Educational

Author Topic: Presidential debate  (Read 1900 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Presidential debate
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Obama failed to deliver on healthcare

Details please

Congress was partially at fault as well. The AHCFAA passed but there was no Public Option, and then there is the Mandate. Seems like no real change to me and more like business as usual in disguise.

Congress was "partially at fault" for not passing something only they could pass?  When you look at how difficult it was to get anything passed at all, I give him an A for doing what he did.

You are forgetting the power of veto. Why sign a bill into law that you know is not going to really change anything?

If you think the Affordable Care Act didn't "change anything" then I can't debate the topic any further with you as you are woefully misinformed or intentionally ignorant.

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »

Details please

Congress was partially at fault as well. The AHCFAA passed but there was no Public Option, and then there is the Mandate. Seems like no real change to me and more like business as usual in disguise.

Congress was "partially at fault" for not passing something only they could pass?  When you look at how difficult it was to get anything passed at all, I give him an A for doing what he did.

You are forgetting the power of veto. Why sign a bill into law that you know is not going to really change anything?

If you think the Affordable Care Act didn't "change anything" then I can't debate the topic any further with you as you are woefully misinformed or intentionally ignorant.

Tell me, what did it change? What did it do other than giving the Insurance companies more power?
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
I understand not being happy with either candidate in a two party state, but isn't a vote for the little guy a vote for Romney?

Surely it's best to vote for Obama anyway, if only to keep out the lunatic?

Even aside from politics, I believe Obama is a decent guy (as decent as a politician can get :P ) and he's clearly more intelligent than Romney and most Republicans (I hesitate to say ALL republicans). Actually fuck it, he's clearly more intelligent than any Republicans.

Romney makes me squirm. I just can;t stand the guy at all. Personally I don't see how anyone could ever think of voting Republican. I can't see how anyone would ever vote Tory over here, and the Republicans are way worse than the Tories

TheoK

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Anarchy ftw  :viking:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »

Details please

Tell me, what did it change? What did it do other than giving the Insurance companies more power?

I'm not getting into what this legislation does, how it works, or why the opposition is so up in arms about it that they are now running their third election season based primarily on opposing or repealing it.  The information is out there if you want to look it up yourself.  I simply don't have it in me any more to educate yet another person on this issue.

Suffice it to say that as an insurance executive and a law student, hearing someone way that this law doesn't "do anything" only reinforces my opinion that the general voting public are so ignorant that we are all doomed.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »
I understand not being happy with either candidate in a two party state, but isn't a vote for the little guy a vote for Romney?

I don't follow.  Might be another language barrier thing :)

Here, the "little guy" is the opposite of the "big business".  A vote for Romney is a vote to take money and services away from the "little guy" so the "big business" can ship more American jobs to China and get a tax break for doing it.

TheoK

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
The dilemma with the capitalism being is that it is state capitalism and not true capitalism. That's why most "small guys" are being "robbed".

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

Here, the "little guy" is the opposite of the "big business".  A vote for Romney is a vote to take money and services away from the "little guy" so the "big business" can ship more American jobs to China and get a tax break for doing it.

"the little guy" usually means the same thing here if talking about small shops compareed to supermarkets etc. I didn't mean in business terms tho there - I meant one of the random non Dem/Rep candidates no one in the rest of the world has heard of

Basically surely the only real options are romney or obama. In which case you need to vote for Obama even if only to keep the lunatic out

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
 :nerdy: I won't pretend to know a fat lot about American politics.

I think i can safely say,  from the ickle bit of knowledge i have digested, that i would be voting for Obama.

Even if i had no knowledge whatsoever i could never vote for Romney.  He just looks like a used car salesman i once knew.   :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »

Details please

I'm not getting into what this legislation does, how it works, or why the opposition is so up in arms about it that they are now running their third election season based primarily on opposing or repealing it.  The information is out there if you want to look it up yourself.  I simply don't have it in me any more to educate yet another person on this issue.

Suffice it to say that as an insurance executive and a law student, hearing someone way that this law doesn't "do anything" only reinforces my opinion that the general voting public are so ignorant that we are all doomed.

It does not do anything that will make a real difference and I know most of the provisions of the law.  With that being said, the only thing that will make a real difference is completely socialized medicine modeled after the NHS of the UK.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »

"the little guy" usually means the same thing here if talking about small shops compareed to supermarkets etc. I didn't mean in business terms tho there - I meant one of the random non Dem/Rep candidates no one in the rest of the world has heard of

Basically surely the only real options are romney or obama. In which case you need to vote for Obama even if only to keep the lunatic out

:agreed:    I vote Democrat because their candidates have the best chance of
  keeping the right-wing Christians out of office, and that is important to me.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
I would do the same too

I'm a Labour Party supporter here. Theyre not perfect, but they're the best of a bad bunch, by far. you're not gonna find a party who agrees with you on every single point, are you? So you may as well go with the most decent one that  stands a chance of making a difference

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
What ever happened to Ron Paul?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »
He was running as a Republican and did not do so well.  He could have made a go at running as a third party but did not.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline TA

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »

He was screwed by the Romney morons.

(Not a Paultard)