Educational

Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20871 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
And yes, me and Schleed are still posting, but not much. I come here out of habit mainly. I no longer think of this place as a forum I properly contribute to. Can't speak for Schleed, but from what he;s posted in the past, I'm guessing he too finds the place kinda boring these days as well

So yeah, while I haven't left, I definitely don't consider myself a properly active member anymore. Maybe a little more this week to post about the election etc, but generally, no. If I hadn't been here for so many years and wasn't so used to checking it every day, I probably wouldn't be here at all

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
I'd join a facebook group, but would prefer it be "secret" - lol iirc that's the term facebook use, not mine - as I'd rather keep it seperate so my posts in there don't show up to IRL people and family.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
You'll come back. Not even shleed escapes shleed's law.

I never said I was going anywhere :laugh:

Oh. :autism:

I might make a forum or try and maintain contact with you lot outside i2, ie. Skype. The only reason I went on here again is the lack of interaction with people I actually like.

I would hugely love to keep in contact, but Skype would kill me. I cant even manage MSN. Forums seem to suit my social anxiety :laugh:
Zomg still exists. If you just wanted a little forum to hang out with your mates on, it could be used.

I shyed away from ZOMG since no one really posted. I tried to talk to people via email but that didn't work either.

I was thinking of maybe forming a facebook group for us lot, that way we can have a somewhat forum-like experience while keeping it a bit social too. Thoughts?

That might be a good idea. Im locked out of my FB account, but if you do this, I'll create a new one.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
Is there an Assbook?  Since everyone's rear pretty much looks alike we'd be assured of anonymity. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
I'd join a facebook group, but would prefer it be "secret" - lol iirc that's the term facebook use, not mine - as I'd rather keep it seperate so my posts in there don't show up to IRL people and family.

Create a separate spazz account. If I had a real FB account with my non spazz mates on it, there's no way I would let you guys on it :asthing: :asthing:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
Is there an Assbook?  Since everyone's rear pretty much looks alike we'd be assured of anonymity. 

Yes.
http://www.ass-book.com/

But I think Nudebook looks more fun :bounce:
http://baredanmark.dk/lang-en/nyheder-othermenu-64/1-nyeste/111-nudebook

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »

Yes.
http://www.ass-book.com/

But I think Nudebook looks more fun :bounce:
http://baredanmark.dk/lang-en/nyheder-othermenu-64/1-nyeste/111-nudebook

There, you see younger members ARE useful.  Now we know where to go. 

I don't know why you were going on about banning them as new members.  REAL HEAVY Irony, sarcasm or whatever there. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »

It would indeed be secret. I need an outlet for my rants anyway.

I help admin a college group for me and my friends, which is also secret. Can't have lecturers snooping there, and so far they don't even know it exists.

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
Just created it. It's invite only and complete secret, so let me know on facebook and I'll add you. Any members can add anyone they know too.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
I was going to reply to Odeons post, but its hard to explain my point to him, so I'll reply to this instead.

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb, but if you've misunderstood me, then I mustnt be explaining myself well at all.

I do not dislike the old people here. Yes, there is at least one I dislike, but that has nothing to do with age. Many of you are among my favorite members. I have never had a problem with your role-playing. I have always enjoyed sharing a board with you, and most of the other older people.
However, much as I like a lot of the older people, I also need some more people of a similar age to myself, whether biological, or emotionally.

And I think you're right. Im just not intense enough for this place anymore.

"Purposefully dumb"?

Still waiting for your definitions/explanations re age. Should I grab my overnight kit?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »
I was going to reply to Odeons post, but its hard to explain my point to him, so I'll reply to this instead.

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb, but if you've misunderstood me, then I mustnt be explaining myself well at all.

I do not dislike the old people here. Yes, there is at least one I dislike, but that has nothing to do with age. Many of you are among my favorite members. I have never had a problem with your role-playing. I have always enjoyed sharing a board with you, and most of the other older people.
However, much as I like a lot of the older people, I also need some more people of a similar age to myself, whether biological, or emotionally.

And I think you're right. Im just not intense enough for this place anymore.

"Purposefully dumb"?

Still waiting for your definitions/explanations re age. Should I grab my overnight kit?

Not at all. It never seemed that way and the only way one would jump to that conclusion is to presume that what I or Odeon was stating in very concrete terms, we were lying about.

I was not lying and I can only assume that you weren't. We were both pretty clear with our statements, assertions and questions. So now as it clearly was not dumb nor a purposeful avoidance....back to you Butterflies

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:04 AM »
This board seems to me to be about socializing. We come on here to hang out with our mates. As much as I like many of the older members, I need to have people that are younger as well.
To use your pub analogy, when you were 22, its unlikely youd have been a regular in a pub where all the punters were miles older than you. You might have liked a lot of them, and seen them as friends, but if it didnt have at least a decent amount of people your own age, its unlikely youd be a regular. At least, thats how I feel, and most people I know tend to hang out with people of roughly their own age, more than people of wildly different ages.

You've done this part a few times and much as I'd like to nod in agreement, I can't because it's as confusing as the rest and I'm beginning to think that you are actively avoiding my question. See, the above might work as an explanation if it was about physical age. I'd think "fine, she wants to hang out with other 20-yo's or whatever her age is". No biggie.

But then Adam chimes in and says that me and Les are being deliberately obtuse (my choice of words) because it's not about physical age. And so me the rationalist wants to know what it is about, then. How is "young" defined in this case? How is "old" explained? (Sort of beside the point but I never knew I was "old" until this thread.)

Some members are mentioned by name, of which a few are posting still and others have left for various reasons. These members are mostly physically younger than I am, but some are in their 40s and I'm struggling to understand what it is that they do that is "young", so I ask again.

I also ask if this young/old thing is more about grouping people in likes/dislikes, which also is fine but this is left without comment, too.

But no answers, no explanations. Just that deliberately dumb thing.

I don't know what to think. Except that it creates drama which creates posts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
You'll come back. Not even shleed escapes shleed's law.

I never said I was going anywhere :laugh:

Oh. :autism:

I might make a forum or try and maintain contact with you lot outside i2, ie. Skype. The only reason I went on here again is the lack of interaction with people I actually like.

IMO this place would be poorer without you.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:30 AM »
Having now read the rest of the thread, I can't help comparing it with some incidents in the past when some people were bitching about I2 and formed Zomg or S2 or some such grouping. It's an FB group this time, and the similarities are noteworthy.

There is no attempt to explain the whys or to start a thread about something they want to read and talk about. Nothing about what doesn't work. Nothing to change anything, only to bitch about the place and some of its "old" people, without naming or explaining or otherwise qualifying.

I'd think it was easier to simply say that you want to hang you with people you like. That's what I do, here.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2012, 01:20:45 AM »
Having now read the rest of the thread, I can't help comparing it with some incidents in the past when some people were bitching about I2 and formed Zomg or S2 or some such grouping. It's an FB group this time, and the similarities are noteworthy.

There is no attempt to explain the whys or to start a thread about something they want to read and talk about. Nothing about what doesn't work. Nothing to change anything, only to bitch about the place and some of its "old" people, without naming or explaining or otherwise qualifying.

I'd think it was easier to simply say that you want to hang you with people you like. That's what I do, here.

Just a few things and at risk of repeating myself over and over, I think I would like to have this clarified.

If you are not talking  young or old in biological terms then what is the term you are associating with young and old?
If it is emotional or mental, then what is your term of reference? How do you measure against their actual age and their (emotional/mental?) age? How do you measure them up against others? What aspects of them do you configure their "age" against (apart from how they type on a keyboard)?

These are serious questions because of this.

There was a time that you and Adam and Squid in particular decided to go to extreme lengths to drive a propaganda campaign here about this place being crap, that there were too many older people, that the older people were no good and the site was failing, that the older people were part of a clique and so on. The answer was to encourage everyone who was young (and cool) to leave here and go to Spasticity and later to Zomgreloaded). When you started getting back up early in the piece by Scrap and a couple of the others who were older you all welcomed them in and amended earlier comments to allow young at heart or some such.
The sites did not do so well. The young clique broke down a bit. (Eris and Bint had a falling out and Squiddy and Scrap stopped posting on forums, etc). Now with the MLA starting this thread showing a drop in activity, I see you dragging up dead and buried ideologies. Ones that died a well deserved death back then.

I see you making overtures as to vibrance and young people here. One does not equate to the other so why are you making these associations?

Why are you suggesting that the place is dying when it has mant times in the last 6 or so years had times of similar levels or worse inactivity and never died? What is the purpose in stating it is dying?

Why are you inferring that the young people left because of the old or because of the culture?

Are you really just saying that you would like more people that you like here and that you would call them "young"?

I do not understand why you are doing and saying the above but would be very grateful if you could clarify this.

Yup that is what I was wondering too and trying to get clarified
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap