Educational

Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20962 times)

TheoK

Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
Fortes este, Papiliones!  :viking:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
MLA created a thread where he posted 4 graphs, highlighting how much less active the site now was. He also labeled the thread "A retrospective." It appeared that he was looking for people to discuss the situation, and to look at why the site is faring so badly these days.

As someone who was a very active member of the site, but who now feels it has lost its way, I thought I was in a good position to explain why the site has lost its appeal to me.
I politely gave my opinions on the matter, and now, because yourself, and Les disagree with my opinions, you have spent the next 6 pages hassling me about my opinion.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that I was alluding to in my first couple of posts on this subject. It feels like nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that you and Les disagree with. If I have an opinion that you guys dislike, you appear to just want to hound, and hound away, pushing me to explain every word of what I've said.

But you haven't voiced any actual opinions beyond saying that you want to mix with young people, eventually qualifying it with that no, you don't mean *age-wise*.

And that's it. No explanations, no suggestions, no defining of what makes someone old or young if it isn't age, nothing about what the site should be about, no hints beyond yelling THE SITE IS DYING, THE SITE IS DYING (which incidentally doesn't make it so).

And it's more than a little confusing. And when I don't accept what I find flawed theories at face values, you retort with "this is exactly the kind of behaviour  I was talking about".

No you weren't. We did ask wtf you were on about, and quite politely too, but this is what we get as an answer, not something constructive or even remotely illuminating.

Now, I'm sure you'll put this down as another example of the grumpies clique fighting down the youth, but I really would like you to at least explain that young/old thing. If it isn't about age, then what *is* it about?

And "hassling"? Oh please.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
There's no need to play dumb Les. You know Im not suggesting that young people are leaving because of the grumpies. Im suggesting that some of the younger people are leaving, or not sticking around, because there are so few people of their own age, who they might actually want to hang out with.
There is a big difference between what Im saying, and the opinions that you are trying your hardest to ascribe to me.

Age as in physical years? I'm confused.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »

Fortitudinis a facie tyrannidis :viking: :viking:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

TheoK

« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
Butterflies means that she wants biologically young people and young-at-heart people like me :toporly:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:37:15 PM by Lit »

TheoK

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »

Fortitudinis a facie tyrannidis :viking: :viking:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sic semper tyrannis!  :viking: :viking: :viking:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »
Eris left because of Pig, not because of people her own age?
Scrap left because of trying to make some bullshit point about moderation, not people not being his age?
Binty had some issue and meltdown over you or Adam i think? That is how I remember. Wasn't about people being his age or not
EBM is a seasonal poster due to his work which makes internet unavailable to him? Nothing to do with people his own age
Adam is still posting here, as is Schleed.

I have no idea what you are saying about people leaving because of the age of people on here.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
Okay, from the Grumpiest of the Grumpies:

As far as not being able to post an opinion that Les and odeon do not agree with - This is Intensity.  Aren't we supposed to challenge (or embrace) ideas with passion?  With argument?  With just general bull headedness?  You're able to post and anyone is able to answer. 

As far as drama - I'm not a fan of the treatment Meadow, Penty, Richard, etc. get/got sometimes.  Arguments that I'm not actively involved in scare me, always did, always will.  Yes, I will on the very rare occasion post something that contributes to the argument.  This is something I've always felt, so it's not a Grup vs Only (Grownups vs Onlies, from an old Star Trek episode) thing.

Do I like seeing nudes?  Reading about constipation?  guns?  nudes?  Nope, but I'll either skip the posts, make a joke about them or check on them periodically since so many of the threads go off track and end up somewhere else.  It's my choice to avoid them.

I'll never be young, probably never like the music of the moment or the TV series of the moment, but then, who knows? I've got some good tips from Onlies.  Do we need younger members?  IMHO we need members who can be themselves.  If you can't join at any age and find a spot for yourself, then you might not be Intense.

And BTW, I realize that my QV role playing with CBC is probably wearing on the membership.  We've cut it back considerably recently.

Over and Out.  I've finished making a doddering old fool of myself for now.  And no, I'm not leaving, although, no one has asked.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »

As far as not being able to post an opinion that Les and odeon do not agree with - This is Intensity.  Aren't we supposed to challenge (or embrace) ideas with passion?  With argument?  With just general bull headedness?  You're able to post and anyone is able to answer. 

As far as drama - I'm not a fan of the treatment Meadow, Penty, Richard, etc. get/got sometimes.  Arguments that I'm not actively involved in scare me, always did, always will.  Yes, I will on the very rare occasion post something that contributes to the argument.  This is something I've always felt, so it's not a Grup vs Only (Grownups vs Onlies, from an old Star Trek episode) thing.

Do I like seeing nudes?  Reading about constipation?  guns?  nudes?  Nope, but I'll either skip the posts, make a joke about them or check on them periodically since so many of the threads go off track and end up somewhere else.  It's my choice to avoid them.

