Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134143 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #11040 on: May 04, 2011, 03:18:30 PM »
Took Prince Albert to jury duty and picked him up when they were dismissed (everyone settled without a jury), made b'fast, got money,  paid bills, shopped at the thrift store, figured finances, fed the family lunch and dinner, washed and hung a load of clothes, not in any particular order.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11041 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Worked  on restoring  a oak tool box I found
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #11042 on: May 04, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
Today I rode my bike for a bit, visited my previous workplace, ate something from the canteen there and spoke with some folks there.

Rode on further, visited a camping/trailer park to see if there was something I liked. Well, the park is doable money-wise but too trashy for me.
Too small a plots too.

Got some groceries on my way back, took a shower and a nap, made dinner and sprinkled the garden.

Other things.

Sprinkled the garden?     :pee:

~

I really have nothing against you, QV.. but think this, is again.. quite an emotional respond from you.. to a post of mine. Why?

It's the otter thing, isn't it? Well, you quoted me in the Squid's sarcastically meant and funny thread,
stating he turned straight due to god and stuff.

Um, this all in good fun, he did.. but you added your not that sensible emotional respond there to my, not to take too serious, post, QV.

Well, I'm sorry you feel this way.. but please remember I don't aim for the heart.. and never will do so when folks don't aim for mine..
I just do not belief in god and think religion, in general, deluded folks for way too long now.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11043 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
Today I rode my bike for a bit, visited my previous workplace, ate something from the canteen there and spoke with some folks there.

Rode on further, visited a camping/trailer park to see if there was something I liked. Well, the park is doable money-wise but too trashy for me.
Too small a plots too.

Got some groceries on my way back, took a shower and a nap, made dinner and sprinkled the garden.

Other things.

~

I really have nothing against you, QV.. but think this, is again.. quite an emotional respond from you.. to a post of mine. Why?

It's the otter thing, isn't it? Well, you quoted me in the Squid's sarcastically meant and funny thread,

Um, this all in good fun, he did.. but you added your not that sensible emotional respond there to my, not to take too serious, post, QV.

Well, I'm sorry you feel this way.. but please remember I don't aim for the heart.. and never will do so when folks don't aim for mine..
I just do not belief in god and think religion, in general, deluded folks for way too long now.

I'm sure QV will be along to say it better than I can, but I think you see hostility where none was intended.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #11044 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
Okay, but wish to hear Queen Victoria's stance on this really, MLA.

Osensitive1

« Reply #11045 on: May 04, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »
Have yet to see her majesty be harsh with anyone, except maybe one but he said some nasty shit so hardly blame her. Though, yes, better to hear from her.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11046 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
Explanation:  I posted the emoticon as a play on "sprinkle", as in peeing on the garden.  In the women's public bathrooms in the US you will often see a sign that says, "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, Please be neat and raise the seat."  It was the combination of these two words in the sign that generated the sprinkle on the garden connection.  

Apology:  I regret that my attempt at humour fell flat and that you felt any negative emotions about it.  Please accept my apology.

I will have to look up the otter/Squid post to prepare my apology for that, please be patient.

Found it:  I was remarking on the fact that the otter was identified as a squirrel or kangaroo.  My suggestion was to get outside and see nature so that animals can be identified properly.  (The otter is one of my favorite animals so I'm more than a little fond of them.)  I did not intend it to be a comment on religion or religious beliefs.  I was raised Catholic, am married to a Lutheran, raising a Lutheran daughter who went to a Catholic Special School for her high school years, consider myself to be Jewish and have an athiest sister.  I try very hard to stay away from religious discussions because they are so intensely personal.

Apology:  I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my post.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:51:13 PM by Queen Victoria »

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #11047 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
Okay, I apologize too.. towards you, QV. Think we both know the weight of this is..  very little/not too heavy now.

Misconstruing. It sucks, I say.

Ja, I'm like a member of the Mustelidae family (lutra and erminea, yet human of course, earthly based, feet on solid ground but..) playful, intelligent but
with a bunch of very sharp teeth also..

Well, let's move on, please.. (I hope)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11048 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
I must thank you for inspiring me to get some more useless (?) facts.  Because I didn't know what Mustelaide meant, I googled Lutra and found (voila)

Lutra is a genus of otters.

Lutra nippon - Japanese otter
Lutra sumatrana - Hairy-nosed otter
Lutra lutra - European otter

You must be an European otter, which sounds nicer than a Hairy-nosed otter.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11049 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »

Too small a plots too.

Other things.

~

I took the peeing emoticon as a joke, a play on words with the word sprinkle, too.

Maybe sprinkle is just an American slang for urinate that doesn't translate well.

I have done something similar with a British slang expression before.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11050 on: May 04, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »

Too small a plots too.

Other things.

~

I took the peeing emoticon as a joke, a play on words with the word sprinkle, too.

Maybe sprinkle is just an American slang for urinate that doesn't translate well.

I have done something similar with a British slang expression before.

I still don't understand "take the piss".  Is this an old expression, or fairly new?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11051 on: May 04, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
Take your piss, I mean take your pick.

Origin"Take the piss" may be a reference to a related (and dated) idiomatic expression, piss-proud. This is a vulgar pun referring to the morning erections men frequently experience, which have long been popularly attributed to arising from a full bladder, and thus could be considered a "false" erection. In a metaphoric sense, then, someone who is "piss-proud" would suffer from false pride, and taking the piss out of them refers to deflating this false pride, through disparagement or mockery. As knowledge of the expression's metaphoric origin became lost on users, "taking the piss out of" came to be synonymous with disparagement or mockery itself, with less regard to the pride of the subject.

"Take the mickey" may be an abbreviated form of the Cockney rhyming slang "take the mickey bliss", a euphemism for "take the piss." It has also been suggested that "Mickey" is a contraction of "micturate" (urine), in which case "take the micturate" would be a synonymous euphemism for "take the piss." The phrase has been noted since the 1930s.

Alternative theories of origin

One theory is that during the age of the canals in Britain, urine would be brought up the canals to the wool mills in Northern England (particularly to Yorkshire), as urine was used in the process of fixing dye to wool. This was particularly the case for the dyeing items blue with indigo or more traditionally with woad, before synthetic dyes were invented or made commercially available. Being in the business of transporting urine was much less lucrative than transporting wine, so when the boatmen were questioned what they were carrying they would lie and say "I'm taking wine" and the response would be "No you're taking the piss" to express disbelief.

Another theory is that, when tanners had huge pots outside where they worked, the public would be encouraged to urinate into these pots as tanners used the urine to help with tanning and then the saying of "taking the piss" came into use.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11052 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Thanks  :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11053 on: May 04, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »