Educational

Poll

Are you now, or have you ever been a smoker?

Yes, currently a smoker
No, I quit and it was hard
No, I quit and it was easy
No, I have never smoked
I am an occasional smoker but don't consider myself addicted
Addicted to chocolate

Author Topic: Smokers?  (Read 1534 times)

midlifeaspie

Smokers?
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
I was thinking about addiction and addictive tendencies this morning and became curious about this groups experience with tobacco.  Answer if you feel like it.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Smokers?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
  Good topic, but I don't fit any of the voting categories.  I have never
  had a  habit  of smoking, but out of curiosity I have smoked sporadically over the years
  (between ages 19 and 33).  I have smoked less than a pack in my life.  I'm sure I looked
  really badass standing by the side of the road in a neighborhood far from home,
  awkwardly puffing where no one I know could see me.  :autism:

I have to say, as little as I've smoked, I do "get" the addictiveness of it, somewhat. 
  I remember my vision suddenly getting sharper for a moment after taking
  the first drag, and years after my last cigarette I have occasionally, out of nowhere,
  recalled the taste and/or craved the taste. It's a good thing I've never gotten
  hooked!  I congest easily and have bronchitis almost every winter, accompanied
  by a worse cough than I've heard from any of my smoking co-workers.  :autism:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:31:11 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
I smoke cigars to and fro'  8)

midlifeaspie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
  Good topic, but I don't fit any of the voting categories.  I have never
  had a  habit  of smoking, but out of curiosity I have smoked sporadically over the years
  (between ages 19 and 33).  I have smoked less than a pack in my life.  I'm sure I looked
  really badass standing by the side of the road in a neighborhood far from home,
  awkwardly puffing where no one I know could see me.  :autism:

I have to say, as little as I've smoked, I do "get" the addictiveness of it, somewhat. 
  I remember my vision suddenly getting sharper for a moment after taking
  the first drag, and years after my last cigarette I have occasionally, out of nowhere,
  recalled the taste and/or craved the taste. It's a good thing I've never gotten
  hooked!  I congest easily and have bronchitis almost every winter, accompanied
  by a worse cough than I've heard from any of my smoking co-workers.  :autism:

I added an option for you :)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
  Thank you for the option!  I smoked my last cig at least a dozen years ago,
  so I think I'm safely non-addicted.  I'm grateful neither parent smoked.  :)

People forget.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
I quit 5 years ago and used a website support group with a handy gadget that sends me stats like this every couple of months:

1851 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 27 seconds smoke free.

37033 cigarettes not smoked.

$12,038.00 and 9 months, 12 days, 21 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 9/16/2007 6:00:00 PM

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »
I quit 5 years ago and used a website support group with a handy gadget that sends me stats like this every couple of months:

Those are wonderful numbers, congratulations.  :)

People forget.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
I started smoking at uni and gave it up 9 months later or thereabouts.  I think it started with accepting the occasional offer of a cigarette while drinking in the bar and enjoying the buzz of the nicotine (feels much better when drunk than when sober), and soon I was buying pouches of tobacco and getting to practice my cigarette rolling perhaps 10 times a day.  It helped with the stress at uni, but I didn't want to ruin my health, so I gave it up.  It took a couple of tries to quit, since I was pretty well addicted to it, but I made it and was free from cravings after a few months.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »

They are pretty close to the same amount of time that I spent as a serious smoker, so when you look at the numbers in reverse they are kind of stomach-turning.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »

They are pretty close to the same amount of time that I spent as a serious smoker, so when you look at the numbers in reverse they are kind of stomach-turning.

I hate to see my friends smoke.  I once estimated that one friend would save $6,000
  in one year if she and her husband quit.  I will keep encouraging her to quit!  :viking:

People forget.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »

I hate to see my friends smoke.  I once estimated that one friend would save $6,000
  in one year if she and her husband quit.  I will keep encouraging her to quit!  :viking:

I'm pretty sure I wasn't spending anywhere close to that amount when I was smoking, but that's because I was using rolling tobacco; a £5 pouch would last me a couple of weeks or something (the cigarettes I rolled would be a lot smaller than the ones that come in packets, and I couldn't pack too much tobacco into them or I wouldn't be able to draw air through them).
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:25 AM »
Don't know what to fill in in the poll.  :P

I've smoked, on occasions. Liked the taste, did inhale, but, it did not make me crave for more.
Found it ideal, when going out with friends, after one fag, smoke in bars didn't irritate my eyes any more.
Liked the taste of cigars even better. So, may have bought three tins of cigars, in my life. (yeah, really heavy user....)

Smoked a bit more around my twenties and forties, when I used cannabis using tobacco as a flammable. Was not hard to stop with that either. Disliked the effect of the tobacco.
Somehow the smoking things, and alcohol are not the hard addictions.

Chocolate though, that's way harder.

And, when agitated, under stress, or what ever, I crave dairy and sugar, and, it isn't doing me any good when I'm in that mode. Downward spiral, making me crave for more, etc.

Funny, when everything is OK, sugar and milk don't have that hold on me.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:18 AM »

I've smoked, on occasions. Liked the taste, did inhale, but, it did not make me crave for more.
Found it ideal, when going out with friends, after one fag, smoke in bars didn't irritate my eyes any more.
Liked the taste of cigars even better. So, may have bought three tins of cigars, in my life. (yeah, really heavy user....)

Smoked a bit more around my twenties and forties, when I used cannabis using tobacco as a flammable. Was not hard to stop with that either. Disliked the effect of the tobacco.

And, when agitated, under stress, or what ever, I crave dairy and sugar, and, it isn't doing me any good when I'm in that mode. Downward spiral, making me crave for more, etc.

I avoid chocolate since once I start eating it regularly, I get withdrawal effects when I stop (headaches and feeling lousy for a couple of days and cravings that last a few weeks).  The headaches and lousy feeling from quitting caffeine is worse than for chocolate, but the cravings for caffeine are much milder.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
  I have always loved the smell of cigarette smoke mixed with fresh outdoor air.
  I foolishly expected my first cigarette to taste like that.  I sure got a surprise!  :sick:

People forget.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »

I added an option for you too, but am out of space for any more :)