Author Topic: Should any government have the right to tell people what they can wear?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Should any government have the right to tell people what they can wear?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
I do not believe their culture is at all compatible with western culture.  >:(

You mean apart from the stupid things some westerners insist on, like freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, that sort of thing?

>:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Bazza

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 05:21:48 PM »
I do not believe their culture is at all compatible with western culture.  >:(

You mean apart from the stupid things some westerners insist on, like freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, that sort of thing?

>:(
exactly  :laugh: I tolerate anything except intolerance  :laugh:

PS - wearing a hijab or burka (sp?) is not a religious requirement.  IMO it is a statement that I do not like your culture and I will not assimilate.  Its also a reminder that moslems regard women as inferiors and that some moslem men regard "immodestly clad" western women as "fair game" and their own fault if raped.  This is a sentiment expressed by Australia's "leading moslem cleric".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 05:29:23 PM by Bazza »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 05:49:26 PM »
I know it isn't a religious requirement; rather, it's a cultural one. Also, it has NOTHING to do with the few muslims that regard western women as fair game, any more than our sinful codes of clothing have any bearing to some of the troops in Iraq regarding the local women as fair game.

I take it you'd be the one to stay at home and take care of the kids?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Bazza

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:11 PM »
:laugh: No - I had several years in the Infantry ARES, only because I was not accepted into the regular army officer training.  I still regret I was too young for Vietnam.  :laugh:

Your not one of those who tipped disabled vets out of their wheelchairs and spat on them are you?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 02:20:54 AM »
:laugh: No - I had several years in the Infantry ARES, only because I was not accepted into the regular army officer training.  I still regret I was too young for Vietnam.  :laugh:

Your not one of those who tipped disabled vets out of their wheelchairs and spat on them are you?

Nope, no need to. Usually I just leave them on the landing. ;D

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 04:41:52 AM »
I agree with Bazza. I think it's a kind of demonstratively showing that they don't accept our western countries and think it's their right to do whatever they please. It's like gay people demonstratively demanding to be "married" in church. It's just for the sake of provocation. If you're gay, you don't fit in the "normal" society anyway, so why the hell insisting on marrying in church? It's just to provoke and show disrespect for anything that has some integrity. I don't insist on all NTs being interested in my obsessions. Why the hell would I?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 05:57:40 AM »
Actually, there are other reasons for gays to want a church wedding, such as having God bless their marriage. To most Christians, that is--or used to be--the point with a church wedding. Are you saying that there are no gay Christians?

As for "accepting our western countries", bollocks! You can't have it both ways, Litigious; either you accept and endorse the freedoms we've been able to attain, or you stop wearing the shorts and the t-shirt during summertime, because they are in bad taste and bother me a lot! They show that you disrespect your elders. There ought to be some laws about what you can wear in public!

Sarcasm warning above. Can you guess which part(s)?

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 06:59:04 AM »
Actually, there are other reasons for gays to want a church wedding, such as having God bless their marriage. To most Christians, that is--or used to be--the point with a church wedding. Are you saying that there are no gay Christians?

there are plenty og ghey priests.
Misunderstood.

Eamonn

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 11:14:23 AM »
As long as i can wear a balaclava while at work in a bank and can talk to muslim women through the letterbox. We are required to respect local customs whilst over there so they should do the same here. Whilst in Rome, do as the Romanians do and all that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 11:31:34 AM »
As long as i can wear a balaclava while at work in a bank and can talk to muslim women through the letterbox. We are required to respect local customs whilst over there so they should do the same here. Whilst in Rome, do as the Romanians do and all that.

What are the local customs regarding clothing where you live?

- Albert Einstein

Eamonn

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

What are the local customs regarding clothing where you live?

Everyone just wears what they want except unlike muslims, i dont get to cover my face if i want a job or the law off my back.

Litigious

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »

There are gay people believing in God, yes, but according to the Bible gays should be burned alive, so either should the Bible not be interpreted litterary or have gays misunderstood something. How can God bless a gay "marriage" if his will is that gays should be burned alive? I find all religions stupid, especially Christianity, Judaism and Islam, but I find it even more stupid for people who these religions condemn demanding to be blessed by them. By the way, why don't they demand to be married in a synagogue or mosque? Why should just Christian churches show "tolerance" by giving up what their so called "holy books" say? Gays demanding to be married in a church is like me demanding to be member of honour in some stupid NT social club. I don't see the point.

Quote from: odeon

As for "accepting our western countries", bollocks! You can't have it both ways, Litigious; either you accept and endorse the freedoms we've been able to attain, or you stop wearing the shorts and the t-shirt during summertime, because they are in bad taste and bother me a lot! They show that you disrespect your elders. There ought to be some laws about what you can wear in public!

Sarcasm warning above. Can you guess which part(s)?

I can see the sarcasm, yes, but you still don't seem to understand that bad taste is one thing and dressing to suit a certain religion is another. In a so called free society intolerance must be banned, and to ban intolerance, you have to act a bit intolerant yourself, like forbidding female circumcision or dress codes invented to oppress women.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »
the bible states that they should burn like soddom and gomhorra, and the faghags be turned into a pillar of salt.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 12:36:46 PM »
Something like that, yes.  ;)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »
So the treatment of homosexuals should be according to the literal interpretation of the Sodom and Gomorrah tale, etc? Is that what you're saying?

What other parts of the Bible should be interpreted literally? The treatment of women? Slavery? Genocide? The killing of insubordinate children?

Freedom, indeed. ::)

- Albert Einstein