Author Topic: Nice save!  (Read 418 times)

Offline AspieMomma

• Red Headed Stepchild of the Aspie Elite.
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
Re: Nice save!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
I got my kid to the hospital before it was too late.  Somehow he contracted bacterial meningitis, probably due to his cochlear implant (it raises the risk, plus he's already had a viral strain).  It truly was a fluke that we recognized it.  Meningitis looks so much like a bad case of the flu.  I learned a lot about detection after it killed my brother.  I had kiddo try to touch his chin to his chest.  He screamed in pain.  He was really sensitive to light.  The scariest thing was how panicky he seemed, as though he knew something was really wrong. 

That's when we scooped him up and went to the ER.  Scared the shit out of me.  Scared the shit out of the ER doc.  They started him on IV antibiotics and had Children's National come get him in an ambulance. 

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
I got my kid to the hospital before it was too late.  Somehow he contracted bacterial meningitis, probably due to his cochlear implant (it raises the risk, plus he's already had a viral strain).  It truly was a fluke that we recognized it.  Meningitis looks so much like a bad case of the flu.  I learned a lot about detection after it killed my brother.  I had kiddo try to touch his chin to his chest.  He screamed in pain.  He was really sensitive to light.  The scariest thing was how panicky he seemed, as though he knew something was really wrong. 

That's when we scooped him up and went to the ER.  Scared the shit out of me.  Scared the shit out of the ER doc.  They started him on IV antibiotics and had Children's National come get him in an ambulance.

That's truly great.  I hope he is fully recovered and having no further problems.  :hug:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline AspieMomma

• Red Headed Stepchild of the Aspie Elite.
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
Thanks. :) He seems to have suffered little or no permanent damage.  Kiddo may have lost some hearing in his left ear, not that it really matters because he has minimal hearing in it anyway.  We are very lucky.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »
My wife takes the kids to the doctors I they sneeze.
Misunderstood.

P7PSP

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Thanks. :) He seems to have suffered little or no permanent damage.  Kiddo may have lost some hearing in his left ear, not that it really matters because he has minimal hearing in it anyway.  We are very lucky.
Very good.  :thumbup:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Great that you got him in hospital in time. Scary shit, meningitis.

I remember a weekend doc in hospital hardly wanting to see us when I had a girl with a really bad flu, and not able to get her chin on her chest. In the end he did see her, ruled out meningitis and said she wasn't dehydrated either. I knew she was dehydrating, she'd done that before, and I had ORS at home. So, started her on that none the less. Luckily he was right that it was just a very bad case of the flu. Jerk he was. But, that's 10 years ago now.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!