Author Topic: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."  (Read 4493 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: "I read the news today, Oh Boy...."
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 03:34:05 PM »
I don't see how WP can be blamed for any of it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 12:47:58 AM »
They can't, but I would still love it if Alex got sued.  :eyebrows:

I heard through the grave vine (through a reliable source) that a while ago he actually blackmailed someone by threatening to ban her if she didn't cyber with him!  ::) Pathetic.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 07:14:46 AM »
Oh yeah, that is some quality Alex plank work right there.

I can understand why robert and ascan want to think good of alex.  They see him as bullied and most of his "mistakes" are caused by that.  But they are seeing what they want to see.  I'd love to support alex even though he is a selfish brat, but he is an incompetant selfish brat.  The reason why alex will continue to make "mistakes" in the future is because they aren't mistakes, they are the times he gets caught.  He's a sociopath, which doesn't make him evil, but it does make him selfish and impulsive, and shit like this will happen.  And I think both ascan and robert and a ton of people on here really don't see that.  It is possible to coexist with alex, but you largely cannot trust him, and you shouldnt build a relationship with him that relies on trust, because he is likely to use you.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:45 AM »
Oh yeah, that is some quality Alex plank work right there.

I can understand why robert and ascan want to think good of alex.  They see him as bullied and most of his "mistakes" are caused by that.  But they are seeing what they want to see.  I'd love to support alex even though he is a selfish brat, but he is an incompetant selfish brat.  The reason why alex will continue to make "mistakes" in the future is because they aren't mistakes, they are the times he gets caught.  He's a sociopath, which doesn't make him evil, but it does make him selfish and impulsive, and shit like this will happen.  And I think both ascan and robert and a ton of people on here really don't see that.  It is possible to coexist with alex, but you largely cannot trust him, and you shouldnt build a relationship with him that relies on trust, because he is likely to use you.
+1.

but how many times am i going to write you off, right before you pull something like this out of your perceptive thoughts.

you might actually be an exception, Nomaken.
but still, i find myself angry, then i find myself elated by you.  when is this rollercoaster going to end?
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 07:29:22 AM »
I expect when one of us dies.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 07:43:10 AM »
Yet what is the responsibility of a message board towards its posters?

How many people threaten to commit suicide on WP?  An awful lot.

Maybe this lawsuit will start to establish precedents in that area, regarding public message boards. I'm no legal mind, but I don't know of another case like this one. I can't imagine how they can create a scenario where WP has some culpability in a member's actions.

Many people blast venom around them and threaten others as a stress outlet. How many other potential criminals are lurking in the membersip at various fora? We can't know this for certain. How do you recognize if a person is at the brink of violence. WP has no responsibility in this case, especially if they can prove they were trying to contact people to stop a crime.

Alex will come out smelling like a rose, I predict.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Does anyone actually know if he is being sued though?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 08:07:26 AM »
Not sure, but I really like threads that are titled from Beatles lyrics ...

:laugh:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:10:10 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 12:07:08 PM »
The lawsuit is probably part of a bigger lawsuit against EVERYBODY involved, not just WP!  Most likely an opportunistic lawyer swooped in on the victims family when they were extremely vulnerable. The lawyers goal is to "shake" as much money down from as many people as possible, in return for a HEFTY percentage of the settlements, plus their own fees.  Win/win for the lawyer!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
The lawsuit is probably part of a bigger lawsuit against EVERYBODY involved, not just WP!  Most likely an opportunistic lawyer swooped in on the victims family when they were extremely vulnerable. The lawyers goal is to "shake" as much money down from as many people as possible, in return for a HEFTY percentage of the settlements, plus their own fees.  Win/win for the lawyer!

actually this is very likely.

whenever i am in doubt about the logic of a situation i try to follow the money.  that usually leads me to the right premise of the logic.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
This is one thing about the US that I don't like. I'm pretty neutral in the conflict I2 vs WP, actually, Alex and I changed PMs when I was new to WP and to me he seemed nice. However, I have no reason to doubt what you say about this with getting attention out of the tragedy, because that is just too much to make up, even if you hate someone. But on the same time, WP is no police and can't be held responsible for anything of this. It shouldn't even be possible in any way to drag WP into a lawsuit because of this. If it is, it's something very wrong with your legal system.

ozymandias

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 01:24:40 PM »
Unfortunately, in the US, one can sue anybody over anything at almost anytime.  Frivolous lawsuits are the norm and cause the legitimate ones to be buried under! ::)

Litigious

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 01:30:21 PM »
Unfortunately, in the US, one can sue anybody over anything at almost anytime.  Frivolous lawsuits are the norm and cause the legitimate ones to be buried under! ::)

I know.  :(  In my country it's the other way around. It's very hard to successfully sue anyone, not even the guilty ones, and you won't get much money out of it either.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 01:32:23 PM »

GOD, What a dismal outlook!

I only wish it wasn't true.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 11:51:26 PM »
It took me a long time to realize Alex was an asshole myself.