Educational

Author Topic: Scarification  (Read 4964 times)

Offline -

• Fresh Meat
  • -
Re: Scarification
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
Ouch. :(

P7PSP

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
Ouch. :(
Do it so your mummy and dada can criticize it.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
On a closer look, the arm-picture is a photoshop. The photos are identical, and the second seems to have been added some kind of old fashioned "emboss"-effect. I suspect it is probably meant as a projection for the customer, to see what it might look like when finished.

/nitpickery.

:plus: I am a shame to artists everywhere for having not caught that.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Have a friend with issues who got back into it when she hit a really rough patch.  Whipped out a razor in front of me one day and started going at her arm to "freshen" the scar (she wasn't doing herself much harm, but she was drawing blood, for sure).  I really felt like she might be trying to get a reaction, which, fuck that shit; you're a grown-up, use your damn words.  And I was doing plenty for her already.  Anyway, I just kinda looked at her and dryly asked when the last time we had boundaries was.

Scarification is an even finer line than tattoos between art and NSSI.  Which is a whole nother topic or two I could rant about for awhile but won't.

Is that common? It must be hard to have friendships if they make your professional services part of the relationship.
Common for her?  She's cooled off it last I checked, or at least she's less flamboyant about it.  She was going through a *lot* at the time; I can see how her boundaries and ability to deal with things like a grown-up kind of melted down.  But, like I said, I was already doing what I could for her, and having some ridiculous STAHHPPP HURTING YOURSELLFFFF reaction would have done nothing good.  My own history with such things (which includes attending training last year, actually- pretty much told me my instinctive responses are about right) has made me not especially freaked out by it, and also aware that making a huge issue of it doesn't help anyone.  Honestly, I also kinda feel like what people do to their own bodies ought to be their business.  I understand the ethical need to intervene if someone's doing life-threatening damage, but superficial cuts and the like almost feel like nitpicking.  (I spend a lot of time trying to help people recovering from things like alcoholism and heroin addiction and repeatedly diving into relationships with domestic violence and things like that, so I might have a skewed perspective on what battles you ought to pick, lol.)

Common in general?  I would have to hunt around to find the stat, but non-suicidal self-injury (NSSI) is actually really common, especially in my generation and down, because the media popularized it so damn much (and it's one of those things that tends to be really socially contagious, especially with kids or pre-established self-injurers). 

I think something like 1 in 4 college students had done it at least once.  I forget how they defined NSSI in various surveys, though- usually, they focus on cutting, bruising, and burning; sometimes also on skin-picking and hair-pulling, though personally I think that's usually a different animal.  If you count the more traditionally "masculine" forms of NSSI (like punching inanimate objects- which, believe me, fucks you long-term more than cutting does- I have at least one client who got arthritis from repeatedly fracturing his knuckles; frankly, getting into physical fights sometimes serves the same purpose for people/similar release, couples with an actual desire to get hurt), I honestly think it's probably even more than that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:54:38 AM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Meant common in friendships for you, not the specifics of cutting but the type of situation. Haven't had a large number of close personal friends, but that scenario strikes as a very burdensome thing for a friend to do, almost insisting you wear your professional hat. Not really sure what am trying to say here, other than it must be challenging if a common thing.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 05:54:50 AM »
Meant common in friendships for you, not the specifics of cutting but the type of situation. Haven't had a large number of close personal friends, but that scenario strikes as a very burdensome thing for a friend to do, almost insisting you wear your professional hat. Not really sure what am trying to say here, other than it must be challenging if a common thing.
Oh nononono, just her.  I mostly keep people like that out of my life.  I stick aorund people who are basically healthy, or at least don't ask too much of me.  Like I said, she was going through a lot, and she had/has earned a fair bit of loyalty.  I've backed off her quite a bit anyway at this point.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
I see. Thanks. :)

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »
Have seen some that look nice, and others not so great. It's hard to predict how consistently the body will scar.

My mother said she formed keloid scars after surgery.  If I take after her in that respect, I'd have BIG scars.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord. ~Leviticus 19:28

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord. ~Leviticus 19:28

What the hell was that?
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
That was the bible.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
That was a fuck up thing to say.
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
Yes. That was the bible.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 05:43:53 AM »
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.