Educational

Author Topic: Recommend a good coffee maker, please.  (Read 530 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Recommend a good coffee maker, please.
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »
The coffee drinkers thread seems to be taking several tangents, so fuck it.

I have used a Bunn (model ? ... can't find any # ... preheats the water ... makes twelve cups ...  almost instantly ) for about nine years. The one on the football tee is my second one. It's a goner ... it's outa here! It has become incontinent, like it's predecessor. It makes a fucking mess, because of a water leak, internally, unfixable. Our water is to blame, but I've stopped using city water for any purpose, except to pee in, so anyway ...

The Bunns serve fairly well, sorta, I guess. It makes mediocre coffee and it's terribly inefficient. But BY GOD, it's as fast as they come. I could have two pots of OK coffee in about five minutes. I no longer need that speed, though ... half assed retired and all that. What I WANT is an exceptional cup of coffee! Each time.

I pulled the leaking Bunn out last week and substituted my old Westinghouse "Mr. Coffee" look alike. Hey, it makes better coffee, anyway. The problem is that it smoked and spit fire at me just now. I need to buy a coffee maker for two adults to use ... real soon. My wife will only tolerate my grandfather's glass percolator for a short time. I only use it when I want hair to grow on my tongue, but, it's all I've got right now.

So what kind of coffee maker do you recommend? I'd like to avoid spending three hundred dollars on a fucking coffee maker, so skip the rich, socially elite, yuppie products, please. I just want a good ... NO! ... an Exceptional cup of coffee, without spending a small fortune.

HELP! What should I buy?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:47:03 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Cryono

• Part of the Chaos

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
Re: Recommend a good coffee maker, please.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
A good, large metal thermos, a funnel, and a plastic filter. Put the funnel into the thermos, the filter into the funnel, and coffee into the filter, then pour water into it while it's boiling hot. ;)

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Braun-KF400-WH-Aromaster-10-Cup-Coffeemaker/dp/B00005IX9T/sr=1-4/qid=1162941930/ref=sr_1_4/102-0714553-2928142?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen

This was my first coffe maker......I've had several more expensive ones after it died......and I replaced all them with the same one I had in the beginning.
Cheap and it makes great coffee.
Had a Mr. Coffee and a Cusinart....neither made coffee as smooth and rich as the Braun, it uses #4 cone filter btw.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »
Black and Decker Smart Brew. It makes twleve cups pretty good. Even makes pretty good tea too.

http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/dripprofiles/p/smartbrew.htm
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:12:45 AM »
starbucks makes a good coffee, but they are pricey.
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:17:38 AM »
dammit i want starbucks right now

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 03:30:06 AM »
try the five shot pepperment latte.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
The simplest and best coffee brewer

No paper filters, no metal except for the small spring holding the plastic filter disc, easiest possible cleaning. Very popular in Scandinavia back in the '60s and 70's.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
The simplest and best coffee brewer

No paper filters, no metal except for the small spring holding the plastic filter disc, easiest possible cleaning. Very popular in Scandinavia back in the '60s and 70's.

i'd probably just turn it into a bong.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »
I've actually made explosives in the lower part of one. Extraordinary good glass.  8)

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 09:36:22 AM »
My reccomendation is to find a coffe pot that's a thermal type that uses a cone type filter instead of a basket type. Cone types always make better tasting coffee. ;D

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 10:47:28 AM »
I havw a little Farberware coffee pot that has a cone type filter that makes two cups of coffee in the microwave oven.  It makes good coffee and it's good for me because I am the only one who drinks coffee in the house.  I also have a much larger Mr. Coffee, but I almost never use it.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 11:59:49 AM »
My reccomendation is to find a coffe pot that's a thermal type that uses a cone type filter instead of a basket type. Cone types always make better tasting coffee. ;D

I have to completely agree based on my experiences.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I have been using the same semi-lame type for too long and blind shopping is not my strong suite. It helps a lot to have a basic plan.

:^)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.