Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 184904 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #14310 on: April 02, 2023, 08:22:29 PM »
40 F with a stiff strong wind that makes it feel like 30 F. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14311 on: April 03, 2023, 06:58:45 AM »
Rain, hail, thunder, lightning, tornadoes (twenty one dead was the latest count), wind shear, all day and night yesterday. And then a calm but dismal looking morning with sleet and mist for the afternoon.

Where my wife works, they had three trucks in the fleet parking grounds that had the roofs blown off from wind shear last night. Two were simply over turned.
One end of the huge warehouse building had some damage as well. No tornado, just very strong wind shear.

Just above freezing right now, but calm and clear.

I've always associated the term wind shear with upper atmosphere level winds. The kind that blows weather systems out to sea. The kind that stops our Coral Sea cyclones from hitting the Queensland coast.

It's been raining on and off today. We're supposed to get up to 2 inches tomorrow. It's all coming in off the sea (I guess that upper level wind shear isn't working  :P)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14312 on: April 03, 2023, 10:55:55 AM »
Sunny, light breezes, 40's F  A good day for a walk. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14313 on: April 03, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »
22.3°C and sunny at 11:20am. No rain for the next week here on the coast. It's all happening inland.

Charlotte, I envy you your rain.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14314 on: April 04, 2023, 05:48:14 AM »
I've never heard it described as wind shear before, but it was probably that which blew over our fence last year.

Top of 26°C here today.

A quote from our National Weather Service:

"Vertical Wind Shear:

The change in the wind's direction and speed with height. This is a critical factor in determining whether severe thunderstorms will develop.

Wind Shear:
The rate at which wind velocity changes from point to point in a given direction (as, vertically). The shear can be speed shear (where speed changes between the two points, but not direction), direction shear (where direction changes between the two points, but not speed) or a combination of the two.

Wind Shear Profile:
The change in wind speed and/or direction usually in the vertical. The characteristics of the wind shear profile are of critical importance in determining the potential for and type of severe weather."

Two strong fronts meeting in the atmosphere can wreak havoc with piloting and ground level activities. Depending upon whether the high pressure front meeting a low pressure front is above or below the oncoming front often determines severity and angles of the ensuing mayhem.
One other point to consider is that the travel speed of the fast moving front will usually climb over the slower moving front, but not always.
This is part of the reason the weather folks have so much fun trying to Analise radar to determine weather conditions.
Once you have a swiftly moving high pressure front overtaking a stable low pressure system and it climbs to higher elevation, we often get extreme downward winds at "hurricane force" which also confuses radar.
They can tell direction from radar and often they color winds coming toward a station red and those moving away from a station in green. Any close together red/green blobs have to be watched very carefully.
Any change in location of the green vs red could indicate rotation. That minor rotation (changing position of the green/red boundary) is often the beginning of a tornado.

BTW, there were only five killed in Indiana last Friday. That twenty one number was a combined total over Kentucky, Illinois, Tennessee and Missouri, where the outbreak was most severe. There were seventeen tonadoes that made landfall here in Indiana. Many more that hit elsewhere.
It was a rough night.

Here's a neat illustration pic of downward wind shear and the possible beginning of a tornado from a high pressure front over running a powerful low pressure system from above.
Standing anywhere near this exchange of atmospheric pressures can be deadly.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:02:31 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14315 on: April 04, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »
Very warm and spring like today. We could actually come close to record high temperatures for the day, upper seventies Fahrenheit.

That, of course, means more afternoon and overnight storms. We'll see. It's that time of year.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14316 on: April 04, 2023, 02:16:47 PM »
Sunny and spring-like.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14317 on: April 04, 2023, 08:35:33 PM »
21.1°C and sunny at 10:35am. Maximum of 23°C.

Easter Sunday is forecast to be sunny which I'm glad about because I'll be seeing my parents that day. Monday and Tuesday are meant to be wet.

That cyclone? All its rain went inland up north. Bummer.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14318 on: April 06, 2023, 09:45:06 PM »
19.9°C and cloudy at 11:45am. I did a load of washing earlier and then it started to rain. I had no idea rain was forecast for today but there it is. So I'll be hanging everything up inside.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14319 on: April 08, 2023, 03:27:45 PM »
We had around 13C today, so beautiful spring weather.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14320 on: April 10, 2023, 07:14:26 AM »
Perfect spring morning. Below freezing to start with heavy frost to scrape before the morning drive. Beautiful sunrise!
Should be clear and sunny with warm temperatures for the afternoon.

Birds are out and hungry. I oblige them.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14321 on: April 10, 2023, 10:40:27 PM »
23.3°C and sunny at 12:40pm. We actually got 6.6mm of rain yesterday. More to come tomorrow.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14322 on: April 11, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »
Warming up nicely here.  Getting some windows open for fresh air.  Taking walks without heavy coats.....Yay!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14323 on: April 11, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »
Nice spring day shaping up.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14324 on: April 11, 2023, 08:58:36 PM »
I always like the weather around Easter time, it gets just that bit cooler so people can enjoy their chocolate without it melting. Still can't leave it in the car though.
Tek'ma'tae