Author Topic: School shooting in Newtown, CT  (Read 3777 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: School shooting in Newtown, CT
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
Prof, they've already said he had aspergers

I just realized that now. Well that didn't take long. :-\
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
All I'm seeing around the interwebs atm is the same old tired gun control debates. Aspies are safe for now.

Meanwhile in China... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20723910

I think that alone will shut up the pro gun control people pretty quickly. When there's a will, there's a way for these kind of people. You can't stop someone really determined to fuck shit up by pre-emptive bans on weapons. Because if not guns, knives, if not knives, crossbows, if not crossbows, explosives, if not explosives, kitchen utensils and so on.

Except none of the Chinese kids died.  Knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks are all less effective at killing and/or more difficult to obtain and/or use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.  It's one thing if you're Anders Breivik and you have the intelligence, resourcefulness and determination to set up an agricultural company to obtain fertiliser for explosives, build a bomb from it and jump through some legal hoops to get guns, but if you're just the average maniac, it's going to make a difference to the final body count if you can't easily lay your hands on a gun when the homicidal urges strike.

explosives less effective at killing than guns? tell me you dont truly believe that. let me give you a brief history of explosives.

fireworks
shrapnel
projectile weapons
high explosive [lethal shockwaves]

explosives are more lethal than guns simply because the bullets coming from those guns are propelled by explosives

not to mention when all you have to do is leave a back pack on a timer in a classroom with some home made nitro glyceren [its not hard to make. you can get the recipie and instructions from google]

provided you do not blow yourself up making the stuff, be it nitro, anfo, semtex, your more likely to kill a greater ammount of people.

seriously. drop a bag with one of those in any classroom. timed to go off at last class. go about your day normally. dropping them off. whole school. gone. instantly.

Knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks are all less effective at killing and/or more difficult to obtain and/or use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.

Explosives are more difficult to obtain and more difficult to use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.  Pointy sticks are less effective at killing than semi-automatic firearms.  I didn't say that explosives are less effective at killing than semi-automatic firearms. 

My point was that there are reasons why knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks aren't perfect replacements for guns; they all have at least one of the three deficiencies I laid out above, and if people have to resort to those things because guns are difficult to acquire, the body count will generally be lower, if there's a body count at all.  When people have to start making their own nitroglycerin, it's at least going to weed out those killers on the lower end of the intelligence scale.  Like I said, if you're Breivik, not a lot is going to stop you, but if you're Dumb McArse, making things difficult for you is probably going to limit the damage to some degree, and might avert a situation completely.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 12:55:10 PM »
We actually had a crossbow murder here. Not something you hear about every day.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/man-handed-life-sentence-in-toronto-crossbow-killing-of-abusive-father/article4517661/

I've turned off the media in my house. My kids don't need the barrage of news reporting on it. As a parent, I can't ignore the emotions it brings about though. I feel awful for the 20 families who had to go identify the bodies of their children. No parent should have to endure that. Losing my kids is my worst nightmare.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
Wow, here's an AS reference you guys aren't gonna like lol

Apparently Lanza had a personality disorder, possible Aspergers Disease :zoinks:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/americas-worst-school-shooting-nation-rocked-by-massacre-as-gunman-kills-20-children-8417931.html

btw this is from the INDEPENDENT. One of the most reliable papers in the UK. You'd expect this kinda shit from the Mail or the Sun or something. Not them

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »
Surprised anyone has mentioned the incident in China. If anything, I would say that seriously backs up those in FAVOUR of gun control. Not the opposite

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »
Wow, here's an AS reference you guys aren't gonna like lol

Apparently Lanza had a personality disorder, possible Aspergers Disease :zoinks:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/americas-worst-school-shooting-nation-rocked-by-massacre-as-gunman-kills-20-children-8417931.html

btw this is from the INDEPENDENT. One of the most reliable papers in the UK. You'd expect this kinda shit from the Mail or the Sun or something. Not them

Already facepalmed over this on Facebook.  Shame on the  Independent.  :facepalm2:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
I might email them about it later if I can be arsed. I'm so lazy on the internet. I can spend a whole evening online and not actually get anything done. I have stuff to email people etc, but I will end up just wasting time on twitter most likely !

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »
There's already been another shooting (more of an attempted massacre than an actual one, by the looks of it):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/15/alabama-hospital-shooting-wounded-gunman-killed_n_2307505.html
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
All I'm seeing around the interwebs atm is the same old tired gun control debates. Aspies are safe for now.

I think that alone will shut up the pro gun control people pretty quickly. When there's a will, there's a way for these kind of people. You can't stop someone really determined to fuck shit up by pre-emptive bans on weapons. Because if not guns, knives, if not knives, crossbows, if not crossbows, explosives, if not explosives, kitchen utensils and so on.

Except none of the Chinese kids died.  Knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks are all less effective at killing and/or more difficult to obtain and/or use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.  It's one thing if you're Anders Breivik and you have the intelligence, resourcefulness and determination to set up an agricultural company to obtain fertiliser for explosives, build a bomb from it and jump through some legal hoops to get guns, but if you're just the average maniac, it's going to make a difference to the final body count if you can't easily lay your hands on a gun when the homicidal urges strike.

explosives less effective at killing than guns? tell me you dont truly believe that. let me give you a brief history of explosives.

fireworks
shrapnel
projectile weapons

explosives are more lethal than guns simply because the bullets coming from those guns are propelled by explosives

not to mention when all you have to do is leave a back pack on a timer in a classroom with some home made nitro glyceren [its not hard to make. you can get the recipie and instructions from google]

provided you do not blow yourself up making the stuff, be it nitro, anfo, semtex, your more likely to kill a greater ammount of people.

seriously. drop a bag with one of those in any classroom. timed to go off at last class. go about your day normally. dropping them off. whole school. gone. instantly.

Knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks are all less effective at killing and/or more difficult to obtain and/or use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.

Explosives are more difficult to obtain and more difficult to use effectively than semi-automatic firearms in the US.  Pointy sticks are less effective at killing than semi-automatic firearms.  I didn't say that explosives are less effective at killing than semi-automatic firearms. 

My point was that there are reasons why knives, crossbows, explosives, kitchen utensils, socks with bricks in them and pointy sticks aren't perfect replacements for guns; they all have at least one of the three deficiencies I laid out above, and if people have to resort to those things because guns are difficult to acquire, the body count will generally be lower, if there's a body count at all.  When people have to start making their own nitroglycerin, it's at least going to weed out those killers on the lower end of the intelligence scale.  Like I said, if you're Breivik, not a lot is going to stop you, but if you're Dumb McArse, making things difficult for you is probably going to limit the damage to some degree, and might avert a situation completely.

i belive that first exception in your quote is "Are less effective at killing" unless you are not talking about all those devcice as a whole.

my point is that explosives are not hard to obtain. i can buy Ammonium nitrate. gasoline, and some foam pellets to absorb gassoline and make ANFO a high powered explosive thats not hard to get and is not even illigal in some areas.

in case you did not know you can get ammonium nitrate simply by picking out the white pellits in some firtalizers/potting soils.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »

fireworks
shrapnel
projectile weapons

i belive that first exception in your quote is "Are less effective at killing" unless you are not talking about all those devcice as a whole.

my point is that explosives are not hard to obtain. i can buy Ammonium nitrate. gasoline, and some foam pellets to absorb gassoline and make ANFO a high powered explosive thats not hard to get and is not even illigal in some areas.

in case you did not know you can get ammonium nitrate simply by picking out the white pellits in some firtalizers/potting soils.

If you're going to make a bomb by picking ammonium nitrate pellets out of potting soil, you're not the type who'll be easily foiled.  If someone makes explosives out of their own urine and builds frag grenades with it, or rents a tanker truck and fills it with an oxyliquit explosive mixture, or makes a poison gas weapon with pool chlorine granules and a strong acid, that's just life and there's not much that can be done to prevent it.  Fortunately, 90%+ of people aren't in this category, and if they can't get a gun, explosives will be too difficult/require too much preparation/whatever (and there will be those who try but blow themselves up or get caught because the 25 litres of nitric acid they bought raised a red flag somewhere) and they'll settle for something less lethal like a knife, or just give up and see a psychiatrist about their issues.

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

fireworks
shrapnel
projectile weapons

If you're going to make a bomb by picking ammonium nitrate pellets out of potting soil, you're not the type who'll be easily foiled.  If someone makes explosives out of their own urine and builds frag grenades with it, or rents a tanker truck and fills it with an oxyliquit explosive mixture, or makes a poison gas weapon with pool chlorine granules and a strong acid, that's just life and there's not much that can be done to prevent it.  Fortunately, 90%+ of people aren't in this category, and if they can't get a gun, explosives will be too difficult/require too much preparation/whatever (and there will be those who try but blow themselves up or get caught because the 25 litres of nitric acid they bought raised a red flag somewhere) and they'll settle for something less lethal like a knife, or just give up and see a psychiatrist about their issues.

fair enough. point taken.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
The availability of guns does make it easy but it takes little conviction to find another way like Julio González who after getting kicked out of a social club in NYC threw  lit container of gas down the stairs into it killing 87 people in 1990. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
We actually had a crossbow murder here. Not something you hear about every day.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/man-handed-life-sentence-in-toronto-crossbow-killing-of-abusive-father/article4517661/

I've turned off the media in my house. My kids don't need the barrage of news reporting on it. As a parent, I can't ignore the emotions it brings about though. I feel awful for the 20 families who had to go identify the bodies of their children. No parent should have to endure that. Losing my kids is my worst nightmare.

There was compassion in identifying the children.  The Medical Examiner said he identified the students using school photos rather than have the parents identify them.  But still the entire situation has to be surreal and unbelievably tragic for the families. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: