Author Topic: 2012 - a retrospective  (Read 20920 times)

TheoK

Re: 2012 - a retrospective
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
Bloody lovely :-*

Culus teus mihi gratus est. Multum bene  8)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »
I'll try and explain things from my POV. A lot of you will disagree, but this is just an opinion.

In the past, when the site was good, some of the younger members, myself included, felt that there was quite a bit of bias towards the older established people on the site. Basically, it felt to me that younger people were very welcome, but the established oldies could do what they wanted with impunity, while the younger members would quickly be torn to pieces for fairly minor stuff.
With Odeon and the mods being of similar ages, and Odeons friends being a similar age, it kinda felt like there was an elite class on this site, with one set of rules applying to the "establishment," and another set of rules for the rest. (BTW. This is not meant as a criticism of the mods, or Odeon, who do a good job.) This was never really a big deal for me in the past, as I felt that I had a good relationship with most members. Also, most importantly, there was always enough young people here that it was easy enough to avoid the worst of the fuddy-duddyness.

Now that there are so few young people who are regularly active here, it feels impossible for me to see this site as anything other than an old-persons site. Yes, I'm deeply fond of a lot of these oldies, and I'd love to hang out on a site with them, but for that to happen, there would need to be a good mix of people.
In the past, I feel that the relative diversity on the site kept it good. We may only have averaged around 25-30 members per day, but in that small group of people, we had a great mix.
In a funny kind of way, I felt that the interaction between the older, more stable members, and the younger, drama producing members, was one of the sites biggest strengths.
We tried to get Zomg running, and IMO, part of the reason it failed was because few of the older sensible people chose to be really active members. It could have worked with only the young, and young at heart, but it would have been an uphill struggle.
This place seems to be having a similar problem, but in reverse. The site appears to be in a self-perpetuating cycle, where the more that it becomes a wrinkle-fest, the less appealing it becomes to younger people.
Also, I don't think it helps that the "establishment" keep getting older :green: When this site was new, the "oldies" like Odeon and Callaway would still have been quite young. 5 years from now, they will be practically elderly :laugh: As the average age of the "establishment" increases, the age gap between them and the new members increases. Not many people under 30 would want to join a site where the "establishment" is so much older than them

OK, I think I'm finished with my stream of consciousness ramble for now, but to sum thing up for those who cant be arsed reading my essay :laugh:, I think that the site needs to make a serious effort to start to engage with the youth.

TheoK

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
I'm not so young anymore, but I'm a rebel!  :orly: :viking:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
I'm not so young anymore, but I'm a rebel!  :orly: :viking:

You are young at heart, just like Scrappy. I miss him :(

TheoK

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
Et ego :(

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
I have never had a problem with interacting with younger people.  Both online and IRL i tend to engage with 'the youth'  as easily as i do with my own age.  Then again, i am a frequent dunker in the fountain of youth. :P

There is another side to this, though.  I have come across plenty of young people that just make me yawn,  or i think to myself thank fuck i will never ever have to go for a drink with them.
blah blah blah

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
Et ego :(

Dont be sad. Its good to be young at heart :viking:

I have never had a problem with interacting with younger people.  Both online and IRL i tend to engage with 'the youth'  as easily as i do with my own age.  Then again, i am a frequent dunker in the fountain of youth. :P

There is another side to this, though.  I have come across plenty of young people that just make me yawn,  or i think to myself thank fuck i will never ever have to go for a drink with them.

You're not an oldie. You are one of the people who can easily get on with people of all ages here.

I suppose the terms "oldie" and "youngster" are slightly misleading here. There are some people here who are under 30, but are among the dullest people I've ever encountered, and here are plenty of people in their 40s here who I think are great.

TheoK

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Ago vobis gratias, Papilliones!  :)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
Ago vobis gratias, Papilliones!  :)

non sollicitissimum fortis generosum

TheoK

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
 :)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
I feel old, but then, even my kids feel old, now and then.  :hyke: :hyke: :hyke:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »
One idea is link the site on /b/  :autism:

In all seriousness, i'm more bored than usual, so most of my posts are a result of boredom.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

I suppose the terms "oldie" and "youngster" are slightly misleading here. There are some people here who are under 30, but are among the dullest people I've ever encountered, and here are plenty of people in their 40s here who I think are great.

:agreed: I guess it means "young at heart"
Although it GENERALLY corresponds to actual ages, I find

Definitely not always tho. And I include bodie in the "young" group

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »

:agreed: I guess it means "young at heart"
Although it GENERALLY corresponds to actual ages, I find

Definitely not always tho. And I include bodie in the "young" group

We oldies want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:
And, we women want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:
Us parents want bodie too.  :2thumbsup:

The girl will get completely worn out, here on I2.

Even the men want bodie too, but there is no way that she fits that category.   :orly:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
For me anyways it doesnt matter if a messege board is popular or not. I'll post on here until something in the real world captivates my attention more, I also think topics like this were made out of resentment because they secretly want to post on more active forums.

but either cant,  :zoinks:
Or have the secret to turn everyday common water into gasoline. :prude:
:skywarp: