Educational

Author Topic: How do you drive in traffic without totally spazzing?  (Read 949 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: How do you drive in traffic without totally spazzing?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
I took drivers ed in high school.  Our first drive took us over the Huey P. Long Bridge. (From Wikipedia - The bridge is hated by many drivers in the New Orleans area due to the narrow 9-foot (2.7 m) wide lanes without shoulders. Also, as the East Bank approach meets the superstructure of the bridge, the two vehicular roadways "jog" or shift inwards towards the bridge centerline about 11⁄2 feet (0.46 m) since the through-truss portion of the superstructure is 3 feet (0.91 m) wider than the deck truss portion of the east approach.)  It's narrow, has train tracks down the middle and has a speed limit of 40mph.  I had to drive it quite often for audit sites on the other side of the Mississippi.

I had to drive as much as 90 miles one-way to some audit sites.  I actually put 88,000 miles on one car before I had to replace the brakes since I did so much highway driving.  Practice, practice, practice is the key.  You'll do fine, even though you'll be driving on the wrong side of the road.

Why will I be driving on the wrong side of the road?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
I took drivers ed in high school.  Our first drive took us over the Huey P. Long Bridge. (From Wikipedia - The bridge is hated by many drivers in the New Orleans area due to the narrow 9-foot (2.7 m) wide lanes without shoulders. Also, as the East Bank approach meets the superstructure of the bridge, the two vehicular roadways "jog" or shift inwards towards the bridge centerline about 11⁄2 feet (0.46 m) since the through-truss portion of the superstructure is 3 feet (0.91 m) wider than the deck truss portion of the east approach.)  It's narrow, has train tracks down the middle and has a speed limit of 40mph.  I had to drive it quite often for audit sites on the other side of the Mississippi.

I had to drive as much as 90 miles one-way to some audit sites.  I actually put 88,000 miles on one car before I had to replace the brakes since I did so much highway driving.  Practice, practice, practice is the key.  You'll do fine, even though you'll be driving on the wrong side of the road.

Why will I be driving on the wrong side of the road?  :orly:

Because you're Lady Weeble and will be driving on the American side of the road.  BTW, how are you going to manage with no legs/feet in your weebleness?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
When I first got my licence I started driving only to work and back home to get used to it. Then I started broadening my horizons so to speak.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 01:58:44 AM »
If it were me, at first I would map out routes to work that are either at less busy times of day or else are on secondary roads to avoid heavy traffic.  I do tend to be more tense and focused in heavy traffic and not want to carry on conversations that require a lot of concentration, however, I think you will get more comfortable driving in traffic over time.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 03:45:15 AM »
I've found that a sat nav unit helps. I'm not particularly good at finding my way, but it takes away all the stress. If I take the wrong turn, it will say so and help me find an alternative route.

My GPS also provides me with live traffic information, a truly awesome feature.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
Stay to the lesser traveled roads if possible as others have said, so knowing alternate routes is a very good thing.  Another big thing is knowing where your are going and what lane to be in on the busy roads,  nothing sucks more than being in the wrong lane and finding out at the last minute and nobody will let you in.  Pay close attention to your surroundings and what the other cars are doing because most drivers don't and that is what gets them in trouble.

With that said my first time really driving on the highway and in heavy traffic was when my brother made me drive home from Kennedy Airport through NYC to Connecticut on I95 before that I had only driven on a rural part of I75 in Florida. :GA:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 07:47:19 AM »
And watch out for too boring straight roads, with no variation at all on the sides. That, combined with a sky with repetitive clouds can be so mesmerising that it is not working out well either.

Wish I found the bravery to drive again too.

Loved some parts of it, the more long distance driving, but, village and city driving never made me happy.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
I used to be better at it.  My attention span has gone to shit over the last couple of years.  It's worse when there's someone else in the car because I'm worrying about them and not just the road.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I used to be better at it.  My attention span has gone to shit over the last couple of years.  It's worse when there's someone else in the car because I'm worrying about them and not just the road.

Same here.

Another thing...I cannot carry on any conversation and drive in traffic, or areas where I need to concentrate. I have been know to tell others to "shut up" frequently in these situations. :LOL:

Ex gets pissed because I absolutely will NOT answer the cell phone when driving. I'm lucky I can chew gum and walk some days, I really don't know what he expects. :autism:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »

Same here.

Another thing...I cannot carry on any conversation and drive in traffic, or areas where I need to concentrate. I have been know to tell others to "shut up" frequently in these situations. :LOL:

Ex gets pissed because I absolutely will NOT answer the cell phone when driving. I'm lucky I can chew gum and walk some days, I really don't know what he expects. :autism:

I already expect I will not be able to talk to anyone in heavy traffic.  Except to say  :finger:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
If you close your eyes the other traffic goes away.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 05:33:18 PM »
Is the focus an 'automatic'?  It may be easier for you if it is.  One less foot to worry about!

If you have a sat nav,  don't change the voice on it to Ozzy Ozborne  :facepalm2:

Just remember ...(it's the one in the middle)  erm...the brake that is :tard:

You can't spazz out any more than i did?  I drove to Scotland a week after i passed my test! went down motorway slip rd wrong way,  then reversed on a motorway :tard: :tard:

Drove to Amsterdam a month later...crazy bastards drive on the other side... i went round a roundabout wrong way,  almost went in canal and got several parking tickets :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

Whatever trouble you have just don't give up.  I was determined and pig headed, impetuous, obstinate and a complete spaz but hey i'm cool now 8)

Always obey the speed limit,  especially in residential areas or around a school.  There ain't nothing clever about squashing a kid,  and if you did have some kid run out in front of you
just remember a pedestrian who is hit by a car travelling at between 30 mph and 40 mph is  5 times more likely to be killed than if hit by a car travelling at below 30 mph.

Other types of roads require less attention and are probably more enjoyable and you will be able to put your foot down.  You will then discover 'driving music'  enjoy enjoy enjoy

Oh, and cbc,   sober up a bit first :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
If you close your eyes the other traffic goes away.

:lol1:   I actually watched a segment on TV many years ago about some
 religious nut who claimed he could drive with his eyes closed and "Saint Michael" would
 protect him.  He prayed  "St. Michael above, St. Michael below, St. Michael, St. Michael
 wherever I go."  Wonder if he lives in my city and drives the same route I'll be using.

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
 :thumbup: