Educational

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
Downloaded and read: "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter" by Margareta Magnusson

Weeble, I think you'd like it. It was a good read, not sad, and somewhat motivational.

Now working on: "The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering the Secrets of the World’s Happiest Country"

....and exploring the Danish concept of "hygge" which I bet I'm fairly proficient at, but more coziness is always a good thing.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
Been reading a .PDF copy of a paper on the Appel reaction, (using a combination of carbon tetrachloride and triphenylphosphine to form a trichlorophenylphosphonium chloride, or similar bromide/iodide systems for formation of alkyl halides  direct from the alcohols, without needing either expensive and  usually restricted [not that the latter matters to me, I don't DO 'watch lists' or 'restricted'. I have my ways, and where there is a will, there is a way (or possibly a recently deceased relative:autism:), and I have places I can buy what I can't make from when I need such things) halogenating reagents, or systems like iodine or bromine with a catalytic amount of red phosphorus to form and in-situ, regenerate a phosphorus halide that then halogenates the alcohol.  Red P and white phosphorus are somewhat watched or restricted as much LE pigs can have them be, so I prefer alternatives where there is one that means I don't need to dip into the 2kg red phosphorus I have. Although I can always buy more of the stuff in large tubs full.)

(red P/iodine can be used with an alcohol to form the useful alkyl or aryl iodide alkylating agents, such as MeI [methyl iodide], or a similar bromide  system etc. for making alkyl or aryl bromides)

But the Appel reaction looks rather useful since it can be run under mild conditions, and avoids me having to use any of my phosphorus.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »
Downloaded and read: "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter" by Margareta Magnusson

Weeble, I think you'd like it. It was a good read, not sad, and somewhat motivational.

Now working on: "The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering the Secrets of the World’s Happiest Country"

....and exploring the Danish concept of "hygge" which I bet I'm fairly proficient at, but more coziness is always a good thing.

What's this Scandinavian thing going on with you? :orly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »

What's this Scandinavian thing going on with you? :orly:

Not sure.
Last year my reading was focused towards India and exploring Hindu customs.

Forever curious I guess.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
What do you call an apostate hindu?

A hindont.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
Rereading The Wheel of Time series 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
"Factfulness" by Hans Rosling.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:08 AM »

Some of the Chronicles Of Amber, immortal knight things from Roger Zelazny.  One of his final,  "Prince Of Chaos."

These are fun and so fast reading.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

Some of the Chronicles Of Amber, immortal knight things from Roger Zelazny.  One of his final,  "Prince Of Chaos."

I started reading that in the 70's (?), but the library only had the first book.  Early this year I found the complete collection at the thrift store.  I haven't started reading it because of reasons.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
I remember "Creatures of Light and Darkness". Not light reading at all.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »

I started reading that in the 70's (?), but the library only had the first book.  Early this year I found the complete collection at the thrift store.  I haven't started reading it because of reasons.

Not sure about what reasons but I feel regret for those reasons you have had to suffer.

Pretty sure I have all the Roger Zelazny, Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven and a few other fun "light reading" books.

I consider heavy shit as something that I have to research almost every other line such as Shakespeare. I also have studied Asimov's Guide To Shakespeare (OH and the atheist's take on the interpretation of the Bible is second to none! You should go through that when you have time!) and some of it just blows me away. I had no idea for instance that Shakespeare was such an uneducated man in his time. His writings bring this out, once a proper context is established.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
Reading a rather interesting preparation of anhydrous hydrogen bromide, that's going to mean  I can fuck off the setup I have up at the moment, thats proving a pain in the arse (essentially a pressure-equalized addition funnel leading to a two-neck flask, containing sodium bromide, the addition funnel containing 98% sulfuric acid, then because I couldn't find my damn gas taps and was feeling shitty because of a stomach upset, I jerry-rigged a pair of gas taps by sticking rubber tubing onto the vacuum takeoff of some fritted buchner funnels and by the miracle that is duct tape, 'stoppered' the top of the funnels, one connected to a wash bottle, then to a length of copper pipe, bent into a ==U== shape, and stuffed with fine copper dust, held at a red heat by means of a torch, the type that hooks up to a big gas bottle and can run for a good long time.

The copper is to cope with the fact that sulfuric acid is oxidizing, especially at high concentrations. An argon tank was hooked up to the HBr generating flask after the sulfuric was added, by means of the addition funnel, and some vacuum tubing, just to push the gases through the system. The oxidizing nature of H2SO4 means there was  a fair lot of bromine generated as well as the desired hydrogen bromide. I was preparing a solution of anhydrous HBr in anhydrous acetic acid, at a 30% concentration of HBr the GAA (glacial acetic acid) as solvent, the hot copper scrubs the bromine, whilst the HBr passes through into an erlenmeyer filled with the desired quantity of anhydrous GAA, the flask standing on a digital scale, in order to register the quantity of hydrogen bromide absorbed.)

Quite a pain in the backside, maintaining the heating, watching the connections to the pipe.

I need to find  those sodding gas taps.

This time, I'm going to prepare an azeotropic solution of hydrogen bromide in H2O, using in this case, phosphoric acid, since H3PO4 is not oxidizing and will liberate HBr without the bromine, eliminating the need for the red hot copper to scrub bromine, the Br2 was obvious with sulfuric acid, the entire gas generation flask turned orange-red, the rusty color of bromine, the liquid halogen which sits in between gaseous green chlorine, with its sharp, 'clinical' sort of smell, and dark, solid silvery iodine, which smells rather pleasant, much less sharp compared to chlorine.

