Educational

Author Topic: who needs a straight razor...  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: who needs a straight razor...
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
You could dual boot Windows XP with Windows 7, but you have to install XP first, methinks.

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
Why on earth you'd want that dual boot option is a mystery! W7 is so much better than XP...
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »
Why on earth you'd want that dual boot option is a mystery! W7 is so much better than XP...

Legacy gaming and software.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
I find Windows 7 to be better for old games than XP. Call me crazy. :dunno:

An example is this: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 won't run properly on XP, but runs fine on Windows 7. Even in 64bit.

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

An example is this: Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 won't run properly on XP, but runs fine on Windows 7. Even in 64bit.

Not as good as Windows 98, however. I'm still waiting for DOSBox to properly emulate a Windows 98 environment, because no one else would do it.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
From a swiss army type knife to computer gobbledegook.  Typical intensity
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:36 AM »
Yeah, via my sig! l  o  l
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »

Not as good as Windows 98, however. I'm still waiting for DOSBox to properly emulate a Windows 98 environment, because no one else would do it.

XP isn't as good as 98 either. This is due to XP onwards using the NT kernel and thus cutting ties with DOS for the most part. Windows ME, 98, 95 etc. worked so well because they were basically shells over a DOS environment.

It's very difficult to get certain old Windows games to run on any NT-based OS due to this lack of DOS integration. DOSBox won't work too well because it's aimed at DOS games and was never built for emulating Windows.

The only really good options for running old Windows games properly is Virtualbox/VMware.

Offline Phallacy

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »

XP isn't as good as 98 either. This is due to XP onwards using the NT kernel and thus cutting ties with DOS for the most part. Windows ME, 98, 95 etc. worked so well because they were basically shells over a DOS environment.

It's very difficult to get certain old Windows games to run on any NT-based OS due to this lack of DOS integration. DOSBox won't work too well because it's aimed at DOS games and was never built for emulating Windows.

The only really good options for running old Windows games properly is Virtualbox/VMware.

The only viable solution for properly running the majority of PC games made from 1995-2000 is to run them on an actual Windows 98 machine from the era that has SoundBlaster and a 3dfx card. Period.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
FUCKIN A

DAMN STRAIGHT

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »

The only viable solution for properly running the majority of PC games made from 1995-2000 is to run them on an actual Windows 98 machine from the era that has SoundBlaster and a 3dfx card. Period.

But you implied using your own machine.