Educational

Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20859 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
Im not sure that rebranding is the answer, but I do feel that the site is badly struggling right now. Im sure that different people will have different ideas on where its all gone wrong, and I'm also sure that there will be some who prefer the site as it is now.
Clearly the active membership has declined over the last year or so, and that does coincide with the time that a large amount of younger members stopped posting, or left altogether.
I can also say that as a young person myself, the relative absence of other young people on the site is the main reason why I think I dont find the site very interesting these days.

CBC's declining posting average is a bigger factor, tbh. As for "struggling", post something that you find interesting or something you think your age group might find interesting. Nothing is stopping you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
tbh I get the feeling the old fogeys like Les are happy for it to just stay as it is . The nice little Intensity Squared Autistic Retirement Home :zoinks:

How is Kindergarten Zomg anyway, these days? :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
LOL, missed a whole page, in this debate.

A forum is a thing that slowly may get outdated. Newer social media are a lot faster, quicker, and, more social. And, that may be why "the young" are not joining in big numbers on I2.

Im not sure that rebranding is the answer, but I do feel that the site is badly struggling right now. Im sure that different people will have different ideas on where its all gone wrong, and I'm also sure that there will be some who prefer the site as it is now.
Clearly the active membership has declined over the last year or so, and that does coincide with the time that a large amount of younger members stopped posting, or left altogether.
I can also say that as a young person myself, the relative absence of other young people on the site is the main reason why I think I dont find the site very interesting these days.

CBC's declining posting average is a bigger factor, tbh. As for "struggling", post something that you find interesting or something you think your age group might find interesting. Nothing is stopping you.

Someone needs to kick that Weeble in the ass.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
I'm not really comfortable answering this question, but if I had to name a few young people off the top of my head, who have either left or severely cut back on their posting I would say, Squiddy, Eris, Adam, Schleed, Scrappy, Binty, Penty, and myself. Thats not including people like Trigger or EBM who dont seem to be around now, and who could probably fall into the "young" category.
That is at least 8 people, all young, who were very active members. A very rough look at the figures suggests that the average amount of members online each day has fallen from around 31, 18 months ago, to around 16 now. I can understand if you arent bothered by the site losing these people, but I think it would be downright silly to suggest that the site hasnt suffered badly for their loss.

Adam and Schleed are posting here. Binty wanted away from every kind of forum, AFAIK. Trigger is around, every now and then, but was never a particularly frequent poster. Eris and quite a few of the younger folks got along swimmingly, I seem to remember, as did Penty and mostly everyone.

And here you are, posting.

Unless your main driving force here is generating drama, I don't understand your point at all.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
lol Les have you not been reading what Butterflies said?

She's not talking about biologica/legal age

I am presuming this is what she means, because if she or anyone else were to try and make any assumption of how old any one person on here was in any other way, they would be completely idiotic.
No really they would be. What would they have to base this off? How they behave with their friends? in their workplace? With their children? With their peers? Or what they say on the forum?
How do you reconcile this mental or emtional age against their biological age? What method exactly? What point of reference? What measure?
I think if anyone has or is attempting this, they are not worth asking for their opinions, as their thinking is flawed.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »

I remember that aroud the time of the launch of Spasticity, some of the younger members were making similar claims but in a much more negative and condemning fashion, as to how IntensitySquared was inactive and full of old folk and non-interesting, etc.
They started a new site to cater for younger and cooler members.
Whatever happened there? Surely it would have florished with the activity and vibrant mood?
Personally i believe that this site has and will always have florishes. ups and downs, activity-wise.

But I may be being a bit dismissive here. Who are the active younger members that have stopped posting recently, that the site would benefit from having here?

I remember that aroud the time of the launch of Spasticity, some of the younger members were making similar claims but in a much more negative and condemning fashion, as to how IntensitySquared was inactive and full of old folk and non-interesting, etc.
Whatever happened there? Surely it would have florished with the activity and vibrant mood?
Personally i believe that this site has and will always have florishes. ups and downs, activity-wise.
As Ive said several times. I feel a small site needs a good mix of people, of all ages. I2 currently has a problem in that it struggles to attract younger people. Zomg and S2 didnt really attract oldies, and I feel that was every bit as big a problem. We all saw how Zomg and S2 ended, so Im not really sure that they are a very good example of why I2 should never change.

But I may be being a bit dismissive here. Who are the active younger members that have stopped posting recently, that the site would benefit from having here?

I'm not really comfortable answering this question, but if I had to name a few young people off the top of my head, who have either left or severely cut back on their posting I would say, Squiddy, Eris, Adam, Schleed, Scrappy, Binty, Penty, and myself. Thats not including people like Trigger or EBM who dont seem to be around now, and who could probably fall into the "young" category.
That is at least 8 people, all young, who were very active members. A very rough look at the figures suggests that the average amount of members online each day has fallen from around 31, 18 months ago, to around 16 now. I can understand if you arent bothered by the site losing these people, but I think it would be downright silly to suggest that the site hasnt suffered badly for their loss.

Were we to entertain this as being problematic and so forth, we would look at each of the people in turn.

Squiddy? Some miss him. I don't.
Eris and Binty? They left recently after a big meltdowns. It seems as if they had a bigger problem with the younger members than the older members. 
Scrappy was in his forties and not a younger member. He was ridiculous and almost a caricature
EBM and Eris  and Trigger are in their 30's and are not that far removed in age from me.
Penty? Dunno what happened with him and had not realised he was not posting until you mentioned it,
I see no real drop in post with Adam.
I see you back, but then I did not miss you when you were gone nor was I bothered by your return.
Shleed? Again whether he posts or not ....meh.

You missed out on Calvera. He was in age probably younger than Trigger, EBM and Eris.

In fact Trigger could well be my age or older

OK, so we have established that you dont miss the young people who dont post much now. It seems that you would prefer to post on a dying site with your mates, than on a vibrant site with a lot of people youre not keen on. If you take a look at the site stats, you will see that the site is far from being better off without them.
Of course, youre welcome to feel that way. I can even understand it. However, it doesnt seem like an attitude that is helpful to the site.

As a young person, its that group of people who would encourage me to hang around here, and to post regularly.

And I didnt forget about Calavera.

TheoK

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »

TheoK

« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »

As Ive said several times. I feel a small site needs a good mix of people, of all ages. I2 currently has a problem in that it struggles to attract younger people. Zomg and S2 didnt really attract oldies, and I feel that was every bit as big a problem. We all saw how Zomg and S2 ended, so Im not really sure that they are a very good example of why I2 should never change.

Were we to entertain this as being problematic and so forth, we would look at each of the people in turn.

Eris and Binty? They left recently after a big meltdowns. It seems as if they had a bigger problem with the younger members than the older members. 
Scrappy was in his forties and not a younger member. He was ridiculous and almost a caricature
EBM and Eris  and Trigger are in their 30's and are not that far removed in age from me.
Penty? Dunno what happened with him and had not realised he was not posting until you mentioned it,
I see you back, but then I did not miss you when you were gone nor was I bothered by your return.

You missed out on Calvera. He was in age probably younger than Trigger, EBM and Eris.

OK, so we have established that you dont miss the young people who dont post much now. It seems that you would prefer to post on a dying site with your mates, than on a vibrant site with a lot of people youre not keen on. If you take a look at the site stats, you will see that the site is far from being better off without them.
Of course, youre welcome to feel that way. I can even understand it. However, it doesnt seem like an attitude that is helpful to the site.

As a young person, its that group of people who would encourage me to hang around here, and to post regularly.

I miss Bintska, Squiddy and Scrapheap  :(

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
lol Les have you not been reading what Butterflies said?

She's not talking about biologica/legal age

Seems to me she was. Certainly she has not qualified it in any other way.

The "young at heart" bullshit is, well, bullshit. Seems to me it's simply something you excuse yourself with when forming a clique consisting of people you happen to like.

Unless you actually have defined what the youth demographic group want to see here and I just missed it.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
I have a weak spot for Squiddy.

I don't think he left out of boredom though.

I never saw Scrappy as young.....

EBM comes and goes, he always did, he probably always will. Nice to see him when he pops up though.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2012, 12:59:04 PM »

You didn't mention him, so it was a fair assumption to make.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »

A dying site or a site that is just bereft of a lot of activity for a time. These are two very different things.
Before answering. over the last 5 or 6 years, there have been other similar times where the stats have similarlydropped and even to levels lower than this.
So can you clarify what you meant? Dying site or a site with a drop in activity?
I honestly don't care if young people or old people post. I don't care if you or Binty or Eris or Scrap or whomever post
I know when Scrap was last here with Squiddy and Eris and Binty it was not "vibrant". I know that having young people here does not equate to making it vibrant and I know you would not be making such a stupid association between the the two terms, right?
Young posters =/= vibrant
Young posters can be vibrant but this is not causal.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »
For something completely different, just checked my memory, thought mine was failing.....

People mentioning missing Randy, and the interaction they had with him. Some joined here joined after me. I could not remember ever having encountered Randy on this place, apart from posts he had left behind.

Indeed, last time he was active on this place was December 8 2007.

So, not senile yet.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
My recollection is that the site was far from vibrant with said "youngsters" around. There was plenty of drama, though, and some of the youngsters still manage to create drama, without even being here.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »
For something completely different, just checked my memory, thought mine was failing.....

People mentioning missing Randy, and the interaction they had with him. Some joined here joined after me. I could not remember ever having encountered Randy on this place, apart from posts he had left behind.

Indeed, last time he was active on this place was December 8 2007.

So, not senile yet.

Randy has had several accounts here. I don't remember what his last one was, tbh.

- Albert Einstein