Author Topic: 1 reason why i dropped out of school  (Read 4053 times)

P7PSP

Re: 1 reason why i dropped out of school
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 02:35:12 AM »
I dropped out of school in 7th grade. I got a GED in a few months when I was 17.

How did they let you drop out in seventh grade?  I thought you had to be at least 16.

Long story.
I would have dropped out too if I had only made it to 7th grade @ 16 years old.  :zoinks:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 05:13:08 AM »
I fucking hated school I dropped out at the end of year 11. Went to work . Went back and blitzed teh uni entery test. I had done some night courses in college in the meantime and learned how to read and write.....well, better  :hahaha:
Did alright at uni but dropped out when i became a father. Went back again but dropped out when i realised i could not support myself and work part time. it was cool at university but my time for uni has passed me.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:36 AM »
Wow. Don't think uni's for me, now, either, though. hd (herp...)
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
 Looking back, I wish I had tried to learn a trade, might have suited me better.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »
School wasn't good for the majority of us, was it?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
School wasn't good for the majority of us, was it?

Nope
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 06:21:44 AM »
Although people who don't do well academically do manage to do well in 'real' life? I got on much better with the kids at college than before, for that part.....

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »
Although people who don't do well academically do manage to do well in 'real' life?  I got on much better with the kids at college than before, for that part.....

That's what I grew up believing ... that one could either be "book smart" or
 "street smart," and that the kids in my school who learned metalworking and office
 skills were less bright than I was.  Well, it turns out I am not so "book smart" after all.
 I was beginning to read by the time I started kindergarten, but I have a tiny attention
 span for written material and barely read the newspaper.  AND I am ditzy in many of
 the "real world" matters as well.  So I guess I am a well-rounded ditz.  :blonde:

People forget.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 06:29:14 AM »
Um, a balance can be good? I'm a weird mixture, myself!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »
Although people who don't do well academically do manage to do well in 'real' life?  I got on much better with the kids at college than before, for that part.....

"street smart," and that the kids in my school who learned metalworking and office
 skills were less bright than I was.  Well, it turns out I am not so "book smart" after all.
 I was beginning to read by the time I started kindergarten, but I have a tiny attention
 span for written material and barely read the newspaper.  AND I am ditzy in many of
 the "real world" matters as well.  So I guess I am a well-rounded ditz.  :blonde:

I think many of us fall into a grey area.
I am manually clumsy. Disinterested in technical matters but I have some things I am very good at. Unfortunately I am dyslexic and on the spectrum so finding niches in these grey areas has proved difficult. Who would have imagined that in sales I find a fit. It is not perfect but I work around what i am poor in and excel in what i am good in and with the right company and environment i do exceedingly well.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »

I am manually clumsy. Disinterested in technical matters but I have some things I am very good at. Unfortunately I am dyslexic and on the spectrum so finding niches in these grey areas has proved difficult. Who would have imagined that in sales I find a fit. It is not perfect but I work around what i am poor in and excel in what i am good in and with the right company and environment i do exceedingly well.

I am impressed that you do well in sales.  Anything customer-oriented that I've done in the
 past has gotten on my nerves eventually and I don't think I could work in sales.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 06:36:54 AM »
Hopefully, nobody thinks there is a 'perfect' environment? We'd be talking about finding the best, overall, fit, right? For work, now, I'd be looking for pretty basic admin, as it seems too late to bother with uni & all that & I'm not that ambitious, in such terms. What are you good at, cbc?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »
Um, a balance can be good? I'm a weird mixture, myself!

Yes, the trick is to figure out the components of your own weird mixture and use them
 to your advantage!  I am actually a solid and valuable employee in my job, and over the
 years I have learned how my own assets and deficits fit into the total picture at work.
 I'm still a massive underachiever in some people's eyes but the older I get, the less that
 bothers me.  I do what I can with what I have.  8)

People forget.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:06 AM »
Oh, plenty think I should be doing much better with my life, too, cbc. Glad you found something that suits you!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »

I am impressed that you do well in sales.  Anything customer-oriented that I've done in the
 past has gotten on my nerves eventually and I don't think I could work in sales.  :apondering:

It has a lot of very good things.

I am very rational, logical and analytical.
I am confident
I am driven and competitive.
I crave stablity
I work best on my own.

now there are a lot of shit with being an aspie that will fuck with being in a sales job but these traits allow me to work to my own speed amd pretty much my own style and pace. I work longer and harder than probably anyone else there and I get the results. My pitching is a slow affair compared to others and empathy not really a strong suit but the information and no pressure style gels with more peopel and my results justify my conversion rate. I do well enough :)