Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134232 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #375 on: May 02, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
Stood in line, waited in a chair, sniffed the body odor of about forty five people, listened to over a dozen babies crying, watched a new mom overburp a baby and wear the results, smelled that, caught a cancerous old woman who had fallen asleep and was toppling out of her chair (I didn't want to hear her cry, too), stood in a shorter line, paid the pretty lady (enjoyed that part) and was rewarded a renewed car registration. I'm a little OD'ed on Life.

... and extremely disgusted with the working pace of people employed by the state.

(I can't believe the fucking typos I made)

That is almost exactly what I did yesterday, but I had to get my car inspected first.

It took me over an hour and I had a six year old autie, having a rough day, in-tow. She was making several people laugh by intelligently questioning the complexity of the process. She severely ripped apart the whole stand-in-line-for-your-chance-to-tell-them-you-will-sit-in-a-chair-and-wait routine, in a very cute, but impatient way. Entertaining her questions was really the only thing that saved me.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #376 on: May 02, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
Stood in line, waited in a chair, sniffed the body odor of about forty five people, listened to over a dozen babies crying, watched a new mom overburp a baby and wear the results, smelled that, caught a cancerous old woman who had fallen asleep and was toppling out of her chair (I didn't want to hear her cry, too), stood in a shorter line, paid the pretty lady (enjoyed that part) and was rewarded a renewed car registration. I'm a little OD'ed on Life.

... and extremely disgusted with the working pace of people employed by the state.

That is almost exactly what I did yesterday, but I had to get my car inspected first.

It took me over an hour and I had a six year old autie, having a rough day, in-tow. She was making several people laugh by intelligently questioning the complexity of the process. She severely ripped apart the whole stand-in-line-for-your-chance-to-tell-them-you-will-sit-in-a-chair-and-wait routine, in a very cute, but impatient way. Entertaining her questions was really the only thing that saved me.

I did it while my daughter was in school, thank goodness.  We take a number at the car registration place, then we can sit in a chair or whatever, but we have to listen closely for our number or they will skip over us.

Litigious

« Reply #377 on: May 02, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »

I did it while my daughter was in school, thank goodness.  We take a number at the car registration place, then we can sit in a chair or whatever, but we have to listen closely for our number or they will skip over us.

What is that renewed car registration thing?  ???

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #378 on: May 02, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »
Got my teeth cleaned, ate barbeque chicken, picked up two new york strip steaks and huggled my kitty.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #379 on: May 02, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
I'm a little OD'ed on Life.

Life itself?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #380 on: May 02, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »

We pay tax every year for our cars. The license tag, that indentifies every legal car, expires every year and must be "registered" again. It cost me one hundred fifty seven dollars for my two cars. It decreases every year as the car ages. New cars are very expensive to register in Indiana.

Renewing the registration is relatively simple compared to buying a car and get it registered to you for the first time. It's all very legal.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:43:32 PM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #381 on: May 02, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

Life itself?

Glad someone got the reference.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #382 on: May 02, 2007, 06:10:37 PM »

Your daughter is lucky.
I was actually enjoying her company, once my daughter (and I) had identified all the hideously invasive sensations of being in a concrete block building with a metal roof and sixty or seventy people rattling stuff and talking over each other, and began to relax. I was OK-ish, but I was making loud teeth-grinding noises and clenching my fists and she had reverted to one of her characters, by the time we left.
Their website states the average processing time per patron is twenty four minutes, but ours was three times that.
 :grrr:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #383 on: May 02, 2007, 07:57:22 PM »

Life itself?

Glad someone got the reference.

You can pretty much count on me
getting one, as long as it's not from
Imaginos.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2007, 11:49:22 PM »

Your daughter is lucky.
I was actually enjoying her company, once my daughter (and I) had identified all the hideously invasive sensations of being in a concrete block building with a metal roof and sixty or seventy people rattling stuff and talking over each other, and began to relax. I was OK-ish, but I was making loud teeth-grinding noises and clenching my fists and she had reverted to one of her characters, by the time we left.
Their website states the average processing time per patron is twenty four minutes, but ours was three times that.

The line was probably longer than usual because it was the first day of the month.  The first and last days of the months tend to be more crowded.  It only cost me $27 to renew my registration for my car and $25 to have it inspected.  My car is a 1995 Honda, though.

Litigious

« Reply #385 on: May 03, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »

We pay tax every year for our cars. The license tag, that indentifies every legal car, expires every year and must be "registered" again. It cost me one hundred fifty seven dollars for my two cars. It decreases every year as the car ages. New cars are very expensive to register in Indiana.

Renewing the registration is relatively simple compared to buying a car and get it registered to you for the first time. It's all very legal.

We have car tax as well (of course), but we don't have to go to some office to get a renewed tag; we get it by mail, after car inspection. The tag itself costs nothing. And buying a new car is also a very simple process in Sweden. And it even seems that our car inspection is simpler than yours; nowadays they send out a time for inspection automatically, and if you aren't satisfied with it, you can simply change it on phone or even easier on the internet.

Hm, I've discovered one thing that actually is simpler in Sweden than in the US.  ???

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2007, 12:37:22 AM »
In NJ, the registration fee was something
like $300. I remember thinking that I saw
cars for sale for less than it cost to register
them.

Litigious

« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2007, 12:43:02 AM »
We pay tax, insurance and car inspection. Car inspection costs about $40, and it's one time a year. For my Volvo 850 from 1995 I pay about $550 a year in insurance. The tax is about $300.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2007, 01:56:40 AM »

Your daughter is lucky.

The line was probably longer than usual because it was the first day of the month.  The first and last days of the months tend to be more crowded.  It only cost me $27 to renew my registration for my car and $25 to have it inspected.  My car is a 1995 Honda, though.

I had not thought of that, but you are right. I had no choice, though. April is the month with the most expenses, for us. Coincidentally, the mortgage company had re-assessed the escrow part of our house payment, this month, plus I had to buy a mower. It is a sad state of affairs that a man of my age, means and abilities is affected by a couple hundred dollars of unexpected expenses, but in our situation there are times when a couple of hundred dollars makes a big difference in our budget.
I had missed the mail-in deadline and had to suffer the lines at the branch office.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2007, 02:07:03 AM »

We have car tax as well (of course), but we don't have to go to some office to get a renewed tag; we get it by mail, after car inspection. The tag itself costs nothing. And buying a new car is also a very simple process in Sweden. And it even seems that our car inspection is simpler than yours; nowadays they send out a time for inspection automatically, and if you aren't satisfied with it, you can simply change it on phone or even easier on the internet.

Hm, I've discovered one thing that actually is simpler in Sweden than in the US.  ???

You mean other than sex with fifteen year olds?
Normally I mail the registration advisor in also, but this time was odd.
Indiana does not have a required vehicle inspection prior to registration. However, if you are stopped for a traffic vioaltion, the officer will do a purfunctory inspection of your vehicle and likely add other violations to the charges he stopped you for.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:31:00 AM by Calamity Jane »