Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 180673 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
Stormy.

Day   Time   Temp   FeelsLike   Pressure   Rain   Cloud   Dir   Speed   Weather
Sun 31 Dec   18:00   6 °c   0 °c   982 mb   6.8 mm   100 %   [Wind from SW (230°)]    46 mph   [Showers]
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2006, 02:15:39 PM »
32 degrees Fahrenheit, clear and sunny with blue skies, but about eighteen inches of snow laying on the ground.

Our water was turned off when we came home last night and it took us a while to figure out the problem.  Apparently we forgot to turn off the water to our sprinkler system and it froze in the blizzard and then started leaking while we were gone.  Fortunately an observant neighbor noticed before we lost too much water and had the city turn off our water at the street.  Unfortunately, I don't know which neighbor to thank.  Should I bake them some cookies or something?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2006, 02:17:11 PM »
They canceled the new-year celebrations in Glasgow due to the weather.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6221557.stm
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
I just got back from doing some emergency storm-management.  Earlier this year, mum got a greenhouse with polycarbonate panels (some sort of corrugated plastic laminate), but a fair number of the panels have blown out in the wind, since they're so light and flexible, and were scattered all over the garden.  She also got a trellace put in, but it seems the workmen did a shit job of it; each 2*1.5m panel was secured just with 4 little screws, and two of them came loose, with one landing on her car.  There was no damage to the car, despite the panels being pretty heavy, but I'll have to remount and brace the trellace so that this doesn't happen again.  For now, I've tied up one of the panels with wire and left the other lying against a post.  Of course, the trellace that I made is absolutely fine, and the gate that I did a fairly major renovation on is having no problems.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
Storm damage:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2006, 04:56:33 PM »
Detailed weather forecast °F | °C
Day Forecast Description Precip chance
Today
Dec 31

Details Fair
Hi: 63° Lo: 43°
 Day: Mostly clear skies. High 63F, humidity 50%. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
 4%
Night: Patchy fog. Low 43F. Winds light.
 5%
Tomorrow
Jan 01

Details Clear
Hi: 67° Lo: 44°
 Day: Mostly clear skies. High 67F, humidity 40%. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
 5%
Night: Clear skies. Low 44F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
 0%
Tuesday
Jan 02 Partly Cloudy
Hi: 70° Lo: 44°
 Mostly clear skies. High 70F and low 44F. Winds N at 15 to 20 mph.
 0%
Wednesday
Jan 03 Fair
Hi: 69° Lo: 45°
 Sunny skies. High 69F and low 45F. Winds light.
 0%
Thursday
Jan 04 Fair
Hi: 67° Lo: 45°
 Sunny skies. High 67F and low 45F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
 1%

Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2006, 06:55:30 PM »
The new year started with a heavy rain.

ozymandias

« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »
Clear moon lit sky and very cold!  Though we are supposed to get freezing rain and other crap before dawn.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »
Bummer, Peter!

Rainy here, all day. Temperatures in the forties Farenheit. It looks like winter, but the clouds are too low.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2007, 04:18:42 AM »
The temperature got up to sixty two degrees Farenheit, yesterday and we had light rain, all day.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2007, 04:23:30 AM »
Another foot of snow.  School was cancelled today because of the rutted condition of our roads under this new snow and it made it hazardous for school buses to drive on.  Maybe our seven year drought has ended.  We have gotten more snow in the past month, I think, than we got all of last season.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2007, 06:00:45 AM »
5C, cloudy, some rain... what a "winter" this is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2007, 07:03:13 AM »
What the Met has to say about the UK weather this winter:

Winter, Is It Really?
Added : Wed 3 January : 12:14GMT

There are many viewers out there that surely remember the winters of '63 and perhaps even '47 and will recall the persistence and severity of the cold and snow that was associated with these winters and many others in the last 20 to 40 years.

Have winters in the last 5 to 10 years changed?, the answer to that would seem to be yes and this year is no different and almost just an extension of autumn rather than winter. We are now progressing into January and the outlook remains mild and wet which is a general continuation of the weather that has dominated the British Isles throughout November and December, with the exception of one week of more settled conditions around the Christmas period.

The general lack of cold and snow across the UK is remarkable so far this winter with some places recording only two or three days with an actual air frost and minimum temperatures barely below freezing. Snow hasn't been seen even across some of the hills of Northern England yet, let alone across lower lying regions of Southern England....so what's the cause?

Winters over the last couple of years have seen significant Atlantic blocking in the form of large high pressure areas. What these do is essentially block any low pressure systems from pushing into the UK and when combined with other variables can produce cold Northerly winds. One good example is the snow that brought chaos to parts of Southwest England last November; this was caused by a Northerly wind in association with a large, blocking high pressure over the Central North Atlantic.

This year has been different, markedly different. There has been little in the way of high pressure which can aid to block low pressure systems pushing into the UK from the West, but also bringing the possibility of colder air from the North or Northeast. Instead a large and dominant low pressure area has persisted in and around the Iceland region. When this happens the UK experiences what is known as a 'zonal flow' and low pressure after low pressure pushes into the UK. The end result is generally mild and very wet weather and so far that has been the primary feature of this winter.

The outlook for those who like more seasonal temperatures and snow is disappointing. No changes are expected until the middle of January at the very earliest. So keep the brollies handy and perhaps even the sand bags if you're unlucky because it's mild, wet and windy for the foreseeable future in what is turning into a very mild and very wet winter so far.

When I was out running a couple of days ago, I passed a local river, and it was higher than I'd ever seen it with the amount of rain we've had.

Graelwyn

« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Wet, cloudy and enormously depressing. A little colder than yesterday too, I can always tell from my room temperature as we dont have heating on here and I just have my convector heater which is off all night...or day since thats when I seem to be sleeping these days.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:34 AM »
i would be interested in what the weather is like where flo lives.

see flo, that was funny.
Misunderstood.