Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134750 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #1155 on: September 21, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »

Not today, but yesterday, I said FUCK homework! I prefaced this idea with the notion that we will have to make up the work over the weekend (It's supposed to rain)

So, I took the kids to the park for a picnic and a stroll along the river. I decided that we could go into some of the places that aren't really public access, "If we are good explorers."  We began making our own Wildcat Trails.

They loved it.

I had my kids start to name the places we were discovering and leave little sticks to mark them. There is a hill with tree roots exposed all the way down it and he named it Steproot Hill, and Steproot Point has the best view. We found a manmade perfect circle of big rocks, about twenty feet in diameter, and I suggested it was made that way for a group of people to sit around a fire, ages ago. It was in a small valley and he named it Circlefire Valley. We also found a tunnel, Wetworm Passage, that I did not know was there. My daughter slipped and scraped her knee trying to climb up to Circlefire Ridge. My son got a minor injury, too. Everyone got dirty as fuck! We threw our blanket in the middle of Firecircle Meet and had our dinner surrounded by the stones where the ancient fires once burned, under Grandfather Oak.

I don't have any regrets about how we spent our evening, even though they did not do their homework and  they went to bed late and exhausted.

How cool a day is that!  I hope you made some nice memories.  Sounds like it to me.

Homework?  More like Lifework...how to imagine and take a step outside of the ordinary.  Sounds like you all had a very special day.  Always a bonus...and much better than homework!

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #1156 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
Laundry, low intensity exercise to increase assimilation of nutrient dense herbs and GINSENG!, reviewing yesterday's notes on isolation.  Its very intresting, those experiences people have in iso chambers.  Some 80 percent of people hallucinate, and the content is biased on their personalities.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1157 on: September 21, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
helped a friend buy a computer, router, and some related stuff. made it all work.  :green:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1158 on: September 21, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »
Slept and got sick >:(
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1159 on: September 21, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »
nothing too serious, i hope?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1160 on: September 21, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »
Stomach virus  fine if I stay still or sleep but I can't eat my son had it earlier in the week and being the giving sort gave it to me ::)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

duncvis

« Reply #1161 on: September 21, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
don't they always? kids = germ incubators.  :-\

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1162 on: September 21, 2007, 03:45:36 PM »

Not today, but yesterday, I said FUCK homework! I prefaced this idea with the notion that we will have to make up the work over the weekend (It's supposed to rain)

So, I took the kids to the park for a picnic and a stroll along the river. I decided that we could go into some of the places that aren't really public access, "If we are good explorers."  We began making our own Wildcat Trails.

They loved it.

I had my kids start to name the places we were discovering and leave little sticks to mark them. There is a hill with tree roots exposed all the way down it and he named it Steproot Hill, and Steproot Point has the best view. We found a manmade perfect circle of big rocks, about twenty feet in diameter, and I suggested it was made that way for a group of people to sit around a fire, ages ago. It was in a small valley and he named it Circlefire Valley. We also found a tunnel, Wetworm Passage, that I did not know was there. My daughter slipped and scraped her knee trying to climb up to Circlefire Ridge. My son got a minor injury, too. Everyone got dirty as fuck! We threw our blanket in the middle of Firecircle Meet and had our dinner surrounded by the stones where the ancient fires once burned, under Grandfather Oak.

I don't have any regrets about how we spent our evening, even though they did not do their homework and  they went to bed late and exhausted.

How cool a day is that!  I hope you made some nice memories.  Sounds like it to me.

Homework?  More like Lifework...how to imagine and take a step outside of the ordinary.  Sounds like you all had a very special day.  Always a bonus...and much better than homework!

See, that's what I was trying to do.
I have felt that we are all over-burdened by the workload lately and WE NEEDED a break from the daily grind. It was my impulse to just ditch it all and try a little freeform stimulation. Once we got started, it all just worked. I can guaranteee that my first grader learned more with me yesterday than she would have from a three letter word story or my third grader would have learned from a whole page of wiggly, long column arithmetic problems, all of which, they already have mastered.

In addition, I made some valuable, personal memories ... watching their young minds actually work as they experienced another small fold of nature's wonders. I'm sure it will cost me, but I don't care.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:47:18 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #1163 on: September 22, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
Got a 'new' car... woo.

Its a 1996/7 Rover 420 Turbo Diesel. Looks like this, but in a rather cool metallic turquoise.  8)

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1164 on: September 22, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »
Joined a Advocacy Group.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1165 on: September 22, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
Got a 'new' car... woo.

Its a 1996/7 Rover 420 Turbo Diesel. Looks like this, but in a rather cool metallic turquoise.  8)

Turbo diesel is very cool. So is the turquoise color!

Is this a replacement or are you one of the evil two car families, now?  ;)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #1166 on: September 22, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
Wouldn't do us much good being a two car family as only Dunc drives  :laugh:  We had to replace our last one because it was  going to cost more to repair than it was worth. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1167 on: September 23, 2007, 03:28:49 AM »

I was kidding.

... but haven't you been talking about licensing up out of need? It doesn't seem like you to make empty threats.
 :laugh:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #1168 on: September 23, 2007, 03:41:51 AM »

I was kidding.

... but haven't you been talking about licensing up out of need? It doesn't seem like you to make empty threats.
 :laugh:

Yeah, I know I really need to learn I just can't quite bring myself to get started with it.  Of course it doesn't help that the whole process is so expensive.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1169 on: September 23, 2007, 03:45:29 AM »
Today I have felt sad and anxious.