Educational

Author Topic: "Unfit fot work- The startling rise of disability in America"  (Read 4172 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: "Unfit fot work- The startling rise of disability in America"
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
Oh and what would qualify as enlightened?

I too am sick of these folk:
We're talking young people, perhaps with minor mental disabilities, totally capable of work. They just refuse to. And they are spreading like fucking poison ivy. These little dinguses complain and bitch and whine, they are usually morbidly obese or addicted to a bunch of drugs that they mysteriously have the money for, etc.

especially the young ones who are convinced they have a disability that prevents them from working because they've been diagnosed with a mental disorder, and then spend a good chunk of their time blogging self-righteously about how oppressed they are. I have a particular stick up my ass about this one because I work for a living, and I've gotten close enough to at least one of these idiots to see how much of it is hot air and social manipulation.
Hate to use a gif twice for the same kind of thing... but.

I absolutely agree there should be tiers of assistance

Yeah. And the tier of assistance most of these little bastards would qualify for is a kick in the ass for being lazy and trying to con people.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
I wonder how much of this has to do with an increasing aged populous?
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
I am sure some of it is so get ready for it to get even worse as the babyboomers start to creak even more
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
I am sure some of it is so get ready for it to get even worse as the babyboomers start to creak even more
time to rethink Logan's Run.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
time to rethink Logan's Run.
Well at least until I get to be the cut off age :zoinks:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
Or injure yourself.  They shoot a lame horse why not a parts?
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
Or injure yourself.  They shoot a lame horse why not a parts?

Parts are always useful you should not waste them :zoinks:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
Not all mental disorders are "mild"

Not all young people on disability are lazy fuckers, in fact I see it all the time where I volunteer, young people (age 18-30) that want to work, are on disability because they've had trouble keeping a job or getting a job in the first place. These individuals are in fact very hard working, and don't want to spend the rest of their lives living off the government on a fixed income, nobody truly wants that unless you really are a lazy fuck. The majority of the people we work are those mental disorders, developmental disabilities, and autism spectrum.

I have to agree with PMS, I was a little shocked by some of the callous replies, but I guess it's natural to have a knee jerk reaction to something you don't have much first hand experience with.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
People just like to judge others.  I think it's an insecure reflex mechanism.
Misunderstood.

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
People just like to judge others.  I think it's an insecure reflex mechanism.

:indeed:

It seems some people have conveniently forgotten why they are here  :autism:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »
Not all mental disorders are "mild"

Not all young people on disability are lazy fuckers, in fact I see it all the time where I volunteer, young people (age 18-30) that want to work, are on disability because they've had trouble keeping a job or getting a job in the first place. These individuals are in fact very hard working, and don't want to spend the rest of their lives living off the government on a fixed income, nobody truly wants that unless you really are a lazy fuck. The majority of the people we work are those mental disorders, developmental disabilities, and autism spectrum.

I have to agree with PMS, I was a little shocked by some of the callous replies, but I guess it's natural to have a knee jerk reaction to something you don't have much first hand experience with.

Same old, same old. Both "sides" use this argument, "well it's not true of everyone!" Of course it's not true of everyone, there will always be lazy people and there will always be hardworking people. You have no way of backing up the statement that the majority of people (presumably you mean "who don't work" not "we work") are people with severe enough mental disabilities that their disability support is justified.

It's not a knee jerk reaction to say that some people don't have a severe enough disability to be literally incapable of working.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 05:57:44 AM »
There's "incapable of working," and then there's "incapable of sustaining adequate employment."  I agree that some people game the system.  Some people are also trapped by it.  Sometimes it's passed down through generations, where living off the government becomes a "norm," and I honestly believe that's a honeypot to be born into and hard to get out of.  So is lack of education.  And, to put it a bit harshly, so is lack of intelligence, in many cases.  So is lack of transportation (need the money to get the car to get the job to get the money to get the car- etc).  So is lack of job history- it's a problem that snowballs.

I see it every day- the cons gaming the system, as well as the people who will probably never be able to hold down a job.  Sometimes, it's both at once.  A lot of people in my generation especially have an unfortunate lack of grit and perseverance, which is a whole different rant and a whole different issue.  I also see a lot of people who are only qualified for physical work, who are in their fifties and above, will not be able to complete a degree, will probably not be hired sustainable, will not even be able to stay on their feet all day.  Physical jobs (including labor, but also just jobs where you're on your feet all day) have an earlier end point than desk jobs, and often the people who took those jobs in the first place end up least equipped to re-think their careers when they are no longer able to work.

What's someplace between depressing and infuriating is the plain and simple issue of what kinda of jobs do and don't exist any more.  It's much harder than it used to be to just 'find a job.'  Most sustainable jobs are high-skill now.  Pensions are more and more a thing of the past.  Lower-skill jobs that used to be for high school kids are now filled with workers across all ages- there's more competition to work in a damn grocery store nowadays than people even a decade ago would have believed possible.  Wages aren't rising as fast as the cost of living is.

So, yeah, I see it as a complex issue, and not just an issue of "those lazy fucks."

There's also the issue of whether or not giving out disability regardless of need or merit ultimately costs society more or less than whatever would happen without disability.  That's also a whole nother issue, but I know sometimes the stats on that kind of thing an be surprising.  It's actually cheaper, for example, to provide a family with housing, than to lodge them in a homeless shelter.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:09 AM »
There are makers and takers.  Most corporations are takers and laborers are makers.
I see a bigger problem, in America, with corporate welfare rather than welfare for the needy.

If I'm a single mother I can work two jobs (atminimum wage), work 50 hours per week and still live in poverty.  I would much rather live off disability and/or welfare and be home to raise/influence my children than work away from home and still live in poverty.

To me, a person that pays a shitload in taxes, my tax dollars spent helping he needy is my tax dollars well spent.  My tax dollars spent on corporate welfare, crony capitalism and war is a waste.
Misunderstood.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »
Lower-skill jobs that used to be for high school kids are now filled with workers across all ages- there's more competition to work in a damn grocery store nowadays than people even a decade ago would have believed possible.  Wages aren't rising as fast as the cost of living is.

This is true, and its an excuse to get angry and try to change things. But its not an excuse to give up.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 02:39:04 AM »
If I'm a single mother I can work two jobs (atminimum wage), work 50 hours per week and still live in poverty.  I would much rather live off disability and/or welfare and be home to raise/influence my children than work away from home and still live in poverty.

As someone who believes part of our tax dollars should be used to help the less fortunate, I have to say that there is something seriously with our country if it pays more for a single mom to be on welfare than it does for the single mom to work. Work is supposed to create a higher standard of living than welfare, not the other way around.