Author Topic: 1 reason why i dropped out of school  (Read 4029 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: 1 reason why i dropped out of school
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 06:47:28 AM »
Oh, plenty think I should be doing much better with my life, too, cbc. Glad you found something that suits you!

I was lucky to get into a good company.  I hope you find something too.  :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks. For what I'm looking for, the communication problems shouldn't make much (if any) difference. Just really need to get started on those for any 'personal' life, though &, of course, it's not a good time to be looking. What do you do, cbc? (derailing?)
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
Thanks. For what I'm looking for, the communication problems shouldn't make much (if any) difference. Just really need to get started on those for any 'personal' life, though &, of course, it's not a good time to be looking. What do you do, cbc? (derailing?)

I work in the kitchen of a retirement home, where we prepare daily lunches and dinners
 for 90-100 residents, so I do *some* cooking, a lot of prep work, serving and cleaning!  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »
I dropped out of school in 7th grade. I got a GED in a few months when I was 17.

How did they let you drop out in seventh grade?  I thought you had to be at least 16.

I dropped out in seventh also. We moved and landed in the middle of a teacher's strike when I was 14, that lasted almost the entire school year, then my father ended up needing open heart surgery. We almost lost our home, I lied about my age and got a job as a waitress... something at which I was tremendously bad at.  ;)

I had prior problems requiring a home tutor, no one made an issue of it. I think sometimes they see it's in their best interest to enforce the age requirement, and sometimes there are other issues that make it in the best interest of the student that they don't. I think I was the later.

Anyways, finally walked in for my GED test one day when I was around 23, walked out a few hours later with one of the highest scores they had seen in a long time (or so they said ::), I think they just wanted me to enroll in their tech school $$$).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:47:15 AM by Icequeen »

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »

I work in the kitchen of a retirement home, where we prepare daily lunches and dinners
 for 90-100 residents, so I do *some* cooking, a lot of prep work, serving and cleaning!  :thumbup:
Quite a combo, needs doing & you seem to enjoy it, so... Great!
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

midlifeaspie

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
I dropped out of school in 7th grade. I got a GED in a few months when I was 17.

How did they let you drop out in seventh grade?  I thought you had to be at least 16.

Long story.
I would have dropped out too if I had only made it to 7th grade @ 16 years old.  :zoinks:

7th grade is hard.

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/northwst/standards/grade_07.pdf

midlifeaspie

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
School wasn't good for the majority of us, was it?

Happy minority here.  I loved school.  I would do it full-time as a career if they would let me.  Thought about getting my Masters in English Lit just so I could teach community college for a crappy wage as a way to stay in an educational environment. 

Ask me again in three years and I might hate it, but right now I am really looking forward to going back.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
i'm convinced public school is nothing more than a babysitter so parents can go to work. you certianly dont learn anything atleast i didnt
:skywarp:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »
School wasn't good for the majority of us, was it?

Happy minority here.  I loved school.  I would do it full-time as a career if they would let me.  Thought about getting my Masters in English Lit just so I could teach community college for a crappy wage as a way to stay in an educational environment. 

Ask me again in three years and I might hate it, but right now I am really looking forward to going back.

You know this is one of those things that i am actually pleased about hearing when I hear about. Like people who have a good relationship with their parents. It is a feeling of "that is the way shit SHOULD happen. Good on them". Dunno if that makes any sense.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

midlifeaspie

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
i'm convinced public school is nothing more than a babysitter so parents can go to work. you certianly dont learn anything atleast i didnt

Sounds like a definitive study to me

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

Long story.
I would have dropped out too if I had only made it to 7th grade @ 16 years old.  :zoinks:

7th grade is hard.

I never failed a grade, period. I completed 7th grade, I was around 13 years old.

Well, looks like another fail for the Pentagram Irrelevancy Group. ::)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
I fucking hated school I dropped out at the end of year 11. Went to work . Went back and blitzed teh uni entery test. I had done some night courses in college in the meantime and learned how to read and write.....well, better  :hahaha:
Did alright at uni but dropped out when i became a father. Went back again but dropped out when i realised i could not support myself and work part time. it was cool at university but my time for uni has passed me.

In Louisiana if you're 65 or older you can attend a state university tuition free, although you will pay for lab fees and the like.  So, maybe your time just hasn't come.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »

Long story.

7th grade is hard.

I never failed a grade, period. I completed 7th grade, I was around 13 years old.

There is a group of people who think Pentagram is irrelevant?   :thumbup:

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »

Long story.

7th grade is hard.

There is a group of people who think Pentagram is irrelevant?   :thumbup:

The P.I.G. group is a group of users on I2 who collectively try to convince the rest of the users of this site that whatever I post is irrelevant because of things that I have done in the past, or just because of their intolerance towards me, or their sexual desire to make me squeal.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
 :plus:

You do make me laugh sometimes :)