Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 166485 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #11190 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:57 AM »
Pissing down.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11191 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
‘Bomb cyclone’ blasting East Coast before polar vortex uncorks tremendous cold late this week

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/01/02/monster-storm-to-blast-east-coast-before-polar-vortex-uncorks-tremendous-cold-late-this-week/?utm_term=.a51098030c4b

Why the hell do I even check the news?   :facepalm2:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11192 on: January 03, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
In the low 40's today, light freeze again tonight.

As an aside, they named the current winter storm in GB after The PR.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11193 on: January 04, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
Tropical storm awwhelllthatsacutefuckingstorm? thats an unusual name for a weather-system, even in a weird ass place like the US:P

At least they didn't name it after me. Tropical storm 'huh, errrrmmm....?Lestat?what on earth is that cloud of corrosive orangey-brownsmokGetFucking DOWNTAKE COVERDAMMITTOHELL!!!!' Or 'hurricane molten potassium, no don't go try stop the local power switch or pull the electrodes out of the melt JUST CUT THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS, don't just stand there, RUN YOU STUPID FUCKING BASTARD! RUN LIKE YOUR  LIFE DEPENDED ON IT...it probably does'

(yeah, there was just such a storm. Should have seen the trails of flaming, cracking, hissing, molten caustic soda and caustic potash at several hundred degrees 'C-spattering spitting bang-ing molten metal-going-flying-in-kinda-neat-looking-purple-flares-making-bloody-loud-bangs-at-100-herz-or-thereabouts fireworks that substituted for lightening bolts. The thunderclaps were there alright though. I'm surprised my father slept through that one...christ...he must be one DEEP sleeper. If he slept through THAT particular electrolysis experiment. Very pretty to look at, but only through my blast shield, goggles underneath, elbow-length gloves with thicker ones over the top of hand-length (gardening gloves, heavy duty ones), and only from at closest, the other end of the room, peeking through a crack in the door after a tank of argon gas ran dry.....very pretty to watch, and quite the fireworks display. But not something I could get close enough to the power supply whilst it was happening to shut the electric current off without pulling the house mains circuit breaker switch, THEN digging the electrodes out, and salvaging any metal possible...with my kidneys where my heart should be, my heart where my ass ring normally occupies, and my liver in my mouth and without wearing any skin, my having just jumped out of it and not jumped back inside it before those circuit breakers were tripped manually.

That does have a..unique...ring to it though. It IS....different. Either way.....very different. Tropical storm damn fine gurrl rolls off the tongue easier though. And tropical storm 'duck' sounds too much like I just made something to sound off quacking noises instead of a continual hail of fiery molten metal detonations. Sounded a lot more like medium-caliber automatic weapons fire than quacking avian life. And with a far closer end result, given blobs of NaK alloy were forming and attempting to reach orbital escape velocity at an SMG-esque rate-of-fire. Assuming the thing was firing exploding bullets. Although at least I did discover some neat things about NaOH/KOH mixture based low-melting eutectics that melt when heated to just 200 'C or so :) Although the result when passing nearly 40 amps through the melt was....well it ought to have qualified for an officially named storm-designation in and of itself. NaK at room temperature is violent. NaK at at a bare minimum, two hundred degrees centigrade....lets just say it isn't what you could call tame, cute, fwuffy or easy to control. And that electrolyte...jesus christ...the things it did to some of those electrodes...they started as blunt, T-profiled guitar fretwire, nickel based, and ended up corrosive-sharpened to a tip with a needle-pointed end that takes the merest touch to put a hole in a finger, after cleaning the caustic potash and the lye off them. Points as sharp as razorblade edges, if not quite probably significantly sharper....If someone sealed a bunch of those which had been dipped in the electrolytic bath on one end, then reversed to immerse the other, you'd have truly excellent candidates for fin-stabilized shotgun flechette armor-piercing ammunition. And if someone wanted to be a real cunt, they could just leave a dried, caked-on layer of caustic potash/NaOH-eutectic mixture electrolyte bath on the tips, giving a whole new meaning to 'beehive shells', in that these would come with a LOT worse than a sting. And everything not wearing a ceramic plate in a stab vest at minimum would be both shredded AND locally melted where hit or touched. Sting isn't even the word for what those electrodes would do if someone used them for a shotgun shell loadout. Maybe I ought to patent the process. Dual-use manufacture of NaK-alloy and for anybody with both a shotgun and a real deep loathing for their target, nifty as hell fin-stabilized flechette armor-piercing shotgun beehive shells. The shape of the fret-wire would give it naturally a 3-finned profile in flight and stabilize the rounds when fired from an un-rifled, smoothbore shotgun barrel. Never made any such shells, but I don't have to, just touching the tips and knowing how tough that alloy, along with knowing the shape and how it would respond aerodynamically is quite enough to make it as clear as the view from the several hundred holes such a shell would drill through a target. That inadvertent discovery of the electro-corrosive sharpening process does make for a good way to craft a very fine point on tough, hard materials to use for things like spark-gap tips and making tools for carving, cutting and gouging shapes in molds later to be filled with some sort of metal or metal alloy.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11194 on: January 04, 2018, 03:07:53 AM »
0C, grey-ish.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11195 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
Pissing cold, soggy and colder than jenny mccarthy's cunt if it were to be lined with teflon and 'greased'  with graphite dust and molybdenum disulfide, then fucked with a solid, frozen load of liquid nitrogen cast into the shape of the organ growing out of her forehead, only bigger, and not just a vestigial little dangly thing with a hole in the end and a couple of shrivelled-up raisin-esque bits of tissue in a bag of flesh located at the base of said organ.

When I had to go to the doc, first had to see a nurse, to have the toe dressed, the one that I accidentally caused to have the nail ripped completely out of it. I had to, after whacking up a pretty damn solid shot of a morphine/oxycodone mixture into a muscle, then slathered the toe on benzocaine gel and JUST managed to take one of a pair of socks so loose on my feet, that they easily fall off if I go to bed with them on me over the foot, and giving myself some padding by wrapping round, then tying in place the waist-cord from my dressing gown, since crutches were not a viable option, as I had five minutes to get to the surgery and my old man couldn't give me a lift as he was waiting for a delivery vehicle, so I had to go with one shoe on and the other just wrapped in that super loose sock and a waistband from a dressing gown to pad the foot enough to bike it up there, Not an exercise in fun but fucking worth it due to the memantine pretty much as good as in the bag.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11196 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »
Nice and cool and cloudy. 24.3C at 11:35am.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11197 on: January 05, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »
Mist, 0C.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11198 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:50 AM »
25 'C isn't 'nice and cool' thats roasting. Over here cool is more like 12-15 'C, Ren. You'd want a coat for the lower end, but 15 'C is nice and cool, still warm enough to sleep starkers, save for the covers and something over your eyes to keep out the light.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11199 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:47 AM »
I wonder how you would do in our 40C heat that we get at least once per summer. Now that's roasting.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11200 on: January 05, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »
I'd have some parts 3D printed, make some others on the lathe etc., some welding, some electronics, and build myself a temperature-controlled exoskeleton. Ever seen the movie 'predator' ? I'd come up with something like that. Only with the likes of peltier cooler units to serve as heat pumps, something like active camo, squid/octopus style. And perhaps some clever stuff with metamaterials to bend IR light, see if both IR and UV range could be bent and use electronic mini-screen VDU panels perhaps to do the optical range cloaking, power pack using supercapacitors perhaps for high density rapid charging energy storage coupled with batteries, or some of the newer hybrid supercap/batteries that are being worked on. The shoulder-mounted cannon, could go with an ETC (electrothermal-chemical) cannon or gauss weapon, the blades for the wrist would be easy to machine and laser-sharpened and electroplated with a layer of something like iridium to make them resistant to noxious corrosives. Rebreather, etc. I've actually got quite a few plans for such a thing up in my head.  Done quite some research into metamaterials which can literally bend and weave light in various spectral ranges round an object or have it essentially refracted into a trap and dissipated. Something that could set the outside of the suit to external temperature so as to provide thermal imaging protection, optical setup in the headpiece for vision magnification in the IR and UV and optical ranges. wide-band and selective targeting modes for optional weapon systems. Extra fuel cells plus a leg-mounted holster for a coilpistol...

