Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 21185 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #375 on: November 15, 2012, 05:53:34 AM »
I think there is little that could be done, anyway.  Apart from creating actual parts of the site for younger members.  Maybe for under forty's or under thirties or whatever.  But why would Odeon want to do this?

It sounds to me like they want somewhere to post where they don't have to read or see posts from those they feel are old and farty.  Well, i would suggest that they just ignore the members they feel are old and farty anyway.  AFAIK there is no law that says a reply is required.

In fact i would suggest to anyone to use the site and fill it with stuff that you like.  I don't know what is preventing anyone from using the site this way.   

The atmosphere is dictated by the current posters.  The best way to change the atmosphere is by posting.  What or who is preventing this? :dunno:
:agreed: :indeed: :viking: :plus:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #376 on: November 15, 2012, 06:08:26 AM »
I think there is little that could be done, anyway.  Apart from creating actual parts of the site for younger members.  Maybe for under forty's or under thirties or whatever.  But why would Odeon want to do this?

It sounds to me like they want somewhere to post where they don't have to read or see posts from those they feel are old and farty.  Well, i would suggest that they just ignore the members they feel are old and farty anyway.  AFAIK there is no law that says a reply is required.

In fact i would suggest to anyone to use the site and fill it with stuff that you like.  I don't know what is preventing anyone from using the site this way.   

The atmosphere is dictated by the current posters.  The best way to change the atmosphere is by posting.  What or who is preventing this? :dunno:

Yes.
Hell yes.
If you want mor nudes...post more nudes. If you think there ought to be more lolcats and threads of online roleplaying gam,es...do that. Like threads about sex? Nothing stopping you.

OR

You could say "Gee this site sucks. I really don't like it because it is not vibrant enough for my tastes. i don't know what to suggest and i don't care about the site, but it has to change. Young people are the answer to the vibrance problem and by young people, i do not mean young people but "young people" if you know what i mean. nudge nudge. By Nudge nudge i mean people who i like - regardless of their age. So more people should be on here that I like and who post stuff I like. Of course sometimes those same sort of people posting stuff I like negatively affects the forum and causes people to leave and man of them are the younger and/or newer members not the older entrenched members - but let's not go there. I do not want to really help here because I dislike the site BUT if you people can lift your game, I may stay. If you don't I will leave and you really don't want that because others will leave. You know you want me"

Well Bodie when I say "YOU could say", I don't mean "you". You are not that silly or full of yourself. It would be a silly position and the posting what makes you happy and the site happyy and entertaining is the better position.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #377 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:09 AM »

QFT

And no, why would I want to? If somebody wants a site for people in the 20s or 30s or whatever, start one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #378 on: November 15, 2012, 06:22:50 AM »
I think it is best not to try.  There will be drama on here again, i feel sure.

Probably just a quiet spell.  I can always make some more posts about mirror sex and submissive sex?  Or about my insatiable desire for a damn good rodgering?    >:D
When and where did you talk about mirror sex?  That sounds like it could be one of a couple of things.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #379 on: November 15, 2012, 06:26:39 AM »
I think the clear solution is for all members who have anything like "lives" to drop out of school, quit our jobs, leave our partners, abandon our friends, drop our kids off in orphanages, and do nothing but stir up drama with each other here to compensate for the voids we've created in our own existences.  Everyone who does not have any of these things should have a go at these things, and then complain about the results, whatever the results may be.

Also, we need more pictures of cats and of breasts.  And outrageous kinkiness, and more scandals.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:11 AM »
You know this is meant to happen, though.  AFAIK and for as long back as i remember there is meant to be a young/old divide.

You can say young at heart, youth, or whatever but it is not unusual for for those at one end of the scale to feel disgruntled/ misunderstood by the other end.

Sometimes meeting in the middle or finding some common ground just isn't possible.  Maybe it is not meant to.

blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »

Probably just a quiet spell.  I can always make some more posts about mirror sex and submissive sex?  Or about my insatiable desire for a damn good rodgering?    >:D
When and where did you talk about mirror sex?  That sounds like it could be one of a couple of things.