Bromine on the other hand smells fucking vile. Sharp, penetrating and rather than the cleanly sort of odor, if unpleasant, of chlorine (I've never smelled fluorine gas, so can't comment on that one, and I don't want to either since it evolves lethal hydrofluoric acid, and is such a powerful oxidizing agent that a very dilute stream of fluorine gas will cause a brick to burst into intense, searing flaring flames), Br2 smells....sickening. Even through my gas mask, I need to replace the filters, a little got through, enough to detect the odor, and it smells...well 'bromos' in greek, is where the name comes from, the ancient greek word means 'stench' and I find it quite applicable, for the odor was rotten, stifling, like hydrogen sulfide (rotten eggs) only with sharp razorblades stuck in it, if that makes sense. Putrid.

The phosphoric acid version, involves making a conc. aqueous solution of hydrogen bromide, again using sodium bromide (I'll scrap the first version, and just add excess sulfuric acid and some peroxide to make damn sure its all oxidized to bromine, then distill off the Br2 and save it for future use, I had been meaning to prepare some elemental bromine anyway actually, already had a flask full of NaBr solution, although the method was to be passing chlorine gas through it, the more reactive halogen replacing the less reactive, and reacting as follows: 2NaBr+Cl2-->Br2+2NaCl)

Anyhow, it'll be phosphoric acid, aqueous  NaBr, to produce sodium phosphate and HBr, then treated with triphenylphosphine, forming triphenylphosphonium bromide, extracted into either chloroform or dichloromethane, the product dried over anhydrous magnesium or sodium sulfate then the solvent (3x150ml extractions) pooled and stripped in vacuo, collecting the DCM or chloroform for recycling, followed by washing with ethyl acetate to remove any residual triphenylphosphine. Reported yield is near quantitative (97-98%) of Ph3P(+ charge on the phosphorus atom)HBr

The result, triphenylphosphonium bromide is heat-sensitive, although yields are variable, 60-90% if simply pyrolyzed. Reportedly adding the Ph3PBr to xylene and bringing it up to reflux decomposes the triphenylphosphonium bromide to triphenylphosphine and hydrogen bromide, allowing recycling of the TPP, distillation off of the xylene for recycle, and anhydrous, highly pure hydrogen bromide gas essentially 'on tap'. I figure I'll prepare a full mole of triphenylphosphonium bromide tomorrow, so I've got HBr as good as in a pressurized gas tank, only no renting a tank, no corrosion of regulators, just storage in anhydrous conditions, and I can use it whenever I want HBr.

And, I see a side use for it. Halogenating alcohols, to give useful alkyl halides. I figure, the intermediate  of the Appel reaction, a reaction for chlorinating primary/secondary alcohols via SN2 nucleophilic substitution, there is a reaction between carbon tetrachloride and triphenylphosphine to form an intermediate  triphenylphosponium chloride. Thats just changing the halogen from  the intermediate reactive halogenating agent from Cl to Br. Probably even more useful actually, because bromine is a better  leaving group than chlorine, so the typical use, as essentially a chemical 'stepping stone' for sticking other things on an alcohol, it'll give better yields.

Will have to experiment some with a similar preparation of hydriodic acid via decomposition of phosphorus triiodide made by mixing red phosphorus with elemental iodine (yes, just like making THAT substance) with water, decomposing the PI3 to HI, then I'll filter off the regenerated red phosphorus and dry it, then stick it in a container for storage.

I have to say, I'm getting to really love phosphorus chemistry, its so versatile. Triphenylphosphine, red phosphorus, white phosphorus, that toxic, violent , garlic-smelling little glow-in-the-dark tiger of an element, phosphorus trichloride, pentachloride,  tribromide, pentabromide, PI3, P2I4...oh I am  going to be busy as hell for a while and filling my lab logbooks with interesting and useful preparations for ages, not to mention making reagents of great versatility that are difficult  and  expensive for a private individual to buy, I can buy the likes of PCl3, POCl3, PCl5, PBr3 etc. but even I need to be resourceful in doing so.

But, I do have a kilo of triphenylphosphine, and 4x0.5kg tubs of red phossy. Especially with the way I like to recycle, that'll last me a while.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:49 PM »
Still reading Neurotribes - a bit at a time.

Lestat, you asked what it was. It's basically a history of autism, giving examples of autistics long ago and the emergence of psychologists who diagnosed autism/Asperger's. That's what I've read so far. I am a little more than halfway through.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »
I'm so going to have to look up neurotribes to see if library genesis (aka libgen) has a  copy. (yeah, its pirating, I haven't got a money tree in the back garden  and I just think my near future costs have shot up...not sure which currency 'SEK' is, yet, but I doubt I want to know the exchange rate. I was thinking yesterday, during a synthesis that is kinda getting repurposed to produce bromine, I need some glassware intended for high-temperature operation that can take really harsh, nasty ass conditions at high temperatures for extended times, for things like that, stuff that involves a blowtorch, and things like mixtures of salt, sulfuric acid and oxidizing agents for producing chromyl chloride (at about 120 'C), or heating red phosphorus until it turns to the white allotrope, which is, strictly speaking doable in regular borosilicate glassware, but damn carefully, and I've had a failure doing just that, that catapulted burning willy pete across the garden like a string of chinese crackers, hissing, spitting and sending gouts of searing fire streaming meters down the lawn, burning the trajectories of the gobs of flaming phosphorus into the grass, which was marked for ages, first burnt to cinders, then fertilized by the phosphate-enriched soil and growing super lush compared to the rest of the lawn.

Need some fused quartz or vycor glass articles for that kind of thing, but I looked on ebay after reading up on it (vycor is a treated borosilicate glass that can take up to 1200 'C without cracking) but fuck me, even a few lengths of tubing are expensive, listed in hundreds of 'SEK'. Fucked if I want to know what it'll cost me to get a proper set of high-temp gear like that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »
SEK is Swedish Kronor.

- Albert Einstein