Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134195 times)

Blasted

Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #4170 on: September 20, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »
^hahahahahah you avie is moving in time to my music!  :green:

ozymandias

« Reply #4171 on: September 20, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »
Gotten fucking pissed at the layers of stuff I have to go thru to just get a simple music download!   :finger:

Legal or otherwise?

Legal

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #4172 on: September 20, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
^hahahahahah you avie is moving in time to my music!  :green:

The song he is meant to be dancing to is 991 is a Joke by Public Enemy, but yeah, it's pretty cool when u see shit like that.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4173 on: September 20, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »
Gotten fucking pissed at the layers of stuff I have to go thru to just get a simple music download!   :finger:

Legal or otherwise?

Legal

See, there's ya problem right there.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4174 on: September 20, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »

Legal or otherwise?

Legal
Rapidshare or Torrent is the best way to get stuff. If you feel guilty, donate to your local charities a few quid.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4175 on: September 20, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
Converted a Windows XP SP3 install into Windows Media Centre Edition 2005.

Not bad having a Windows MCE that is Volume Licence that flags as Genuine and doesn't need any activation hacks  :green:

All over the Intergeeks anyway, mate. The punishment comes when you've installed it all and it fucks up, which Windows will inevitably do.

That's why you have test machines and try every combination of shit to make it break. Then you know what works and what doesn't.

Most of the time its shitty 3rd partys apps or crap drivers that bring windows down. So be careful and choosy about what you install and its all good.

There's something seriously wrong with an OS that will crash because of a misbehaving user space application.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4176 on: September 20, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »

Not bad having a Windows MCE that is Volume Licence that flags as Genuine and doesn't need any activation hacks  :green:

All over the Intergeeks anyway, mate. The punishment comes when you've installed it all and it fucks up, which Windows will inevitably do.

That's why you have test machines and try every combination of shit to make it break. Then you know what works and what doesn't.

Most of the time its shitty 3rd partys apps or crap drivers that bring windows down. So be careful and choosy about what you install and its all good.

There's something seriously wrong with an OS that will crash because of a misbehaving user space application.

90% of computer users can't be wrong!  :green:

Thing is, you make everything too safe, the system is hard to program for and it doesn't have any speed for gaming I guess. Well that's the theory anyway.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4177 on: September 20, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »

Legal or otherwise?

Legal
Rapidshare or Torrent is the best way to get stuff. If you feel guilty, donate to your local charities a few quid.

I find eMule is better for older or rare music.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4178 on: September 20, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »

Thing is, you make everything too safe, the system is hard to program for and it doesn't have any speed for gaming I guess. Well that's the theory anyway.

Actually separating kernel and user spaces is the theory. Makes it easier to program, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4179 on: September 20, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »

Actually separating kernel and user spaces is the theory. Makes it easier to program, too.

Isn't that what they tried to do with Vista? I know audio drivers are shit house compared to XP, not to mention all the crap that happened for ages re video drivers. With audio drivers, most companies just didn't even bother unless it was the very latest audio chip. I think only Realtek came to the table there, and Creative very reluctantly. I mean there was that fiasco with that guy who hacked their drivers to get more functionality out them.

I'd be more inclined to give Linux a serious try if they could get things like Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect working there.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4180 on: September 20, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »

Isn't that what they tried to do with Vista? I know audio drivers are shit house compared to XP, not to mention all the crap that happened for ages re video drivers. With audio drivers, most companies just didn't even bother unless it was the very latest audio chip. I think only Realtek came to the table there, and Creative very reluctantly. I mean there was that fiasco with that guy who hacked their drivers to get more functionality out them.

I think they tried separating the kernel and user spaces in Vista, yes, but since Vista is not a complete rewrite of the Windows kernel, AFAIK, it doesn't prove anything, really. But certainly if you look at the new folder structure, they've been glancing at the 'nix way of things.

I'd be more inclined to give Linux a serious try if they could get things like Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect working there.

Both of those are proprietary techniques so Linux won't support them until Dolby or DTS release their specs, or when a particularly good programmer finds a way to hack them. Dolby especially is in Microsoft's pocket so it probably won't happen anytime soon. :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #4181 on: September 20, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »
I woke up today... so it's started out shitty already.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4182 on: September 20, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

Linux will crash on the basis of a faulty driver, in fact I have had loads of problems with it due to that reason. Plus programs themselves seem to crash more often on it, I haven't had much fun with Firefox on there.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4183 on: September 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
Looked at a house to work on and talked for what seemed like ever to the owner but the prospects of getting it are good
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #4184 on: September 20, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »
Mailed some thank you notes out, retrieved mail and donated my read magazines to the local library.