I'll never be young, probably never like the music of the moment or the TV series of the moment, but then, who knows? I've got some good tips from Onlies.  Do we need younger members?  IMHO we need members who can be themselves.  If you can't join at any age and find a spot for yourself, then you might not be Intense.

And BTW, I realize that my QV role playing with CBC is probably wearing on the membership.  We've cut it back considerably recently.

Over and Out.  I've finished making a doddering old fool of myself for now.  And no, I'm not leaving, although, no one has asked.

Very wise, milady
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

Very wise, milady

Uh, what part was wise?  My last 5 sentences?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

Very wise, milady

Uh, what part was wise?  My last 5 sentences?

Your summation of this place and what it is or isn't and such.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »

I was going to reply to Odeons post, but its hard to explain my point to him, so I'll reply to this instead.

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb, but if you've misunderstood me, then I mustnt be explaining myself well at all.

I do not dislike the old people here. Yes, there is at least one I dislike, but that has nothing to do with age. Many of you are among my favorite members. I have never had a problem with your role-playing. I have always enjoyed sharing a board with you, and most of the other older people.
However, much as I like a lot of the older people, I also need some more people of a similar age to myself, whether biological, or emotionally.

And I think you're right. Im just not intense enough for this place anymore.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
Eris left because of Pig, not because of people her own age?
Scrap left because of trying to make some bullshit point about moderation, not people not being his age?
Binty had some issue and meltdown over you or Adam i think? That is how I remember. Wasn't about people being his age or not
EBM is a seasonal poster due to his work which makes internet unavailable to him? Nothing to do with people his own age
Adam is still posting here, as is Schleed.

I have no idea what you are saying about people leaving because of the age of people on here.

They all had their own reasons for leaving. I think the site is a hell of a lot poorer without them.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »
MLA created a thread where he posted 4 graphs, highlighting how much less active the site now was. He also labeled the thread "A retrospective." It appeared that he was looking for people to discuss the situation, and to look at why the site is faring so badly these days.

As someone who was a very active member of the site, but who now feels it has lost its way, I thought I was in a good position to explain why the site has lost its appeal to me.
I politely gave my opinions on the matter, and now, because yourself, and Les disagree with my opinions, you have spent the next 6 pages hassling me about my opinion.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that I was alluding to in my first couple of posts on this subject. It feels like nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that you and Les disagree with. If I have an opinion that you guys dislike, you appear to just want to hound, and hound away, pushing me to explain every word of what I've said.

But you haven't voiced any actual opinions beyond saying that you want to mix with young people, eventually qualifying it with that no, you don't mean *age-wise*.

And that's it. No explanations, no suggestions, no defining of what makes someone old or young if it isn't age, nothing about what the site should be about, no hints beyond yelling THE SITE IS DYING, THE SITE IS DYING (which incidentally doesn't make it so).

And it's more than a little confusing. And when I don't accept what I find flawed theories at face values, you retort with "this is exactly the kind of behaviour  I was talking about".

No you weren't. We did ask wtf you were on about, and quite politely too, but this is what we get as an answer, not something constructive or even remotely illuminating.

Now, I'm sure you'll put this down as another example of the grumpies clique fighting down the youth, but I really would like you to at least explain that young/old thing. If it isn't about age, then what *is* it about?

And "hassling"? Oh please.

I suppose its hard to fully explain what Im saying without using people as examples, which is kinda rude. I'll try my best, but without naming names.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and trust that youre genuinely confused by my comments, and not just looking to fight me. Im struggling to think of how to explain this to you, and I might not do a good job.

This board seems to me to be about socializing. We come on here to hang out with our mates. As much as I like many of the older members, I need to have people that are younger as well.
To use your pub analogy, when you were 22, its unlikely youd have been a regular in a pub where all the punters were miles older than you. You might have liked a lot of them, and seen them as friends, but if it didnt have at least a decent amount of people your own age, its unlikely youd be a regular. At least, thats how I feel, and most people I know tend to hang out with people of roughly their own age, more than people of wildly different ages.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »

I was going to reply to Odeons post, but its hard to explain my point to him, so I'll reply to this instead.

It seemed that Odeon and Les were being purposely dumb, but if you've misunderstood me, then I mustnt be explaining myself well at all.

I do not dislike the old people here. Yes, there is at least one I dislike, but that has nothing to do with age. Many of you are among my favorite members. I have never had a problem with your role-playing. I have always enjoyed sharing a board with you, and most of the other older people.
However, much as I like a lot of the older people, I also need some more people of a similar age to myself, whether biological, or emotionally.

And I think you're right. Im just not intense enough for this place anymore.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't mean to imply that you should leave.  I like your generally cheery (DO NOT FIX THIS TO CHEESY) attitude and playfulness.  If we go back to posting nudes, will you stay?