I really want to try finally making some decisions as to materials, getting the ones I can't fabricate made, like split-ring resonators if I couldn't manage a suitable nanofabrication process. Something to dampen ultrasonic imaging attempts...and of course, taking a little inspiration from the predator movies, both an arm-mounted field-medical kit plus autoinjector devices for well, whatever the suit would be set up to be able to select from for any given purpose.  Various options ranging from antidotes, adrenalin, corticosteroids, sedatives, stimulants, agents for lowering body temperature, painkillers, something compact but widely functional.

Would be totally set. Able to walk about, seen or unseen as desired, and keep the inside of the suit at whatever temperature, programmed for whatever duration or response/change conditions I'd see fit. Some basic spectrophotometer type unit for chemical atmospheric and sample analysis (this has even been done before with an Iphone to run it and a diffraction-grating based on a piece of a CD-rom disk.  And even things like regenerative braking for the down-stroke of steps, to conserve power. High density hydrogen fuel cells maybe. Solar cells as an option, have the camo on panels able to rotate round, so as to present alternatively, a solar collector power conservation system....even a military-style 'sniffer' (basically, the military of the US, and doubtless the russians, have 'sniffers' which continually sample and test the air for a preset range of toxic agents. I would of choice make my own choices as to what to look for, but basically have such a system designed to continually test the air, just like a snake's jacobsen organ and the microsecond it sniffed anything one would not wish to breathe, it would just trip the gas mask and set the headset to positive pressure mode if needs be.

Basically designed to deal with extremes of temperature, toxic environments, there would be increased strength from the electroactive polymer 'muscle' fiber bundles and cable tendons, all as lightweight as possible, using various polymers, bonded and unbonded carbon fiber in various places, as well as traditional kevlar/aramid-type fiber body armor and ceramic plate inserts, thixotropic gel armor additive layers etc. A spaced layer to defeat certain types of shaped charges and cope with moderate levels of explosive ammunition...(I'm not one to do things by halves), switchable optical and other EM spectral recording and auditory recording and playback....computer interface capacity would be good too.

When I see a problem, I tend to come up with a solution:P Lets just say I already have quite a few ideas of an environment-suit sort of thing way.

And if you think I'd be walking around in 40 'C, you got another thing coming darlin'. Fuck that in the ass with a pointy stick.

(yeah, I admit, I have put rather a lot of thought into the exact design parameters.)
All weapon systems based on electromagnetic principles and optical/sonic based options. Night vision, even ultrasonic echolocation translated into visual mapping. Passive and active IR/UV vision...designed for everything from comfort, to hostile environments, to strength in the physical sense, to medical treatment of trauma, to stealth and combat roles. (Why build multiple suits for multiple purposes when one could perform each task required of it, with a large range of capabilities?)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11201 on: January 05, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
10F(-12.2C) and falling with a clear sky  and lots of wind.   Snow on the ground hard to say how much with all the wind my front yard has places where the grass is visible and other areas with about three feet :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11202 on: January 05, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »
no more freezes for a while.  moderate (50 - 60) temps for the next 5 or so days.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11203 on: January 06, 2018, 04:58:36 AM »
-4C but no snow.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11204 on: January 06, 2018, 10:35:32 PM »
26.4 C and sunny at 12:35pm.
Tek'ma'tae