Educational

Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20902 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
You have me, Adam, and Schleed. 3 of the few young people left on your site, all telling you more or less the same thing. That the site now holds no interest for us

I must have missed where Schleed and Adam said that.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
You have me, Adam, and Schleed. 3 of the few young people left on your site, all telling you more or less the same thing. That the site now holds no interest for us

And yes, me and Schleed are still posting, but not much. I come here out of habit mainly. I no longer think of this place as a forum I properly contribute to. Can't speak for Schleed, but from what he;s posted in the past, I'm guessing he too finds the place kinda boring these days as well

So yeah, while I haven't left, I definitely don't consider myself a properly active member anymore. Maybe a little more this week to post about the election etc, but generally, no. If I hadn't been here for so many years and wasn't so used to checking it every day, I probably wouldn't be here at all

You'll come back. Not even shleed escapes shleed's law.

I never said I was going anywhere :laugh:

Oh. :autism:

I might make a forum or try and maintain contact with you lot outside i2, ie. Skype. The only reason I went on here again is the lack of interaction with people I actually like.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »

And yes, me and Schleed are still posting, but not much. I come here out of habit mainly. I no longer think of this place as a forum I properly contribute to. Can't speak for Schleed, but from what he;s posted in the past, I'm guessing he too finds the place kinda boring these days as well

So yeah, while I haven't left, I definitely don't consider myself a properly active member anymore. Maybe a little more this week to post about the election etc, but generally, no. If I hadn't been here for so many years and wasn't so used to checking it every day, I probably wouldn't be here at all

I might make a forum or try and maintain contact with you lot outside i2, ie. Skype. The only reason I went on here again is the lack of interaction with people I actually like.

I don't see "the site holds no interest for me" in any of those posts.  Even if you are claiming this yourself, your continued posting in this thread shows that isn't actually the case. :)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Adam, Butterflies and Shleed.

I've been starting what I thought were interesting/thoughtful/intense threads that might appeal to a younger crowd.  Evidently I'm way out of touch.  How about helping a rapidly aging Queen out here and start some threads that you think would work?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »

I don't see "the site holds no interest for me" in any of those posts.  Even if you are claiming this yourself, your continued posting in this thread shows that isn't actually the case. :)

I will always have some interest in this site. I may find it dull, and have little interest in posting, but I doubt I'll ever fully walk away.
And of course I'm still posting in this thread. People are asking me to clarify my points. It would seem rude to simply walk away and ignore any comments directed at me. I'll try and answer any questions people put to me. When people lose interest in this topic, and stop discussing it, then I will probably fade away for a while.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
I'm happy that I could provide :)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »
Adam, Butterflies and Shleed.

I've been starting what I thought were interesting/thoughtful/intense threads that might appeal to a younger crowd.  Evidently I'm way out of touch.  How about helping a rapidly aging Queen out here and start some threads that you think would work?

I think that you deserve full credit for your approach, and I have nothing but respect for you because of it. I think that if others shared your attitude, myself included, this site would be miles better.

For me though, I really cant imagine staying around here as a regular poster. Coming back and attempting to express my views has shown me that the antagonism between myself and Les and Odeon still very much exists.
I know that Im very welcome on this site, even by Odeon. However I feel that anytime I express a controversial view, get involved in an argument with one of their mates, or just generally make a prat of myself, that I'm going to have to spend the next few days having to deal with those two.
As you know, Im not the type to avoid trouble, and I would never be happy being here but keeping out of trouble.
If the place was good again, I would definitely come back and put up with the antagonism, but it just doesnt seem worth it on a site that is so dull nowadays.
I will still be around occasionally to see how everyone is getting on, and I will still try to answer any questions on this topic.

Maybe Adam or Schleed can let you know what might make them happier here.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
tbh It's not important to me anymore really. I don't want to get interested in this place again as I spend enough time on the internet as it is. I think it's a shame if the place does just stay as the Retirement Home, but for me personally I'm no longer bothered. I doubt I will go back to considering myself a proper member here again

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »
This board seems to me to be about socializing. We come on here to hang out with our mates. As much as I like many of the older members, I need to have people that are younger as well.
To use your pub analogy, when you were 22, its unlikely youd have been a regular in a pub where all the punters were miles older than you. You might have liked a lot of them, and seen them as friends, but if it didnt have at least a decent amount of people your own age, its unlikely youd be a regular. At least, thats how I feel, and most people I know tend to hang out with people of roughly their own age, more than people of wildly different ages.

You've done this part a few times and much as I'd like to nod in agreement, I can't because it's as confusing as the rest and I'm beginning to think that you are actively avoiding my question. See, the above might work as an explanation if it was about physical age. I'd think "fine, she wants to hang out with other 20-yo's or whatever her age is". No biggie.

But then Adam chimes in and says that me and Les are being deliberately obtuse (my choice of words) because it's not about physical age. And so me the rationalist wants to know what it is about, then. How is "young" defined in this case? How is "old" explained? (Sort of beside the point but I never knew I was "old" until this thread.)

Some members are mentioned by name, of which a few are posting still and others have left for various reasons. These members are mostly physically younger than I am, but some are in their 40s and I'm struggling to understand what it is that they do that is "young", so I ask again.

I also ask if this young/old thing is more about grouping people in likes/dislikes, which also is fine but this is left without comment, too.

But no answers, no explanations. Just that deliberately dumb thing.

I don't know what to think. Except that it creates drama which creates posts.

TBH, some people fully get what I mean, and others dont. If you dont get it, then I doubt if you'll ever understand, no matter how many times I try to explain.

I sort of hoped you'd have tried at least once.

You have me, Adam, and Schleed. 3 of the few young people left on your site, all telling you more or less the same thing. That the site now holds no interest for us, to the extent that none of us really seem to be happy here.

But you still don't explain what it is that you aren't happy about. You don't tell me what you'd hope to find here (no, just saying "people in the same age group" is a cop-out), you just keep repeating the same things over and over again, like a mantra.

Your main concern appears to be winning this "argument" with me. For me, that just totally sums up what this site has become.

What *has* the site become? Be specific.

If you think this is about an argument and nothing more, there's very little for me to add except to say that you really don't know me at all. I have been very specific and hopefully clear about what I want with this one.

You keep bringing up the failure of Zomg and s2. All Zomg and s2 really prove is that a decent chunk of the membership here are so dissatisfied with this place that they feel the need to try to create a new place to hang out.

Keep bringing up the failure of...? I think I mention them in just one single post in this thread. No need to misrepresent what I said. I'm starting to wonder what your point with posting in this thread was.  It doesn't seem to me that you are particularly interested in trying to change what you don't like about I2.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2012, 06:45:01 PM »
tbh It's not important to me anymore really. I don't want to get interested in this place again as I spend enough time on the internet as it is. I think it's a shame if the place does just stay as the Retirement Home, but for me personally I'm no longer bothered. I doubt I will go back to considering myself a proper member here again

What makes it a retirement home, in your eyes? Or is it just that you like to chime in?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Reading Schleed's reply, his answer makes a lot more sense than the bs about young people. He says:

People, not age. Now don't you think that is refreshingly honest?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
Just to clairfy, Odeon is right on this. It's not people's ages that put me off, otherwise I would not be talking to awesome members like Misskitty and such.

If anything, I really can't put my finger on it. At first I thought it was the "grumpy old man" mentality some members have here, but it's more complex than that. I'll just put it up to boredom if you want the simple explanation.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
Just to clairfy, Odeon is right on this. It's not people's ages that put me off, otherwise I would not be talking to awesome members like Misskitty and such.
Hold up...are you saying I'm OLD??!!!  :lol1:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
Age comes with experience. :eyebrows:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Reading Schleed's reply, his answer makes a lot more sense than the bs about young people. He says:

People, not age. Now don't you think that is refreshingly honest?

OK. Fair point. I'm not doing great at this, and I feel that I'm crossing a line by naming names, but I'll try this explanation.

Its not that I want to just hang out with people of my own age. I want to hang out with a mix of people.
Here are examples. I am really sorry to anyone who is pissed off with how I describe them.

Adam and Schleed. Both youngies. Love them both. Want to hang out with them.
QV. Oldie. Love her to bits. I love sharing a site with her. She is smart and wise.
Zippo. Total youngster. Good for the site. Dont like him at all.
Zegh. Under 30, but I could never put him into a group. He is a total one-off, and one of the coolest, nicest, and most brilliant people I have met on the internet.

OK, as you can see, it will make no sense to you. If it never made sense to you to begin with, it will make less sense now.

Schleed did make another good point.

If anything, I really can't put my finger on it. At first I thought it was the "grumpy old man" mentality some members have here, but it's more complex than that. I'll just put it up to boredom if you want the simple explanation.

This is very true. As Ive said, its not really biological age. The site site just feels so old-farty. What I was really trying to say in the earlier posts was that the site needed an injection of youth to shake it up and make it exciting again.