Author Topic: Say questions at me.  (Read 3362 times)

Offline MutieTom

• Frequent Poster
Re: Say questions at me.
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
Do you ever miss the WP mod days?  Do you think the online AS world has changed a lot since then?

I do miss it actually, though I'm not the same person I was back then I might hate it if I did it now :P

I think the the online autistic community has grown more fragmented and diverse over the years, which isn't a bad thing, I think it's helped to mellow out the collective voice. Back then there was basically WP and AFF and they were, to put it poetically, almost like Charles Xavier and Magneto from X-Men. WP wanted to work with the NTs and what not, AFF was (from my perspective) more about establishing our own identity in spite of the NTs. They both had their extremist viewpoints within their communities (which in hindsight is kind of hilarious).

But now, the collective voice seems to more saying "Auties, NTs, pfft. Let's just get on with living and maybe educate and advocate if we can be bothered".

Of course that's coloured through my perspective then and my perspective now, and may not match reality :lol:

I think it was definitely of its time, though I miss it too, but as you say we're different people now.

I think the era of 2004-05 was a huge era for aspies, For me at least, it was the time when broad-band internet became common in the UK and lots more people started using forums for the first time, it was a time of a lot of autism awareness here such as well publicised books and tv shows, and it was a time all the big forums were set up.  So you had all these people who had discovered AS for the first time, discovered the internet for the first time, and were really excited about making communities and finding each other and making friends.

I think there will never be another big surge of AS activity like that again, but I guess that level of momenteum and excitement couldn't last forever, so all we can do now is keep ticking along and stay around the people we get on with.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 01:36:19 AM »
^I remember getting diagnosed in 2005 and then later that year joining WP, so I agree with you about the 2004-05 era stuff.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:26 AM »
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline Kaelyrhn

• The Tesseract Exception of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
I often post on my phone. Expect typos & errors.

Offline Kaelyrhn

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
Ask me other questions! I'm bored and stuff...

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »
Which do you prefer, pens or pencils? And what colour?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Kaelyrhn

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
I prefer Black Gel-Ink Pen or a Black Ink Fountain Pen.

Pencils are useful every now and then...

Offline Kaelyrhn

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »
so as some of you may be aware recently I had a short hospital stay due to experiencing a mixed bipolar episode. This is where I experience both depressive and manic features, simultaneously. It's exceedingly unpleasant. And exceptionally dangerous, where the depressive elements can lead to suicidal thoughts and plans and the manic elements can give me the energy and impulsivity to carry it out....

Anyways I'm slowly getting better I think, but thought you might want to know. And if not well I doubt you'd be following this thread, and it keeps my sob story from cluttering other threads unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:51:48 PM by renaeden »

Offline cynara

• Nekkid Plaything of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
Oh Hon, big hugs to you.
I really hope you can keep on an even keel for a while and get yourself fully better xxx
Ty tus gul nameur re drylsi.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'