a head scarf. Was she right to sue them?

I'm not talking about just physical appearance, I'm talking about how you conduct yourself when with other people. If you are to meet customers and I want to hire you, that's going to be very important. Yes, I know, spazzes may not have the advantage here and life isn't fair, but it's important.

If you are an in-house developer (speaking strictly of what I know), all that is less important, but it's not unimportant either. If I was to hire a person for that line of work, I'd be more interested in his or her ability to work in a team. In addition to the actual qualifications, obviously.

And I can't comment on whether that person was in right in suing. I don't know the facts. The media will most likely give a rather one-sided view of it, though. It's simply how these things work.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #496 on: August 08, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
As said before, if it was purely on academic skills then a lot of aspies would get in.

Sadly, this stuff is important. Makes sense too really, unless I was offering jobs that literally required no social or presentation skills.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
Why should interviews be fface to face? We now have instant m$essenger , so people can chat via text. If applicants were given a number, not a race, sex or physoical appearance, an employer would be forced to look at qualifications and nothing else.

Haven't you ever talked to someone on the phone or online  and they seemed all right but when you met them in person they creeped you the fuck out?
I've done online dating.  Therefore yes.   :zoinks:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
How you interact with people can be even more important than academic qualifications. In fact, I'd say it often is unless you're working in something tech/science based.

Even if you don't have to deal with customers etc, you're probably gonna be in an office, possibly working in a small team of people.

That's why they need to meet you

That said, Idon't think interviews should have to be really gruelling and intimidating.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #499 on: August 10, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
How you interact with people can be even more important than academic qualifications. In fact, I'd say it often is unless you're working in something tech/science based.

Even if you don't have to deal with customers etc, you're probably gonna be in an office, possibly working in a small team of people.

That's why they need to meet you

That said, Idon't think interviews should have to be really gruelling and intimidating.

No, they certainly shouldn't. Interviews should be about them getting to know a bit about you, but also about you getting to know a bit about them. It's a two-way street.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #500 on: August 10, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »
Confidence is often key too, I've noticed. I've fucked up a lot of interviews simply due to me being too nervous.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
Indeed. I think it's important to practise some of the more common questions and answers.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
Confidence is often key too, I've noticed. I've fucked up a lot of interviews simply due to me being too nervous.

I said that. Overflowing power coming out of your eyes like a solar flare is key.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #503 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »

I said that. Overflowing power coming out of your eyes like a solar flare is key.

I once saw a movie about a guy like that

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #504 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
How did Rage not get called out for being a conspiracy loon on this one??  :dunno: