Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 133918 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #990 on: September 07, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »
are there any fooms we haven't been thrown out of yet?   ;D

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #991 on: September 07, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »
there could be one or two in Dunc's den... :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #992 on: September 07, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
it's only a matter of time, though.   :'(

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #993 on: September 08, 2007, 09:42:57 AM »
Had to go into town to buy a last minute birthday present for a party my daughter forget to tell me she'd decided she did want to go to after all till last night.   I hate going into town on a Saturday and to make matters worse I forget the parcel I'd got ready to post off to peaguy in my rush for the bus.  :-\

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #994 on: September 08, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »
Woke up, Spent 30minutes trying to un-coccoon myself from the hammock, dragged a comb across my head, found my way off the golf course, and had a smoke, somebody choked and I dumped into a beam aghhh agh agh aghhhh agh agh aghhh

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #995 on: September 08, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

Nothing can ever be normal for me!
About midnight, the phone rang and I was PISSED!
Turns out it was a buddy who I do some graphics work for occasionally. He has a printing business and has done a lot of work for a real estate company recently, mostly BS, but it pays well. He called last night to invite me along on a hot air balloon trip during the early morning hours.

I have talked about this fetish of mine several times here and he also knows of my fascination with the hobby. When he was invited by one of his customers to come along, he first thought of me.  I said, "Hell yeah!"

I did not sleep much. I usually wake up between four and five AM, no matter what time I go to bed, but this morning I awoke at three, tried for an hour to get back to sleep, finally gave up and started my coffee. I headed over to the lift area and they had had an accident. It seems the throttle valve had jammed open when he fired it up and we were not ready to lift off, even though the basket was leaving the ground with no one in it.

The owner of the balloon had tried several times to get in, but the flames were too much and this baby was taking off on its own. It is fired up lying on its side and the flames are very small until it starts to inflate. Once the balloon begins to stand up, they usually blast the valve wide open for about five minutes, until it starts to float, then they shut it down to idle. This time, it would not shut down and when he tried to manually operate the lever it started leaking from underneath the valve, spreading fire all around. Think: Challenger footage ...

Fortunately, my buddy and I arrived at the same time and we were able to help hold it down enough for the pilot to get his stakes back into the ground. He always fires it up, all staked down, but in his rush to control the runaway fire he knocked off two mooring lines, leaving only one. Naturally, I'm having second thoughts about going up with this guy.

He got it under control, after just a few minutes, with our help, and we were saying, "NEVERMIND!"  However, he said he needed to rest a few minutes and everything is fine, because it will only take a few minutes to replace the engine. "The Engine" is nothing but a huge bottle of propane with a control valve on it and with a little more help, he could have it switched out in a matter of minutes.

We stayed. I am so glad I was able to swallow my gulps, because the ride was really one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever had. I have been to many evening "balloon-glows" where ballooners have just have landed and want to show off to the public, but this was only my second trip up, even though ballooning has been a lifelong desire of mine.

It rained yesterday and mostly cleared up after sunset, so that's the reason for the late night decision to go up this morning. The clouds were still moving in waves as we went up and, even though we were late lifting off, the sun was just shy of the horizon. The early sky was vermilion and pink-orange with dark purple clouds moving above, hiding Venus every few seconds. What an amazing view it was from way up there. He estimated that we topped out at about twenty two hundred feet.
We were up for just over two hours, which is a long ride, according to the "exeprt" with the out of control balloon engine.

It was really, REALLY cool!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #996 on: September 08, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »
That sounds like such an amazing experience- did you take any pictures?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #997 on: September 08, 2007, 03:41:32 PM »

My buddy did. He promised to send me some. His will suck. I did use his camera for a few shots.
I don't know why I didn't think to take one of my film cameras.

I have honestly had some of the special warm fuzzies taken out of the joys of photography and frozen into cold pricklies by the way I was treated at my last job. I know some people would not understand why a "supposedly accomplished" photographer would not post constant pictures about his daily life, but I have some type of OCD resistance or phobia about my photography these days. I know I can still do it - I just don't. I just can't.

:violin:

I don't even take photographs of my kids. I did spend over an hour taking the kid's photographs while my mom was visiting, using her shitty camera. I haven't seen them, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #998 on: September 08, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
i'm drunk.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #999 on: September 08, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »

My buddy did. He promised to send me some. His will suck. I did use his camera for a few shots.

I have honestly had some of the special warm fuzzies taken out of the joys of photography and frozen into cold pricklies by the way I was treated at my last job. I know some people would not understand why a "supposedly accomplished" photographer would not post constant pictures about his daily life, but I have some type of OCD resistance or phobia about my photography these days. I know I can still do it - I just don't. I just can't.

I don't even take photographs of my kids. I did spend over an hour taking the kid's photographs while my mom was visiting, using her shitty camera. I haven't seen them, though.

That's such a shame that you've had a lot of the joy you got from your photography taken away from you.  I hope you get it back soon. :hug:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1000 on: September 08, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »

That's such a shame that you've had a lot of the joy you got from your photography taken away from you.  I hope you get it back soon. :hug:

I know I talk about personal shit all the time, but this one is still very raw and tender. It isn't going away as quickly as do most of the crappy things that happen to me. I don't know what is different about this.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #1001 on: September 08, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
I'm sorry if my asking if you'd taken pics has brought it all up again for you.   From the posts you've made about your photography I get the feeling it was a great passion of yours, and losing something like that (even knowing that you will probably get it back eventually) is bound to feel raw for a long time.   Sorry again  :'(

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »
Went to estate and tags sales and measured an addition on a house by the beach
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »
I'm sorry if my asking if you'd taken pics has brought it all up again for you.   From the posts you've made about your photography I get the feeling it was a great passion of yours, and losing something like that (even knowing that you will probably get it back eventually) is bound to feel raw for a long time.   Sorry again  :'(

I didn't mean to make it sound like you were pushing my buttons.
Thanks, but no apology is necessary. There is a lot of something there, kind of like pain or anguish, but you did not cause it, add to it or make it worse in any way.
I just feel at times that some people must think of me as a sort of gran poseur, since I talk a big show, but I never post the photographs. I hope that you and a few others might understand some of that. It's actually more complicated than I can understand myself and it's inside me.
Sometimes it just feels like a mope, but other times it is an impasse of sorts. If it was something definite that I could identify, I could probably conquer it sooner.

I do shoot video of the kids, sometimes, so I'm not a total skank parent.
:D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 05:22:28 PM by MarkingDawg »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2007, 05:41:41 PM »
You don't come across as a 'gran poseur' to me, you come across as a genuine, honest person and that isn't just me brown nosing you.  :laugh: