Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134471 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #4755 on: December 05, 2008, 03:51:52 AM »
Got laid off from my job. Well it was seasonal so only another 2 weeks to go. Still, I would've liked to have gone the distance.

I'm sorry.

Maybe they did not have enough business due to the economy.

TheoK

« Reply #4756 on: December 05, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »
The dollar goes up. Weird economic crisis.  ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:55:36 AM by TheoK »

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4757 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:48 AM »
The dollar goes up. Weird economic crises.  ???

Yes, I agree that it is weird.

The value of a dollar has gone up and gas prices have gone down, so that's good.

However, the stock market is down and there is lots of unemployment, which causes people to spend much less during this holiday season than in previous years and so this gets even more people laid off.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4758 on: December 05, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »
Got laid off from my job. Well it was seasonal so only another 2 weeks to go. Still, I would've liked to have gone the distance.
sorry to hear it. i am still trying to get back to a job that is being held for me.

i might be going to sleep right now.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #4759 on: December 05, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
Went shopping. It's been a while. Spent money.

I plan a trip as well.

I've have saved for my media box over the past few months, but I've decided to go from scratch. I plan for to buy an empty box fulll of fans to satrt, then a power suppply. MObo wou.d; be next, quad core processor style (stilll fighting with myself over the processsor and brd). As much RAmM as the BIOS. Can use. then

my fugires tell me after all theis I have about six hundred bucks for a grapihicsk card. I've ahve never owned a currrent graphic cards.
A squeeezebox will be the sound, so I willl not even need a sound system

This is the case I'm looking at getting for my next Media PC: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=lc16m&area=usa

And this is the Mobo that I'm looking at: http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2919

Probably an Intel Q9550 would be a good choice for a Quad Core CPU for you. I'm going to go with a Dual Core Intel E8400 just to save some dollars considering the most complex thing it will do will be to play Bluray/HDTV stuff eventually (could be very soon, there is a very good chance we are getting a 50" or so Plasma for xmas for the family).

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4760 on: December 05, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »
A dual core is more than enough if you don't run Windows. :P ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #4761 on: December 05, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Same old same old.  Just exercising less.  I  bought some spirulina from the healthfood store,  getting the same deal.  Ginko extract was $3.00 off also, so I bought that.   I don't know how may times I took the 420mg dose of ginko extract, but it wasn't even remotely overstimulating.  Over 240 mg can cause overstimulation.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4762 on: December 05, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »

The value of a dollar has gone up and gas prices have gone down, so that's good.

However, the stock market is down and there is lots of unemployment, which causes people to spend much less during this holiday season than in previous years and so this gets even more people laid off.

The stock market is taking a much over due correction. The dollar moving is an indication of international faith in the resilience and diversity of the economy in this country.

Here's an interesting set of figures:

In our district (where I work; I mean our district, consisting of fourteen stores, not our single store location) our traffic (which is the actual number of people entering the door) is down by twelve percent, BUT, our revenue (actual dollars taken in) is up by three percent over this same time last year. Those are quarterly numbers, BTW. That is roughly equivalent to inflation, even though our traffic is down. Not too bad, really. (I can get into deep doodoo for posting this type of information, so I have made it anonymous, but you know what I'm talking about.)

Yes, there are some large over extended banks having problems and auto manufacturers have been milked dry by the UAW, in recent years. I don't think these businesses represent typical economical climactic conditions, though. They get all the press, because they are American institutions, large, old ones. I think most of the globe, and most especially those of us who live here, believes that quite a number of "American institutions"  need a nip and a tuck here and there. Maybe it's finally happening.

As far as lay offs, we must realize that the fact that the numbers are large, no one seems to be taking into account that the work force is also much larger than the Eighties decade they keep comparing with the present.

I need more convincing that the sky is actually falling, before I get out my Chicken Little suit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:56:54 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4763 on: December 05, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »
Worked got home early and slept
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #4764 on: December 05, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Masturbated, picked up cat from vet, went shopping, came home, ate Kung Pao Chicken, drank beer, listened to Miles Davis and will now listen to even MORE Miles Fuckin' Davis.  :dance:
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4765 on: December 05, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »

Cool!

I love Miles Davis.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #4766 on: December 05, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »
Miles Davis--On The Corner  :dance:

"If you got ears, then you gotta listen!"--Captain Beefheart
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4767 on: December 06, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
Went for a  walk.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:56:49 AM by enronhubbard »

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4768 on: December 06, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »

The stock market is taking a much over due correction. The dollar moving is an indication of international faith in the resilience and diversity of the economy in this country.

Here's an interesting set of figures:

In our district (where I work; I mean our district, consisting of fourteen stores, not our single store location) our traffic (which is the actual number of people entering the door) is down by twelve percent, BUT, our revenue (actual dollars taken in) is up by three percent over this same time last year. Those are quarterly numbers, BTW. That is roughly equivalent to inflation, even though our traffic is down. Not too bad, really. (I can get into deep doodoo for posting this type of information, so I have made it anonymous, but you know what I'm talking about.)

Yes, there are some large over extended banks having problems and auto manufacturers have been milked dry by the UAW, in recent years. I don't think these businesses represent typical economical climactic conditions, though. They get all the press, because they are American institutions, large, old ones. I think most of the globe, and most especially those of us who live here, believes that quite a number of "American institutions"  need a nip and a tuck here and there. Maybe it's finally happening.

As far as lay offs, we must realize that the fact that the numbers are large, no one seems to be taking into account that the work force is also much larger than the Eighties decade they keep comparing with the present.

I need more convincing that the sky is actually falling, before I get out my Chicken Little suit.

Good point that the stock market was probably artificially over-valued and was due for a correction anyway. 

I think that the economy may be better in some places and worse in others.  In the town where I grew up, it's terrible, but it's a little better where I live now.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4769 on: December 06, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
Slept a lot
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw