Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134372 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #3810 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »
I remember walking through the grounds at University of WA and seeing lots of people sitting outside smoking pot. :P

Well, I'd be screwed then.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3811 on: June 27, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
I remember walking through the grounds at University of WA and seeing lots of people sitting outside smoking pot. :P

It sucks that you have to resit, Hadron. I learnt that lesson when I was in Year 12. I regret it, hopefully I can make up for that.
In Durham nearly no one smokes pot, though I could get hold of it if I wanted...

In a way its a good thing, I need to learn how to actually do uni courses properly, rather than taking the piss all the time. Next year actually counts, so I have to pull my finger out..

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3812 on: June 27, 2008, 07:13:11 AM »
:laugh:
In Durham nearly no one smokes pot, though I could get hold of it if I wanted...

In a way its a good thing, I need to learn how to actually do uni courses properly, rather than taking the piss all the time. Next year actually counts, so I have to pull my finger out..
I can understand this.

I have been floating around for 10 years not really doing anything, not knowing what I wanted to do....
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3813 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »
:laugh:

I can understand this.

I have been floating around for 10 years not really doing anything, not knowing what I wanted to do....
Oh I am floating really, it was a choice between academia and getting a real job.

If you like the idea of that Open thing, its not too hard to register for a short introductory module. Give them a call and enquire basically.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3814 on: June 27, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
Today I've gone through the longest, most extensive eye examination I have ever had. Two and a half hours worth!! The doctor said that my vision  is 20/20. She was really trying her best to narrow down my astigmatism and give me the best updated prescription possible. She said that my eyes are very healthy, but my inability to focus up close in low light (like at work) is a non-negotiable part of being fifty-ish and I am "well ahead of the game."

YaY!

We also discovered that my perception of depth goes beyond the testing capability of her equipment. The smallest increment of change she can make is blatantly obvious to me. Proved it over and over again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:54:41 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3815 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
Can I have your eyes?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3816 on: June 27, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »

Yes, when I'm done looking at things.

I asked a lot of questions, too. I'm sure that slowed her down a bit.
I also got to see the very first imagery of my own retinas that has ever been captured.
Another thing that took a long time was the fact that the chemicals they use to dilated pupils, to enable them to inspect or photograph the retina did not work well on my eyes. Usually two drops in each eye makes people effectively blind for about an hour. She used twelve drops in each eye, waiting a bit between each dose, and still had to have me reposition my head while she captured the images. She generally does the scan in one panoramic shot, but she had to take three of mine, because they would not dilate.

"Weird,"  she noted.
 :-\
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3817 on: June 27, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
Today I've gone through the longest, most extensive eye examination I have ever had. Two and a half hours worth!! The doctor said that my vision  is 20/20. She was really trying her best to narrow down my astigmatism and give me the best updated prescription possible. She said that my eyes are very healthy, but my inability to focus up close in low light (like at work) is a non-negotiable part of being fifty-ish and I am "well ahead of the game."

YaY!

We also discovered that my perception of depth goes beyond the testing capability of her equipment. The smallest increment of change she can make is blatantly obvious to me. Proved it over and over again.
Two and a half hours is a long time for an eye test. Unless the eyecharts made up a decent novel or something, then i would die of boredom.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3818 on: June 27, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »

YaY!

Two and a half hours is a long time for an eye test. Unless the eyecharts made up a decent novel or something, then i would die of boredom.

She pulled out all her toys, not just a simple eye chart.

She had an old guy in her office complaining about his eyesight deteriorating and still blowing every test she came up with completely out of the water. I suppose I challenged her in some way. She was very nice and very patient. It was only my third eye test as an adult and she had lots of cool techie stuff.

I also asked if the letters should appear to enlarge toward one end, worried if that was a symptom of something. I had not yet realised that her eye chart was a projected image and there was a slight parallax. She was surprised that I could detect that and told me that the standard for parallax errors was 1.5 degrees and hers were calibrated to 0.6 degrees, "... besides, how do you know what parallax is?"  

I reminded her that I was a photographer at one time.

:D

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3819 on: June 27, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
That's really cool. I want your eyes, Dawg.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3820 on: June 27, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

YaY!

She had an old guy in her office complaining about his eyesight deteriorating and still blowing every test she came up with completely out of the water. I suppose I challenged her in some way. She was very nice and very patient. It was only my third eye test as an adult and she had lots of cool techie stuff.

I also asked if the letters should appear to enlarge toward one end, worried if that was a symptom of something. I had not yet realised that her eye chart was a projected image and there was a slight parallax. She was surprised that I could detect that and told me that the standard for parallax errors was 1.5 degrees and hers were calibrated to 0.6 degrees, "... besides, how do you know what parallax is?"  

Aha, that sounds a lot more fun. My eyetests consist of me reading things out, so they can say I have above 20:20 eyesight. Now I have to pay for them I have decided to stop going. There just is no need for me.

I spot those parallax errors too, though I never bother to mention them. Somehow I tend to be more than content to have a boring conversation about school and life with whomever is doing the eye exam...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3821 on: June 27, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Nah, you don't. I have an astigmatism.

It was a very  "LARGE"  experience for me, though, and she managed the whole, previously dreaded ordeal without overstimming me (edited to add), much. She's good.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:43:06 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3822 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »

YaY!

Aha, that sounds a lot more fun. My eyetests consist of me reading things out, so they can say I have above 20:20 eyesight. Now I have to pay for them I have decided to stop going. There just is no need for me.

I spot those parallax errors too, though I never bother to mention them. Somehow I tend to be more than content to have a boring conversation about school and life with whomever is doing the eye exam...

Understandable, but I had already noticed a change in my eyesight. I was fully vested in trying to discover what could be changing.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3823 on: June 27, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »

So do I. Plus, really bad eyesight in general. I've been using reading glasses for the past five or six years at least, and afaik, I'm younger than you are.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3824 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »

So do I. Plus, really bad eyesight in general. I've been using reading glasses for the past five or six years at least, and afaik, I'm younger than you are.

I only have had trouble seeing up close for about two years. This job, where I have to do work with three fourths of the lights off so that the corporate entity can "Be Green" (that's two stops of light or six dB of power less than when the store is open) has made me realise how much my eyes have changed. I have to read small printed instructions, assemble (and half the time, re-engineer) all kinds of shit, in low light quite often, in addition to using a little handheld PDA that has a screen smaller than my palm.

I bought the Top O' the Line, glare-free, scratch resistant coating, No-Line, rare earth infused, progressive diopter bi-focal lenses, mounted in the strongest titanium based wire frames and an additional "single focus, astigmatism correction only" pair of progressively brown tinted shades in the same frames.
It cost a small fortune, but it's my fucking eyes. I need them!

I'll be fifty three in the fall.