Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134062 times)

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #4185 on: September 20, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
Selling shit on Ebay to keep our house.

Came VERY close to selling the gold ten dollar coin my father gave me, which was his father's...  just couldn't do it.

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

ozymandias

« Reply #4186 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
Selling shit on Ebay to keep our house.

Came VERY close to selling the gold ten dollar coin my father gave me, which was his father's...  just couldn't do it.

I couldn't either, it's not worth it.    :plus:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4187 on: September 20, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
Converted a Windows XP SP3 install into Windows Media Centre Edition 2005.

Not bad having a Windows MCE that is Volume Licence that flags as Genuine and doesn't need any activation hacks  :green:

All over the Intergeeks anyway, mate. The punishment comes when you've installed it all and it fucks up, which Windows will inevitably do.

That's why you have test machines and try every combination of shit to make it break. Then you know what works and what doesn't.

Most of the time its shitty 3rd partys apps or crap drivers that bring windows down. So be careful and choosy about what you install and its all good.

There's something seriously wrong with an OS that will crash because of a misbehaving user space application.
Linux will crash on the basis of a faulty driver, in fact I have had loads of problems with it due to that reason. Plus programs themselves seem to crash more often on it, I haven't had much fun with Firefox on there.

I've used Linux since the mid-90s and don't recognise this at all. A kernel module that is misbehaving can bring down the OS, yes, but that's quite rare. I think I've managed to make it happen a dozen or so times, mostly because I'm running an unstable/experimental distro and upgrade everything very often.

If you compile the stuff yourself it's a bit different because you can cause kernel panic if you do it wrong. Compile a kernel and link to the file system module rather than including it will cause kernel panic, for example, but that's not something I'd blame on Linux.

As for programs crashing, nope, I don't recognise that either. Firefox is a lot more stable on my Debian Linux than it is on my Windows XP work laptop. The same goes with most of the programs I use, form email clients to OpenOffice.

What distro did you run, and what drivers (assuming you're talking about kernel modules, btw) caused it to crash?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4188 on: September 20, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »

Not bad having a Windows MCE that is Volume Licence that flags as Genuine and doesn't need any activation hacks  :green:

All over the Intergeeks anyway, mate. The punishment comes when you've installed it all and it fucks up, which Windows will inevitably do.

That's why you have test machines and try every combination of shit to make it break. Then you know what works and what doesn't.

Most of the time its shitty 3rd partys apps or crap drivers that bring windows down. So be careful and choosy about what you install and its all good.

There's something seriously wrong with an OS that will crash because of a misbehaving user space application.
Linux will crash on the basis of a faulty driver, in fact I have had loads of problems with it due to that reason. Plus programs themselves seem to crash more often on it, I haven't had much fun with Firefox on there.

I've used Linux since the mid-90s and don't recognise this at all. A kernel module that is misbehaving can bring down the OS, yes, but that's quite rare. I think I've managed to make it happen a dozen or so times, mostly because I'm running an unstable/experimental distro and upgrade everything very often.

If you compile the stuff yourself it's a bit different because you can cause kernel panic if you do it wrong. Compile a kernel and link to the file system module rather than including it will cause kernel panic, for example, but that's not something I'd blame on Linux.

As for programs crashing, nope, I don't recognise that either. Firefox is a lot more stable on my Debian Linux than it is on my Windows XP work laptop. The same goes with most of the programs I use, form email clients to OpenOffice.

What distro did you run, and what drivers (assuming you're talking about kernel modules, btw) caused it to crash?
I ran Ubuntu EEE, and it went disasterously. The network settings atm refuse to give my access to the higher level features. Looks like I have to go back to Win XP, when I can afford it.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4189 on: September 20, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »

I ran Ubuntu EEE, and it went disasterously. The network settings atm refuse to give my access to the higher level features. Looks like I have to go back to Win XP, when I can afford it.

What was the driver that crashed Ubuntu? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4190 on: September 20, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »

No idea. All I know is that now for whatever reason, I cannot access lots of advanced settings. Settings that I need for university, for example.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4191 on: September 20, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »

No idea. All I know is that now for whatever reason, I cannot access lots of advanced settings. Settings that I need for university, for example.

That's not a crash. It's probably simple enough to fix. Could be a permissions issue, now that I think of it.

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4192 on: September 20, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
goomh!  i was just thinking about buying a digicam, specially.  :LMAO:
A cheap phone will do. Or you could invite P around to do the honours, and give a commentary.

can you imagine!

:LMAO:

mind you, i have considered getting pea round here with his claymore, on a number of occasions.  trouble is, he'd the one to get into trouble with the police.  ::)

still, seeing a 6'+ claymore-wielding spaz would scare the tits off anyone, eh?

:rofl:
It depends if they could ID him.  Or maybe P could lure them into attempting to strike the first blow, then it would be self defence.

Anyway, have they been evicted yet?

ozymandias

« Reply #4193 on: September 20, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »
Fixed a problem

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4194 on: September 20, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
Packed for the flea market
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #4195 on: September 20, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »

Funny thing, XP hasn't cost me money ever. Probably another reason I haven't switched to linux, for me they cost the same.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4196 on: September 20, 2008, 08:26:07 PM »
A cheap phone will do. Or you could invite P around to do the honours, and give a commentary.

can you imagine!

mind you, i have considered getting pea round here with his claymore, on a number of occasions.  trouble is, he'd the one to get into trouble with the police.  ::)

It depends if they could ID him.  Or maybe P could lure them into attempting to strike the first blow, then it would be self defence.

I couldn't see P having a problem doing that.  :green:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4197 on: September 21, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »

can you imagine!

when i told the police that i'd have no difficulty finding six reliable witnesses to say they hit me first, wink, wink, he grinned an evil grin.  believe me, they want them gone nearly as much as i do.   :evillaugh:

sadly, no.  last night was a pain in the arse.   :grrr:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4198 on: September 21, 2008, 01:18:13 AM »

can you imagine!

I couldn't see P having a problem doing that.  :green:

he's not the only one...  >:D

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4199 on: September 21, 2008, 05:40:05 AM »
when i told the police that i'd have no difficulty finding six reliable witnesses to say they hit me first, wink, wink, he grinned an evil grin.  believe me, they want them gone nearly as much as i do.   :evillaugh:

Heh, yeah I've had that experience when we had neighbours from Satan's unwashed arsehole. The cops soooo wanted them gone.