Educational

Author Topic: Random possibly useful fact  (Read 27032 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Random possibly useful fact
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
@ Genesis - From her website:  "Sugar Bush Squirrel  is a real, live Eastern Gray Squirrel who is owned and photographed by  Ms. Kelly Foxton. Rescued, as a baby in her nest, from a tree which was being cut down, she is now living the 'good life' with Kelly in Boca Raton, Florida. A small, lime-green parrot, named Rio, is her big sister and constant companion."

http://www.sugarbushsquirrel.com/

Oh.... cute....
...that is so unspeakably creepy.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »
The Roman Emperor Claudius (the one that the Brits made a TV series about) had problems with flatulence. His physician told him that "If you don't let out the gas in your stomach not to embarass people, Caesar, your stomach will get hurt".

So Claudius actually made a law stipulating that it was alright to fart in public  :viking:

TheoK

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:40 AM »
A fact that is probably more useful: when I'm learning Latin I have no textbook or anything. I mostly use a homepage that teaches the really basic stuff. Thus, when I want to make long phrases, I must use Google Translate. But as you know, Google Translate is far from flawless, so how do I do?

Well, if there is any doubt (which it often is due to the very complex Latin grammar), I translate from Swedish, English and German to Latin and then back from Latin to these three languages. That way I probably reduce the numbers of errors a bit. I then often Google the translation to see if I can find it anywhere else, to further eliminate grammar mistakes.

TheoK

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
Ah, now I understand why East Prussia is translated but not Östergötland: East Prussia is merely a geographical name, while Östergötland is (supposedly) named after the tribe Geats. Austrians are also a kind of tribe, namely Eastern Bavarians.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
A fact that is probably more useful: when I'm learning Latin I have no textbook or anything. I mostly use a homepage that teaches the really basic stuff. Thus, when I want to make long phrases, I must use Google Translate. But as you know, Google Translate is far from flawless, so how do I do?

Well, if there is any doubt (which it often is due to the very complex Latin grammar), I translate from Swedish, English and German to Latin and then back from Latin to these three languages. That way I probably reduce the numbers of errors a bit. I then often Google the translation to see if I can find it anywhere else, to further eliminate grammar mistakes.

What's the URL of the web page you use?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
Nitrile gloves do nothing to stop methyl chloride
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
The ratio 75:15:10 for black powder isn't really optimal. With really good softwood charcoal such as poplar, willow etc, the optimum is:

potassium nitrate 74.63
charcoal 13.43
sulfur 11.94

This is pretty close to what both the British and French armies used before using smokeless powder:

potassium nitrate 75
charcoal 12.5
sulfur 12.5

The French used poplar, while the Brits used willow.

TheoK

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »
It seems like Latin, just like German, has many common forms for masculine and neuter.

For example;

German:

Masc.            Neut.
Nom. der Mann      das Haus
Acc. den Mann       das Haus
Dat. dem Manne    dem Hause
Gen. des Mannes   des Hauses

Latin:

Masc.                Neut.
Nom. accusativum   accusativum
Acc.  accusativum   accusativum
Dat.  accusativio      accusativio
Gen. accusativi        accusativi
Abl.  accusativio      accusativio
Voc. accusative        accusativum
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:13:35 AM by Lit »

TheoK

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
In ancient Greek time wasn't as important as aspect. Thus the Greeks didn't make a difference between present and imperfect. They were the same.

The verb for "be" was εἶναι - "einai". Present/imperfect of this verb in 1st person singular was εἰμί - "eimi", which is etymologically the same as English (I) am. The Proto-Indoeuropean word was *h₁ésmi (I am, remain, exist), which is also the origin of Latin esse, es, est, estis, German ist, and war, English is, was and were, from the verb *wesanan. It's also the origin of Swedish vara, var, varit.

TheoK

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Oh, this is interesting: Indo-European copula

I wish I could re-live my life, so that I could learn all this  :-\

(Now you barbarians will no doubt talk about fucking, since I mentioned copula  :M)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I have read, but not tried this.

To make smoked tuna:  Buy the tuna in oil.  Fold a paper coffee filter to fit the can.  Remove the lid from the can of tuna.  Place the coffee filter on the tuna, making sure it is touching the oil to absorb it.  Light the coffee filter.  When it has burned all the oil in the tuna can, remove the ashes of the coffee filter.  You now have smoked tuna.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »
The Roman Emperor Claudius (the one that the Brits made a TV series about) had problems with flatulence. His physician told him that "If you don't let out the gas in your stomach not to embarass people, Caesar, your stomach will get hurt".

So Claudius actually made a law stipulating that it was alright to fart in public  :viking:
:viking: I particularly like farting in a grocery store or book store and going over to the next aisle to see if I can hear a response from someone obliviously walking into it.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 04:05:06 AM »
Communication made easy. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 04:14:12 AM »
  If I'm ever in a store in California again, I shall be on my guard!  :sick:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."