Educational

Author Topic: assault weapon ban  (Read 7742 times)

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
Re: assault weapon ban
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »
Am I?

A more accurate statement is that *I* don't consider the opinions of people that come from places with ludicrously draconian gun control as valid as those of people from more gun friendly places.

Did I say anything about rigging a vote, no, I only stated who's opinions I consider valid.

There are plenty of anti-gun individuals in the US who's opinions I consider valid.

It is common sense that if you live in a nation with draconian gun control, that you will think guns are evil.

Again, this isn't about that. It's about you having some very strange views about who's allowed to have an opinion, or rather, whose opinions you consider to be valid. "Rigging the vote" is a figure of speech.

You didn't answer any of my earlier questions, btw. I'd be interested to know where you draw the line re having to try the things you want to have a say in.

Take your time. :popcorn:

You are trying to bait me into a corner. The other issues that you mentioned are not the issues at hand.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Am I?

A more accurate statement is that *I* don't consider the opinions of people that come from places with ludicrously draconian gun control as valid as those of people from more gun friendly places.

Did I say anything about rigging a vote, no, I only stated who's opinions I consider valid.

There are plenty of anti-gun individuals in the US who's opinions I consider valid.

It is common sense that if you live in a nation with draconian gun control, that you will think guns are evil.

Again, this isn't about that. It's about you having some very strange views about who's allowed to have an opinion, or rather, whose opinions you consider to be valid. "Rigging the vote" is a figure of speech.

You didn't answer any of my earlier questions, btw. I'd be interested to know where you draw the line re having to try the things you want to have a say in.

You are trying to bait me into a corner. The other issues that you mentioned are not the issues at hand.

If you think your opinion about guns is only valid if you've fired one, surely that same logic can be applied to other things, in which case I want to know where you draw the line. Why should guns be special?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
Am I?

If you think your opinion about guns is only valid if you've fired one, surely that same logic can be applied to other things, in which case I want to know where you draw the line. Why should guns be special?

You are trying to spin my words to your advantage. Again, the other issues are not the issues at hand. Maybe you missed the part where I said that I consider the opinions of anti-gun Americans valid.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
In other words, you not only want to rig the vote in favour of what you support, you also think it's perfectly legit.
Nope. I only want to vote for what I support, and I want to stop any politicians or business intrests from rigging the vote in favor of what they support. I think that's perfectly legit.

Not the issue here, Rage.

I would certainly hope so.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
You are trying to spin my words to your advantage. Again, the other issues are not the issues at hand. Maybe you missed the part where I said that I consider the opinions of anti-gun Americans valid.

I did see that, but you also said this:

If you have never fired a gun, your opinion on them is invalid.

So does this mean that only those anti-gun Americans that have fired a gun can have valid opinions about them? Or is it that only Americans can have valid opinions about them?

Your views about whose opinions are valid depending on what we happen to be discussing should certainly be of interest here. You may not want to go there, considering that it's your credibility on the line here, but that's not really my problem, is it?

And now that I think of it, what powers do those who have fired a gun gain by pulling the trigger? What does it change?

:popcorn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »
You're way over TA's head odeon.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »

Let's hope not. This is fun.

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »

In TA's defense, I think I see where he's coming from, you shouldn't criticize something you're ignorant of. Also, when you live in counties where the news has certain biases, makes it difficult to have an informed opinion if all that you hear is one side of an argument.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2013, 12:02:32 AM »

In TA's defense, I think I see where he's coming from, you shouldn't criticize something you're ignorant of. Also, when you live in counties where the news has certain biases, makes it difficult to have an informed opinion if all that you hear is one side of an argument.

Informed opinions are valuable, I agree, but what I think about guns wasn't the issue here, TA's comment was. "Informed opinion" does not equal "have fired gun".

As an aside, I have been following the gun debate in the US for years. I do tend to be pro control and will readily agree that Michael Moore did more to convince me than did Charlton Heston, but I've more or less ignored the media in my country. They are ignorant of most of the issues and will only report based on the latest school shooting. I have learned more about guns here, ffs.

And besides, I have fired a gun so I am allowed to have an opinion. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »

I did see that, but you also said this:

If you have never fired a gun, your opinion on them is invalid.

So does this mean that only those anti-gun Americans that have fired a gun can have valid opinions about them? Or is it that only Americans can have valid opinions about them?

Your views about whose opinions are valid depending on what we happen to be discussing should certainly be of interest here. You may not want to go there, considering that it's your credibility on the line here, but that's not really my problem, is it?

And now that I think of it, what powers do those who have fired a gun gain by pulling the trigger? What does it change?

:popcorn:

I read back to the beginning of the thread, that was more of  troll response to a troll.

Anywho, you live in a very anti-gun part of the World, therefore you are taught that guns are evil machines of death when in actuality, they are inanimate objects that happen to be the mechanism of a controlled explosion that releases a metallic projectile and nothing more. Those that have fired a weapon know that, and those that have not only know what they have been told.

Scrapheap

« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
I do tend to be pro control and will readily agree that Michael Moore did more to convince me than did Charlton Heston,

Did Michael Moore also influence your opinion on 9/11??

chogh, cough...   the guy is a hack and a liar.

Scrapheap

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
Time to pull the trump card in this debate.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
What the hell, i'll add.

I will never stop...

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »

Pretty much. Problem is, it ain't limited to what's currently legal either.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

Pretty much. Problem is, it ain't limited to what's currently legal either.

Elaborate please. I'm not really sure what you're saying. Gun control isn't currently limited? Or what?
I will never stop...