Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134051 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #8370 on: July 20, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Helped my sister-in-law set up a receiver, speakers and a subwoofer. I'm very pleased about how it turned out. 
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8371 on: July 20, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »
Paid bills.  The old-fashioned way.  got exact amounts for each bill from the bank and went to the stores and paid them. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8372 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Helped my sister-in-law set up a receiver, speakers and a subwoofer. I'm very pleased about how it turned out. 
:thumbup:

Cool!

About a month ago I set up a stereo receiver, mounted two small bookshelf speakers on the wall, hid the wiring, installed a five disc changer in my son's bedroom. He helped a lot (I made him hook it all up, but I drilled the holes in the wall for him)

A couple of days ago, he asked if I thought he needed a subwoofer.
 :lol:

He responds differently at times to my house shaking, "TRULY"  sub-audible reproduction system and he knows that he can use it any time he needs to feel the house shake.
My answer:

"Uhh, no, Son, you do not need a subwoofer. If I was trying to get the most out of a limited budget like yours, I would just buy more CDs for now."

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8373 on: July 20, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »
I worked!  :GA:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #8374 on: July 20, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
I lazed about pretty much all day today.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8375 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:01 PM »
CBC, understand that it is not ending with this one post, nor the dozens of previous posts where I have cried like a big ole puss about this.

One of my biggest worries these days, is that my nine year old daughter seeks out certain pain at times.  She can not fool me. I know what she is doing.

She may have the same thing going on with her tactile sense as her father has.  Maybe I can help her, but she has to admit it to me (and to herself) first. She has not found the courage.

It worries me ...
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8376 on: July 21, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »
CBC, understand that it is not ending with this one post, nor the dozens of previous posts where I have cried like a big ole puss about this.

One of my biggest worries these days, is that my nine year old daughter seeks out certain pain at times.  She can not fool me. I know what she is doing.

She may have the same thing going on with her tactile sense as her father has.  Maybe I can help her, but she has to admit it to me (and to herself) first. She has not found the courage.

It worries me ...

Have you asked her outright? She may not yet have the language to explain it. At least she has a dad who will understand, and not judge.  :)

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8377 on: July 21, 2010, 06:47:20 AM »
So far I have done pathetically little. I'm still waking up!  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8378 on: July 21, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »
Just took my multivitamin, that's another day it hasn't choked me!  :P

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8379 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:17 AM »

It worries me ...

Have you asked her outright? She may not yet have the language to explain it. At least she has a dad who will understand, and not judge.  :)

Yes, of course.

This why my assessment of her level of courage seems so harsh. She denies that she is even doing this, still. 

I think that she just simply does not understand it. I was an adult when I began to even conceive that there was "some possibility that I could possibly" be losing my sensation and it was a long time after this epiphany that I began to recognize the patterns. Even then, I still did not understand what was going on, I just knew that every so often I needed to be left the fuck alone for a few days.

This created a stressful situation for me and anyone wise enough to overlook my other quirks and try to befriend me.
 :violin:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8380 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:11 AM »

It worries me ...

Yes, of course.

This why my assessment of her level of courage seems so harsh. She denies that she is even doing this, still. 

I think that she just simply does not understand it. I was an adult when I began to even conceive that there was "some possibility that I could possibly" be losing my sensation and it was a long time after this epiphany that I began to recognize the patterns. Even then, I still did not understand what was going on, I just knew that every so often I needed to be left the fuck alone for a few days.

This created a stressful situation for me and anyone wise enough to overlook my other quirks and try to befriend me.

I suppose people took it personally. I do understand needing to be left alone. I live alone, which works well for me.

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8381 on: July 21, 2010, 08:29:52 AM »

I had a dip in the pool as the sun rose. It was a little cool at first, but after a bit, it became so refreshing that I did not want to get out and do stuff.

I am still working on organizing my garage. It is my only workspace where I can create projects. My inability to keep a clean workspace hs to be reversed after each project or else I spend all my time looking for shit.

Back to it again, soon.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8382 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »

It worries me ...

Yes, of course.

I suppose people took it personally. I do understand needing to be left alone. I live alone, which works well for me.

I don't have the sensory issues, but what I do feel at times, in the presence of other people, is a kind of mortification at my own existence. Does that make any sense? It's not just the kind of self-consciousness rooted in fear of being laughed at. It's a weird kind of embarrassment that conventional therapists would probably attribute to "low self-esteem," but I don't think that's what it's about. It isn't so much wanting to be better, it's wanting to be invisible.

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8383 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »

I do understand that, but it comes out in me more as wanting to be a "fly on the wall;"  invisible but aware, because I do not want to miss anything.
 :asthing:

I think that would fall under the definition of self centeredness, but well short of clinical narcissism, considering that if you begin to make me the center of anything, I become a "pillar of salt" and I become completely stoic and even unresponsive. At work, new people in management still try to "inspire me"  by giving me awards. I hate them. I hate the awards thing in general. I do not respond predictably to being given an award.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8384 on: July 21, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »

I do understand that, but it comes out in me more as wanting to be a "fly on the wall;"  invisible but aware, because I do not want to miss anything.
 :asthing:

I think that would fall under the definition of self centeredness, but well short of clinical narcissism, considering that if you begin to make me the center of anything, I become a "pillar of salt" and I become completely stoic and even unresponsive. At work, new people in management still try to "inspire me"  by giving me awards. I hate them. I hate the awards thing in general. I do not respond predictably to being given an award.

Invisible but aware, yes. I always want my brain to keep working and processing things. It just is an unpleasant feeling to become self-aware at times and to realize with renewed clarity that I exist in physical form and people can see me and judge me. Yeah, part of what I feel probably is fear of other people's opinions, but I don't think that's all of it.

I also hate being expected to react in certain ways to certain things. It's hard to conjure up the response people want. I hate feeling "put on the spot" in that way.

People forget.