Author Topic: Man chased by Mountain Lion  (Read 535 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Man chased by Mountain Lion
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
The "unedited" version.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGNM6qUnWqG/

When all you wanted was just a quick morning run while enjoying nature. :zoinks:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Man chased by Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 12:45:36 PM »
Go eat your babies  :zoinks:

I couldn't tell whether it was the man or the kitty roaring in the first few seconds.  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:40 PM »
Kept thinking them smart for not turning around or running, though also not smart for being in the woods without spray or something. That was scary. :laugh:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:44:19 PM »
There were plenty of rocks to throw at the cat. Just don't know if the action of bending down to pick one up would have gotten the cat to attack.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
I'm guessing the adrenalin stopped him from thinking straight too. That was fricking scary when it was coming at him with paws up.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 12:03:24 AM »
Scary.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
Just an update on that video.  Mountain Lions are stealth ambush predators.  Turns out the hiker was near her den with kits in them.  He did the right thing by backing away facing her and not running or turning his back.  She was trying get him away from her kits.  If she really wanted to kill him, he would be dead. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »

Almost reminds me of this.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
I would have needed a change of pants after that.

But, as Ozy pointed out, it really looks like a threat display more than anything else, and the hiker probably did exactly the right thing.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »

But, as Ozy pointed out, it really looks like a threat display more than anything else, and the hiker probably did exactly the right thing.

It's called a "bluff charge", which means stay away, get back.  Bears will do that too.  As long as you face them and stand tall and back slowly away.  You will not trigger their chase prey instinct.  This is common advice when hiking in wild areas.  Mountain Lions preferred way of attack is by ambush from above and landing on their preys back.  Where they administer a bone crushing bite to the skull or neck to quickly kill their prey. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:18 PM »

It's called a "bluff charge", which means stay away, get back.  Bears will do that too.  As long as you face them and stand tall and back slowly away.  You will not trigger their chase prey instinct.  This is common advice when hiking in wild areas.  Mountain Lions preferred way of attack is by ambush from above and landing on their preys back.  Where they administer a bone crushing bite to the skull or neck to quickly kill their prey.

Very similar to the drop bear then.

(drop bears are an urban myth, but are likely based on stories passed down by Australia's indigenous people about the marsupial lion, which was certainly an ambush predator).
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass