Educational

Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20998 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb

Not at all. It never seemed that way and the only way one would jump to that conclusion is to presume that what I or Odeon was stating in very concrete terms, we were lying about.

People come and people go. Some people are good and some are bad. Some are old and others young.

It would not matter to me how old any of the people here were. If i like them i will like them. If i like it here i will post.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
I post about important stuff like creating an anarchy society, post in Latin etc, but no one is interested  :thumbdn:

I don't want anarchy, I like order!   :police:   But I am learning some Latin now.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
For something completely different, just checked my memory, thought mine was failing.....

People mentioning missing Randy, and the interaction they had with him. Some joined here joined after me. I could not remember ever having encountered Randy on this place, apart from posts he had left behind.

Indeed, last time he was active on this place was December 8 2007.

So, not senile yet.

Randy was online for a few weeks after I joined. Hes not the type Im likely to forget :laugh:

Im sure I just saw a post from you saying that twitter and other more modern social media might be a contributing factor in why there are so few young people now, but I cant find it to quote it.
You could well be right. I cant say I know anything about social media, apart from that it icks me out :laugh: I suppose people have more options for where to spend their time online, and it could be that forums are feeling it the most. It is also true that the "grumpies" are more likely to stay where they are, whilst younger people are more likely to try the new stuff. It could be that this problem is not exclusive to this forum.
I definitely dont think that its the reason why so many young people have stopped posting, but it could certainly be a large part of the reason why so few are coming along to replace them.

Yup, twitter, fb, and lots of other things.

When I2, AFF and WP started, there weren't that many other options. Not for people on the spectrum, and, the internet was still a vast wide place. Now there are so many places to go to and to join. And, the autistic population did not grow just as fast as the options. (despite that wretched epidemic).
It's just like in my village, in 5 years, the number of kids (mainly girls) being a member of the gymnastics club dropped to a third. Not because of the quality of the sports, but, because of the other options arising, within travelling distance, for girls. There's dancing, there's a girls football team. Belly button staring on what went wrong and why people left is not really helpful when done too long. Getting used to being a smaller group from now on, and keeping that as healthy and fun as possible is what there is left to do.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
Okay, from the Grumpiest of the Grumpies:

As far as not being able to post an opinion that Les and odeon do not agree with - This is Intensity.  Aren't we supposed to challenge (or embrace) ideas with passion?  With argument?  With just general bull headedness?  You're able to post and anyone is able to answer. 

As far as drama - I'm not a fan of the treatment Meadow, Penty, Richard, etc. get/got sometimes.  Arguments that I'm not actively involved in scare me, always did, always will.  Yes, I will on the very rare occasion post something that contributes to the argument.  This is something I've always felt, so it's not a Grup vs Only (Grownups vs Onlies, from an old Star Trek episode) thing.

Do I like seeing nudes?  Reading about constipation?  guns?  nudes?  Nope, but I'll either skip the posts, make a joke about them or check on them periodically since so many of the threads go off track and end up somewhere else.  It's my choice to avoid them.

I'll never be young, probably never like the music of the moment or the TV series of the moment, but then, who knows? I've got some good tips from Onlies.  Do we need younger members?  IMHO we need members who can be themselves.  If you can't join at any age and find a spot for yourself, then you might not be Intense.

And BTW, I realize that my QV role playing with CBC is probably wearing on the membership.  We've cut it back considerably recently.

Over and Out.  I've finished making a doddering old fool of myself for now.  And no, I'm not leaving, although, no one has asked.

I was going to reply to Odeons post, but its hard to explain my point to him, so I'll reply to this instead.

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb, but if you've misunderstood me, then I mustnt be explaining myself well at all.

I do not dislike the old people here. Yes, there is at least one I dislike, but that has nothing to do with age. Many of you are among my favorite members. I have never had a problem with your role-playing. I have always enjoyed sharing a board with you, and most of the other older people.
However, much as I like a lot of the older people, I also need some more people of a similar age to myself, whether biological, or emotionally.

And I think you're right. Im just not intense enough for this place anymore.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't mean to imply that you should leave.  I like your generally cheery (DO NOT FIX THIS TO CHEESY) attitude and playfulness.  If we go back to posting nudes, will you stay?

Im sorry, I wasnt suggesting that I was leaving because of what you said :laugh:. I wasnt even announcing my departure :-[
I was just agreeing that I really dont fit in here in the slightest anymore, and that's absolutely not because of you. In fact, I'm just sorry that what I thought was a sensible post, giving my honest feelings on why this place appears to be going downhill, has been taken by yourself, and probably others I like, as some kind of criticism, or worse, an attack.

Im obviously not really able to explain myself adequately at all here.

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
You'll come back. Not even shleed escapes shleed's law.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
Quote from: Butterflies
I think that the site needs to make a serious effort to start to engage with the youth.

This implies a conscious, site-wide policy, which in turn implies moderation. How would you go about achieving this?

I'm not about to apologise for my age, nor will I start acting in any other way than what feels comfortable and right to me. If somebody thinks I'm not young at heart or whatever, quite frankly I could not care less. Also, I'm not about to start treating members differently based on their age, and I'm not about to change the site itself based on some probably misguided conception of what the so-called youth might expect to see here.

Interestingly, no-one's explained what that might be or, conversely, what an old person's topics might consist of.

1.)  I engage with people of all ages, aided by my own immaturity.  :stick:

2.)  Adam may be young in years, but he's a cranky old man at heart!    :oldman:

3.)  Old people love to talk about their fallen arches.  Lately mine are killing me!   :prude:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

I suppose the terms "oldie" and "youngster" are slightly misleading here. There are some people here who are under 30, but are among the dullest people I've ever encountered, and here are plenty of people in their 40s here who I think are great.

:agreed: I guess it means "young at heart"
Although it GENERALLY corresponds to actual ages, I find

Definitely not always tho. And I include bodie in the "young" group

We oldies want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:
And, we women want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:
Us parents want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:

The girl will get completely worn out, here on I2.

Even the men want bodie too, but there is no way that she fits that category.   :orly:

Bodie is universally fun, and the cow is beloved as well!   :redneck:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
@ Butterflies - Wasn't taken as a criticism of me.  Lord knows I've shocked more than one younger member here.  I just wanted to shit stir and  :mischief:  for a change.  Feeling quite contrary lately.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
Im obviously not really able to explain myself adequately at all here.

Nothing wrong with trying. It's the only way to learn. Difference between "real" life and this place isn't that big. Only that here there may be a little more patience, and blunt reaction, when communication is failing. There is space to try again. And, as long as it doesn't work, people will tell, or ignore. By the time it works, you'll get to hear it too.

In fact, I'm just sorry that what I thought was a sensible post, giving my honest feelings on why this place appears to be going downhill, has been taken by yourself, and probably others I like, as some kind of criticism, or worse, an attack.

Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, smile at yourself in the mirror, but, don't feel bad for stirring things up. If you feel bad, because people may take what you say as an attack, then you may trust the resilience of the members, and of yourself not enough. People who take it as an attack are able to defend themselves, and, probably even love it. If you don't want to be treated as an attacker, try to see what they see as an attack, and try to explain yourself better there, telling you did not mean it as an attack.

Nothing wrong with screwing things up now and then.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
@ Butterflies - Wasn't taken as a criticism of me.  Lord knows I've shocked more than one younger member here.  I just wanted to shit stir and  :mischief:  for a change.  Feeling quite contrary lately.

Ah, you've been enlightened, and have now reached the stage of the glorious old hag?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
For something completely different, just checked my memory, thought mine was failing.....

People mentioning missing Randy, and the interaction they had with him. Some joined here joined after me. I could not remember ever having encountered Randy on this place, apart from posts he had left behind.

Indeed, last time he was active on this place was December 8 2007.

So, not senile yet.

Randy was online for a few weeks after I joined. Hes not the type Im likely to forget :laugh:

Im sure I just saw a post from you saying that twitter and other more modern social media might be a contributing factor in why there are so few young people now, but I cant find it to quote it.
You could well be right. I cant say I know anything about social media, apart from that it icks me out :laugh: I suppose people have more options for where to spend their time online, and it could be that forums are feeling it the most. It is also true that the "grumpies" are more likely to stay where they are, whilst younger people are more likely to try the new stuff. It could be that this problem is not exclusive to this forum.
I definitely dont think that its the reason why so many young people have stopped posting, but it could certainly be a large part of the reason why so few are coming along to replace them.

Yup, twitter, fb, and lots of other things.

When I2, AFF and WP started, there weren't that many other options. Not for people on the spectrum, and, the internet was still a vast wide place. Now there are so many places to go to and to join. And, the autistic population did not grow just as fast as the options. (despite that wretched epidemic).
It's just like in my village, in 5 years, the number of kids (mainly girls) being a member of the gymnastics club dropped to a third. Not because of the quality of the sports, but, because of the other options arising, within travelling distance, for girls. There's dancing, there's a girls football team. Belly button staring on what went wrong and why people left is not really helpful when done too long. Getting used to being a smaller group from now on, and keeping that as healthy and fun as possible is what there is left to do.

I know youre right, and Im certainly not blaming anyone for the lack of new young people. It just saddens me that the place I loved is no longer the same.
I dont mean that in an "aspie scared of change" way.

This will sound truly pathetic to you, but the i2 of april 2010 is my ideal of how an internet forum should be. Its the only forum Ive ever used, and the only one Ive wanted to, not including Zomg or s2. The more the site gets less like it was then, the more frustrated I get with it.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »

Ah, you've been enlightened, and have now reached the stage of the glorious old hag?

Dont wanna be  :witch1:  Wanna be   :puppy:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

Theres nothing wrong with being a contrary shit stirrer :angel:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, smile at yourself in the mirror, but, don't feel bad for stirring things up. If you feel bad, because people may take what you say as an attack, then you may trust the resilience of the members, and of yourself not enough. People who take it as an attack are able to defend themselves, and, probably even love it. If you don't want to be treated as an attacker, try to see what they see as an attack, and try to explain yourself better there, telling you did not mean it as an attack.

Nothing wrong with screwing things up now and then.

Im not worried about stirring things up. I dont even mind causing offence :laugh: I just hate causing offence to the wrong people :-[

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
You'll come back. Not even shleed escapes shleed's law.

I never said I was going anywhere :laugh: