Educational

Author Topic: Throw it at me  (Read 14835 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Throw it at me
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:34:41 AM »
Hey Gareth why did you and Amy lie about reasons for those mass-banning those years ago?
I don't recall ever lieing about the reason for a ban, but then if i'm a liar there is of course no point in listening to me is there?

It depends entirely, doesn't it Gareth? Sometimes justifications, right or wrong, paint a picture from the poster, that the person interviewing them can not paint. Sometimes it is good to see how someone manipulates truth. Sometimes we are amazed at honesty from a place of dark deceit.

But hey you "don't recall"? Let me help you with at least one instance and we can work from there.
You supported the lie that Amy sprouted publicly that Rossco was organising a group of people to attack Amy and yourself. That was of course Bullshit, but Amy endorsed it publicly. Rossco always went straight to the source of the problem, Amy, at every instance without organising anything with any one. Also without involving himself in things like the gagging avatar thing or whatever. This is whilst you were doing your best to distance yourself from any direct involvement.

When Rossco was banned this was the reason given, that he was the ringleader to these actions. She stated she had proof given by Pm but could not publish it. This too was bullshit as there was no proof, because there was no truth behind the allegation. It was just a sneaky manipulative lie that she could tell, whilst pretending to hide behind the good form of allowing the non-existent "whistleblower" anonimity

There was no whistleblower. No Pm. Just a very angry lady, to whom you are married, wanting to force her will and make a somewhat plausible smear and ban on Rossco. She was prepared to lie to get it.

Why did you go on a banning rampage?
People were acting like idiots, a lot came back anyway once the drama had settled down.

Oh bullshit a lot came back. Most that did have seen what the place is and left again, because it is not the place it was in the past. It  has become the place they were fighting for it not to degenerate into. A whiny self-absorbed den of emos. (Yes there are a few very noticable exceptions. But exceptions are exceptions)

People were not acting like idiots. Your wife Amy was, and you either know this or you too are acting like an idiot.
She was busy being a mum and and spending most of the little time she spent on AFF, in the AFF Chat.
You were busy with other stuff like Second Life, and that competitor to Second Life, you were wanting to make and such.
AFF was left to its own resources with a couple of mods with limited powers, and so while you and Amy were off not being a part of the environment and culture, it started to build and evolve. We self monitored and moderated and took charge of the forum. We scared off trolls. We quelled disagreements. We took on activism. We were a thriving little community.

Then in came your wife, saying "OK time to take back AFF from you lot. You need to do things my way." We basically told her to stay out of things as she was not a part of the culture nor had any idea of who was who, and what or what had or had not happened. Amy, decided to force her will and most of the site bucked. She made stupid pronouncements, changed posts, misrepresentaed, lied, banned members and then suddenly 40 members left and you locked down the forum and edited or deleted thread after thread to save the forum from being seen as for what it was, and what happened. A convenient rewrite.

I call this a big lie.

Why did you condone Amy's stupidity and unnecessary behaviour?
Define "Amy's past stupidity" and then we can talk about it.

I think I did this above rather well, but all you need to do is look at how she behaves on there at any time she flounces in. It is similar to what I wrote above. She is a walking definition of the word 'Liability"

Why have you let the AFF of old which was full of a close-knit activist forum turn into what it is now?
Truthfully, disillusionment with the idea of being more than just another forum, ASAN have taken the role I wanted for AFF and so long as someone is doing the work that needs to be done i'm not too concerned.

You want to know my opinion? I think when 40 of the forums active members left, the forum was left with very few active and non-whiny helpless emos. I say what had been built up over so long had gone. I think that it would take years with a hard effort to get a culture or an environment needed to get to where you were in the past. I think you probably appreciate that were you to, Amy and perhaps yourself, would only fuck it up like you did then.

Of the activists that you had you were basically left with two. Skyblue and KenG.
Of the other active posters, Guess Who, Alison, Marcia, Windy....who else? 40 others which generated a lot of posts and interaction simply disappeared all within a week. Not really one of your better moments, huh?

Why did you erase and rewrite much of its history? Why did you rely on lies to sell the post-banning AFF? Do you honestly believe that a dozen bannings and 40-50 members leaving your site and an effort to then rewrite much of your own history, and locking down the place, is believable on the concept of "You just got rid of a few trolls"?
See above, I suspect you're not looking for an answer to this one but rather (even if unconsciously) trying to make a point of some sort.

Again not at all. I am wanting to see how you answer this. I am curious after the passage of time how you will come at such a premise. It may make me laugh, agree, clarify, or question your sanity...might do all of these at once.

Why, in doing this, are you prepared to treat your existing membership with contempt? Why do you allow Amy to flounce in like she does from time to time after no real contact with any part of AFF but the chat, and fuck everything up (like the time of mass-bannings)? Why do you both (well ok mainly Amy) accuse the members of lying when they tell her uncomfortable truths? Why do you think all of the above conduct makes your site a site worthy of consideration to anyone wanting to be involved in Autism?
I'm not going to answer when I stopped beating my wife.

This i know is an old chestnut you like to bring out but it is really a poor anology.
Why? Apart from the fact that I do not suspect that you beat your wife (You look pretty weedy and I am sure she could take you), it is not a good one in terms of the exaggerated proportion of the premise being linked to what I said. But more importantly, your wife, not you is really the one i am looking at. Sure your actions to not react against her stupidity, and support her idiocy, does not hold you in great light, but the instigator is your wife. Your anology has you as the perpetrator. You may want to rethink when the anology works and when it doesn't.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:08:51 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
Popcorn time.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
How large is your penis both in length and circumference
Wait, is he supposed to add, or is he supposed to be a freak where they're both the same measurement?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »
How large is your penis both in length and circumference

Should i REALLY get the tape measure out?

And the camera , this is I^2 after all.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Gwen

• Part of the Chaos
  • She/Her pronouns please
    • AFF
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Hey Gareth why did you and Amy lie about reasons for those mass-banning those years ago?
I don't recall ever lieing about the reason for a ban, but then if i'm a liar there is of course no point in listening to me is there?

It depends entirely, doesn't it Gareth? Sometimes justifications, right or wrong, paint a picture from the poster, that the person interviewing them can not paint. Sometimes it is good to see how someone manipulates truth. Sometimes we are amazed at honesty from a place of dark deceit.

But hey you "don't recall"? Let me help you with at least one instance and we can work from there.
You supported the lie that Amy sprouted publicly that Rossco was organising a group of people to attack Amy and yourself. That was of course Bullshit, but Amy endorsed it publicly. Rossco always went straight to the source of the problem, Amy, at every instance without organising anything with any one. Also without involving himself in things like the gagging avatar thing or whatever. This is whilst you were doing your best to distance yourself from any direct involvement.

When Rossco was banned this was the reason given, that he was the ringleader to these actions. She stated she had proof given by Pm but could not publish it. This too was bullshit as there was no proof, because there was no truth behind the allegation. It was just a sneaky manipulative lie that she could tell, whilst pretending to hide behind the good form of allowing the non-existent "whistleblower" anonimity

There was no whistleblower. No Pm. Just a very angry lady, to whom you are married, wanting to force her will and make a somewhat plausible smear and ban on Rossco. She was prepared to lie to get it.

Whatever I say here in response I know you will not believe or respect unless it's "you are completely 100% right", with that disclaimer out of the way however:
Rossco was indeed encouraging people to cause trouble or protest in some way Amy's actions and given how much both of us have put into getting this community (AFF) off the ground (even if you think it's one we apparently don't fit into anymore - it wouldn't exist without us) the attacks were just too much.

I admit my very obvious bias as we're talking about my wife here, but I still stand by Amy's decisions at that time based on the attacks we were receiving. Take that as you like.

Why did you go on a banning rampage?
People were acting like idiots, a lot came back anyway once the drama had settled down.

Oh bullshit a lot came back. Most that did have seen what the place is and left again, because it is not the place it was in the past. It  has become the place they were fighting for it not to degenerate into. A whiny self-absorbed den of emos. (Yes there are a few very noticable exceptions. But exceptions are exceptions)

People were not acting like idiots. Your wife Amy was, and you either know this or you too are acting like an idiot.
She was busy being a mum and and spending most of the little time she spent on AFF, in the AFF Chat.
You were busy with other stuff like Second Life, and that competitor to Second Life, you were wanting to make and such.
AFF was left to its own resources with a couple of mods with limited powers, and so while you and Amy were off not being a part of the environment and culture, it started to build and evolve. We self monitored and moderated and took charge of the forum. We scared off trolls. We quelled disagreements. We took on activism. We were a thriving little community.
Some people didn't come back, a lot did. Me and Amy were busy (with what doesn't matter - the time when AFF was our only big purpose in life is passed for better or worse), we came back and Amy was made to feel a little like maria and altair returning to masyaf (yeah, i'm still addicted to Assassins Creed - long story short, they leave the assassin order after leaving it in good hands, they return to find it a shadow of its former self with no training happening and themselves very unwelcome, they get chased back out again only to return later after killing the new leader).

Then in came your wife, saying "OK time to take back AFF from you lot. You need to do things my way." We basically told her to stay out of things as she was not a part of the culture nor had any idea of who was who, and what or what had or had not happened. Amy, decided to force her will and most of the site bucked. She made stupid pronouncements, changed posts, misrepresentaed, lied, banned members and then suddenly 40 members left and you locked down the forum and edited or deleted thread after thread to save the forum from being seen as for what it was, and what happened. A convenient rewrite.
It was perhaps a rewrite - we got rid of a lot of posts which caused nothing but conflict.
Think about the greater purpose and goals of AFF - they're hopeless if we dwell on old ingroup conflicts and drama - getting rid of those old posts allowed things to move on a bit.

Food for thought:
Right now AFF is in the middle of another extended period free of the presence of myself and Amy (I only just made a few posts there in the past few days after a long period of absence). If AFF is currently off-track, it is not due to my own or Amy's bad leadership leading it down the wrong path - at present we're leading it nowhere and trusting the community to lead itself.

Why did you condone Amy's stupidity and unnecessary behaviour?
Define "Amy's past stupidity" and then we can talk about it.

I think I did this above rather well, but all you need to do is look at how she behaves on there at any time she flounces in. It is similar to what I wrote above. She is a walking definition of the word 'Liability"
I think my responses above are also good

Why have you let the AFF of old which was full of a close-knit activist forum turn into what it is now?
Truthfully, disillusionment with the idea of being more than just another forum, ASAN have taken the role I wanted for AFF and so long as someone is doing the work that needs to be done i'm not too concerned.

You want to know my opinion? I think when 40 of the forums active members left, the forum was left with very few active and non-whiny helpless emos. I say what had been built up over so long had gone. I think that it would take years with a hard effort to get a culture or an environment needed to get to where you were in the past. I think you probably appreciate that were you to, Amy and perhaps yourself, would only fuck it up like you did then.
Not sarcastic - who should take the mantle and is able to get things back on track? I have been giving serious thought to passing everything over to another highly trusted person, trouble is I just can't find one who's both trustworthy AND competent. Plenty of trustworthy people, plenty of competent people - few with both traits sadly.

Alex Plank is technically competent to run the site and if that was the only relevant factor i'd change the root password on the server and hand it over - but I think i'd be quite rightly lynched for doing so.

Of the activists that you had you were basically left with two. Skyblue and KenG.
Of the other active posters, Guess Who, Alison, Marcia, Windy....who else? 40 others which generated a lot of posts and interaction simply disappeared all within a week. Not really one of your better moments, huh?
Indeed

Why did you erase and rewrite much of its history? Why did you rely on lies to sell the post-banning AFF? Do you honestly believe that a dozen bannings and 40-50 members leaving your site and an effort to then rewrite much of your own history, and locking down the place, is believable on the concept of "You just got rid of a few trolls"?
See above, I suspect you're not looking for an answer to this one but rather (even if unconsciously) trying to make a point of some sort.

Again not at all. I am wanting to see how you answer this. I am curious after the passage of time how you will come at such a premise. It may make me laugh, agree, clarify, or question your sanity...might do all of these at once.

Why, in doing this, are you prepared to treat your existing membership with contempt? Why do you allow Amy to flounce in like she does from time to time after no real contact with any part of AFF but the chat, and fuck everything up (like the time of mass-bannings)? Why do you both (well ok mainly Amy) accuse the members of lying when they tell her uncomfortable truths? Why do you think all of the above conduct makes your site a site worthy of consideration to anyone wanting to be involved in Autism?
I'm not going to answer when I stopped beating my wife.

This i know is an old chestnut you like to bring out but it is really a poor anology.
Why? Apart from the fact that I do not suspect that you beat your wife (You look pretty weedy and I am sure she could take you), it is not a good one in terms of the exaggerated proportion of the premise being linked to what I said. But more importantly, your wife, not you is really the one i am looking at. Sure your actions to not react against her stupidity, and support her idiocy, does not hold you in great light, but the instigator is your wife. Your anology has you as the perpetrator. You may want to rethink when the anology works and when it doesn't.

The "when did you stop beating your wife" thing is a classic analogy for a leading question - it's not meant to refer to literal beatings.
If the person answers with a time, they admit they did beat their wife. If the person answers they're still doing it, they ALSO admit they're beating their wife currently. If I tell you why i'm allegedly prepared to treat people with contempt, I admit I treat them with contempt.

The same could go for Amy - when did she stop beating her wife? (ooh, kinky - might have to ask her actually)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »
Welcome, etc.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
Do you really think you are famous?

Why should any of us give any more of a shit about your joining than we would of anyone else joining?

Have you ever been diagnosed with NPD?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
kenm, isn't he that guy always posting the anti-women threads on wp? lol

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
The real question is.

whe nare you going to post a picture of yourself naked and humping your compter monitor?
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:32:09 AM »

KenM was that guy yeah, but KenG is that Isreali guy who does a lot of activism on many fronts. Admirable work :)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »

Whatever I say here in response I know you will not believe or respect unless it's "you are completely 100% right", with that disclaimer out of the way however:
Rossco was indeed encouraging people to cause trouble or protest in some way Amy's actions and given how much both of us have put into getting this community (AFF) off the ground (even if you think it's one we apparently don't fit into anymore - it wouldn't exist without us) the attacks were just too much.

I admit my very obvious bias as we're talking about my wife here, but I still stand by Amy's decisions at that time based on the attacks we were receiving. Take that as you like.

OK this is 'how i like'. I am/was Rossco and i know i did not organise any attacks and while people whilst i was well aware of different tactics people were doing to let their displeasure known I am not and never was one for subtlety. I went straight to Amy (who i determined as the crux of the problem. I did not seek to encourage anyone.)
The PM bullshit..was just that. It was a bullshit excuse because Amy desired a reason other than "he is disagreeing with what I am saying publicly".
Rather than perhaps look at her conduct she projected her disagreements on others and needed to get rid of all people who were shouting her down. I narturally was the least subtle and most vocal. So she decided to be sneaky and force her will with a neat excuse. Only problem is it was a lie.
You are justifying her methods as a means to an end. Getting rid of someone who was attacking her. But let's not pretend there was any truth in what she publicaly announced. We all know it wasn't and never will be.

Some people didn't come back, a lot did. Me and Amy were busy (with what doesn't matter - the time when AFF was our only big purpose in life is passed for better or worse), we came back and Amy was made to feel a little like maria and altair returning to masyaf (yeah, i'm still addicted to Assassins Creed - long story short, they leave the assassin order after leaving it in good hands, they return to find it a shadow of its former self with no training happening and themselves very unwelcome, they get chased back out again only to return later after killing the new leader).

Amy came back and the forum and the culture she left had changed on her. She was unaware of who was who and what. She decided to wrest any control from the forum community and set up things in her own style. We all took offence at that. We let her know. She took offence at that and started f,laming us and we straight back at her. Most started with things like the gagged avatarstuff to show communual displeasure. I didn't i kept at her. Exposing what i saw as poor behaviour on her part.

If she had of said. "Hey guys, long time away. What is happening here nowdays..." and sught to fit in and become a part of the forum rather than force her way in, things would have not eventuated with 40 active members leaving in disgust. But you know this right?

It was perhaps a rewrite - we got rid of a lot of posts which caused nothing but conflict.
Think about the greater purpose and goals of AFF - they're hopeless if we dwell on old ingroup conflicts and drama - getting rid of those old posts allowed things to move on a bit.

Food for thought:
Right now AFF is in the middle of another extended period free of the presence of myself and Amy (I only just made a few posts there in the past few days after a long period of absence). If AFF is currently off-track, it is not due to my own or Amy's bad leadership leading it down the wrong path - at present we're leading it nowhere and trusting the community to lead itself.

Too little too late Gareth. You had a fine forum full of good strong, active members prepared to be and do the things you wanted. Be a support and activist and espouse strong determined values within the online Autistic community. You and Amy shat on them and chased them off. rather than let them go.

Now you have a forum with few of such people and are bereft of such culture. You can do what you like - foster it, ignore it or whatever. Your ship has sailed.

I think my responses above are also good

I think you are in a hard position Gareth. Amy is not good for that forum. Maybe in activist things. Maybe when it comes to intimidating newbies or something. But she basically is a liability. You were always more level-headed and technically savvy and more involved.
However she is both your wife and another Admin/Owner.
So...do i treat you as an unfortunate who has to bear his wife's silliness and supporrt her because she is his wife and take pity on you?
Or should i say'No, he is an owner and admin too and if he cared about the site than he ought to have had the guts to do the right thing when it was needed and preserve the site from her silliness at risk of looking like not totally backing her? If he doesn't then he is not an unfortunate but an Admin who did not choose to act when he should have?" i go the latter

Not sarcastic - who should take the mantle and is able to get things back on track? I have been giving serious thought to passing everything over to another highly trusted person, trouble is I just can't find one who's both trustworthy AND competent. Plenty of trustworthy people, plenty of competent people - few with both traits sadly.

Alex Plank is technically competent to run the site and if that was the only relevant factor i'd change the root password on the server and hand it over - but I think i'd be quite rightly lynched for doing so.

Who? Three or four years ago i could have given you a slew of names. YOu would have ben starved for choice. Now, nada.
Maybe Superboyian?
Maybe send them as a redirect here. We would increase membership here.
They would not be hurtling down the Autism Speaks road to glory.

Indeed

Oh hell, it is not like there is anything that can be done about it now in hindsight.

The "when did you stop beating your wife" thing is a classic analogy for a leading question - it's not meant to refer to literal beatings.
If the person answers with a time, they admit they did beat their wife. If the person answers they're still doing it, they ALSO admit they're beating their wife currently. If I tell you why i'm allegedly prepared to treat people with contempt, I admit I treat them with contempt.

The same could go for Amy - when did she stop beating her wife? (ooh, kinky - might have to ask her actually)

Past is past and i think we are all adult enough to see what was done in the past was done in the past. Did you treat the people with contempt? I would say probably. Did your wife? Yes. Did she treat me with contempt when I dropped back into the site for a bit? The answer is yes again? Did I treat her with contempt? Absolutely.

Do you or she treat people like this now? No idea and i will not second guess that.

Again I think that with a powder keg like this, honesty works nbest. Kind of saying "Yes we did and we read it wrong completely and fucked up our forum and it was upsetting all around" may be nice. Admitting that the membership were banned unnecessarily might be another good call.

Where does that leave me? Probably with a "Meh..thought so"

Or deny it and/or justify it and I get mileage out of this. Either works for me.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Gwen

• Part of the Chaos
    • AFF
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
Do you really think you are famous?
Within the community i'd say i'm at least "well known"

Why should any of us give any more of a shit about your joining than we would of anyone else joining?
I'm hardly asking for a celebration and a red carpet

Have you ever been diagnosed with NPD?
Nothing wrong with a bit of ego ;)
Seriously though, I haven't and don't match the criteria, but I have been described as arrogant, so you decide.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
I2, the scrapyard of the autistic community. Why is it that autie drama is always redirected here?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gwen

• Part of the Chaos
    • AFF
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

OK this is 'how i like'. I am/was Rossco and i know i did not organise any attacks and while people whilst i was well aware of different tactics people were doing to let their displeasure known I am not and never was one for subtlety. I went straight to Amy (who i determined as the crux of the problem. I did not seek to encourage anyone.)
If you are rossco then you know rossco's old password at AFF or can access the associated email account. How would you like to verify yourself?
The reason i'm asking is because I need consent before I manually query the database and paste the PMs here. If you think they don't exist then you have nothing to fear and your consent should be forthcoming, right?

I'll respond to the rest of your post after this

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

KenM was that guy yeah, but KenG is that Isreali guy who does a lot of activism on many fronts. Admirable work :)

ah Ok, thanks!