Reflective Katoptronaphiliac  -  it's in the name.

Can't recall where and when i have spoken about this.  I have, though.  Several times.  Tend to STFU when no one responds.  If i had any inclination that this was a shared fantasy by anyone here i would be happy to open dialogue again.
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:32 AM »

Reflective Katoptronaphiliac  -  it's in the name.

Can't recall where and when i have spoken about this.  I have, though.  Several times.  Tend to STFU when no one responds.  If i had any inclination that this was a shared fantasy by anyone here i would be happy to open dialogue again.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that'd work for me
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #383 on: November 15, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
I miss Bint and Squiddy. I also find some of the talk about missing the drama and dynamics of 2010 funny because I could just as easily pine for 2006/2007. Things weren't stable then. We had admins switching out every month, the unknown question of who would run the site, and while the endless debates about self-government got tedious, they were at least fun for a while.

Now there aren't enough unhappy people to sustain a new "village", but nor are they satisfied with the existing one. I suspect that's human nature.

Autism is seen differently too. There isn't the same rush of people who had a lifetime of disenfranchisement and then for the first time found other people like them and explanation of their lives.

I've never seen a backlash against cliques (ooh dirty word) like you can get here. That tendency of people to group up with those they like and "other" anyone who doesn't fit the criteria. I know this is another one that's been debated ad nauseum.

I think one of the erroneous assumptions is that a smaller clique must leave and find their own place which they can run as they see fit, in order to be happy. It actually sucks running a site. A lot of thankless work and a lot of people pissed off at you without being willing to lend a hand to making things better. Why can't more than one clique exist in the same space? Then there will be an ongoing more thriving dynamic as the different polarized groups interact in the same space. Instead of striking out at Butterflies' (Shleed's? Adam's? Bodie's) desire for a group like the one that was gathered in 2010, why not accept it?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #384 on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
I miss Bint and Squiddy. I also find some of the talk about missing the drama and dynamics of 2010 funny because I could just as easily pine for 2006/2007. Things weren't stable then. We had admins switching out every month, the unknown question of who would run the site, and while the endless debates about self-government got tedious, they were at least fun for a while.

Now there aren't enough unhappy people to sustain a new "village", but nor are they satisfied with the existing one. I suspect that's human nature.

Autism is seen differently too. There isn't the same rush of people who had a lifetime of disenfranchisement and then for the first time found other people like them and explanation of their lives.

I've never seen a backlash against cliques (ooh dirty word) like you can get here. That tendency of people to group up with those they like and "other" anyone who doesn't fit the criteria. I know this is another one that's been debated ad nauseum.

I think one of the erroneous assumptions is that a smaller clique must leave and find their own place which they can run as they see fit, in order to be happy. It actually sucks running a site. A lot of thankless work and a lot of people pissed off at you without being willing to lend a hand to making things better. Why can't more than one clique exist in the same space? Then there will be an ongoing more thriving dynamic as the different polarized groups interact in the same space. Instead of striking out at Butterflies' (Shleed's? Adam's? Bodie's) desire for a group like the one that was gathered in 2010, why not accept it?

Pyraxis, whoever said they could not?
When Butterflies thinks on the time when she first started she is expressing her views of the time as being a good time on here .There were a lot of the same faces and a few more tht have since left. Was there a want from butterflies to go off and make a new group then? Was there a want from any of the other members for Butterflies to go off? Was there such a big problem in her mind of the older members here being....well....not young?
I think you know the answers, and suggesting that there is a reluctance or inability for people to accept others here is silly isn't it?
The problem is if you are well placed and well liked and so on, and then you fuck over people, those people tend to not hold you in the same esteem as you did before you fucked them over. THAT is sensible. Others would likely treat you with caution as they think that you have lost credibility and trust, and they too do not want to expose themselves to you just to let you fuck them over
So let's not pretend that this is about people not able to accept others because they are different.
Not at all what you are trying is it Py?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:26:46 AM by Al Swearengen »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #385 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »
It actually sucks running a site.

QFT
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #386 on: November 15, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »
I think the clear solution is for all members who have anything like "lives" to drop out of school, quit our jobs, leave our partners, abandon our friends, drop our kids off in orphanages, and do nothing but stir up drama with each other here to compensate for the voids we've created in our own existences.  Everyone who does not have any of these things should have a go at these things, and then complain about the results, whatever the results may be.

Also, we need more pictures of cats and of breasts.  And outrageous kinkiness, and more scandals.

I vote for you and Butterflies hooking up and then letting us know all about it with detailed descriptions and nudie pics.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #387 on: November 15, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
In a way, I think you do. It was important for you, when you joined, it was amazing for you to be here then. And, you want it to be that amazing again. You do care, for what it was.

Yes. I care for what the site was, and would genuinely love to have that again. I cared for the site a lot back then.
I dont care about the site as it is now though. I dont really care about the future of the site, unless it was to become something I liked again.

Would drama help?
Most of drama happening here is boring as hell in my opinion. Especially drama between people that is going on for a long time. No new views, same sentences, same replies. Nothing constructive. And, because of all the repetition, the funfactor is gone too.
Sometimes there is quality drama, with true discussions, and, when really good, it is constructive too. It's where members can surprise me. Very rare, quality drama.

I think thats an interesting point. When I say drama, a lot of you guys think "fighting." Obviously some drama is fighting, but not all drama is fighting. I suppose "action" may be a better description than "drama."

For example, the drama that happened a year ago was not good at all. I did not enjoy it, it was also very bad for the site.
However, and forgetting about the morality of what was done, the drama with Parakeet was among the funniest "drama" I was involved in. I think it was good drama, or at least, fun drama. I think it livened up the site for a while.

Long bitter feuds may be "drama," but they help nobody. Fun "drama" is IMO good for the site.
This site needs fun "drama" IMO.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #388 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »

I have to be honest, and say I dont really agree with most of this.

I think there is little that could be done, anyway.  Apart from creating actual parts of the site for younger members
I think that would be a bad idea. When the site worked, a large part of what was good about the site was the interaction between young and old.

It sounds to me like they want somewhere to post where they don't have to read or see posts from those they feel are old and farty.
No, that is not the case at all. I would like to see a better mix of people.
I want the atmosphere that existed in the past. To give a crappy analogy, in the past, the site had a pub atmosphere, for want of a different word. There was the oldies sipping their beer quietly and playing bridge, and a more raucous group of youngsters getting pissed at the door, shouting abuse at passers by.
Now that the youngsters have largely faded away, the atmosphere has changed from a pub atmosphere, to genteel coffee shop atmosphere.

TBH, lack of motivation. I had enough motivation to offer a suggestion, and try to explain my views. I didnt have the motivation to take an active role in trying to improve things.

The best way to change the atmosphere is by posting.  What or who is preventing this?
That should be fairly obvious. Odeon and Les. I voiced an opinion that was at worst, mildly controversial. Almost 25 pages on, they are still going on about it. They have each thrown at least one absurd slice of paranoia at me, and Les still appears to be going strong.
I could easily stay here and post cute pics of cats, and funny memes/jokes. Thats just not me though.
It seems that if I stay here, and be myself, I will have the Chuckle Brothers on my back at every opportunity.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #389 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »

Pyraxis, whoever said they could not?
When Butterflies thinks on the time when she first started she is expressing her views of the time as being a good time on here .There were a lot of the same faces and a few more tht have since left. Was there a want from butterflies to go off and make a new group then? Was there a want from any of the other members for Butterflies to go off? Was there such a big problem in her mind of the older members here being....well....not young?
I think you know the answers, and suggesting that there is a reluctance or inability for people to accept others here is silly isn't it?
The problem is if you are well placed and well liked and so on, and then you fuck over people, those people tend to not hold you in the same esteem as you did before you fucked them over. THAT is sensible. Others would likely treat you with caution as they think that you have lost credibility and trust, and they too do not want to expose themselves to you just to let you fuck them over
So let's not pretend that this is about people not able to accept others because they are different.
Not at all what you are trying is it Py?

And, the bullshit starts again. I didnt fuck anyone over. I know you like to present your opinions as fact, but thats just pathetic.