Author Topic: religious freedom Vs ...everyone else's freedom  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
religious freedom Vs ...everyone else's freedom
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:42 AM »
I've been reading about that christian slag who's been fired from Macy's for refusing to let a trans woman use the women's changing rooms.

Apparently it is Macy's policy to let trans people use whichever one they identify as, but this woman thinks it violates her religious freedom, as apparently transgendered people don't exist lol

So what do you guys think? Should she have been fired? Should the store's policy be different? etc etc

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: religious freedom Vs ...everyone else's freedom
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Glad she got fired. She needs to learn a very hard lesson from this, and if she doesn't, well, tough luck for her.

Religious freedom should only be accepted to a certain extent. If your religious freedom enforces you to disrespect the freedom of others to be who they are and what gender they identify with, then I don't think anyone should respect such an extent of freedom.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »
:agreed:

Apparently she quoted some shite from Deutronomy (spelling? lol) to back up her beliefs. As if the Bible overrules everything...  Also isn't Deutronomy in the old testament? the OT contains shitloads of fucking insane laws. I doubt she's follewed every other rule laid out in it

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
:agreed:

Apparently she quoted some shite from Deutronomy (spelling? lol) to back up her beliefs. As if the Bible overrules everything...  Also isn't Deutronomy in the old testament? the OT contains shitloads of fucking insane laws. I doubt she's follewed every other rule laid out in it

She can't even if she wanted to. The Bible is full of contradictions you can't know which laws to follow exactly especially that the omniscient YAHWEH wasn't aware that such civilizations as they exist in today's world would emerge.

We don't punish people with the death penalty for being homosexuals or picking sticks on the Sabbath. On the contrary, we consider these acts barbaric by our modern standards.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
Exactly. It's a fucking pick'n'mix religion imo. Picking and choosing what suits you out of a whole load of bullshit.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »
I don't get how it is called religious freedom? It is more like restriction. Trans people don't exist? She contradicted herself by not allowing the woman in the changerooms then.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »
What would her plan be, to get everyone to pull down their panties so she could check out their equipment?

I'm not really surprised that it happened at Macy's though.  It was in Macy's in New York City that I was prevented from going into the handicapped fitting room with my daughter by an overly zealous employee because neither of us were in a wheelchair.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
Your right to religious freedom stops where it impedes on the freedom of others.

TAKE IT AWAY, TIM.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:48:46 AM by Pikajedi3 »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »
It was in Macy's in New York City that I was prevented from going into the handicapped fitting room with my daughter by an overly zealous employee because neither of us were in a wheelchair.

Wow. Fucked up. When I was at the hospital they looked into getting me a radar key (dunno if they have them in the US, basically they're just keys so u can use disabled toilets), and I did worry about stuff like that - people stopping me going in just because I'm not in a wheelchair or something

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
I don't get how it is called religious freedom? It is more like restriction. Trans people don't exist? She contradicted herself by not allowing the woman in the changerooms then.

lol Yeah. I guess what she means be "religious freedom" is freedom for one person to curtail other people's freedoms

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
"Religious freedom" shouldn't give you the entitlement to be an asshole.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
She also went up to her and said "you're a man" lol

Hardly a polite way for an employee to address a customer. deserves to be sacked just for being fucking rude

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Ok I just want to ask , is the transperson in question a MTF?
I don't want to say the wrong gender and be utterly insulting  :laugh:

But IMO I think the transperson in question should actually sue the ex-employee for her words.

As Pika said , religious freedom stops when it impedes on the rights of others , which is exactly why I think the WBC should be locked away for attempting to stir up hatred against gays.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
But IMO I think the transperson in question should actually sue the ex-employee for her words.

You can't do that here and it's a damn good thing you can't. That would establish a horrible legal precedent that you could sue people for butthurt.  >:(

I'd go on a rant Squiddy, on the importance of freedom of speech, and how that fredom includes the freedom to be insulted, but Christopher Hitchens makes the point better than anyone else here.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
Scrap I agree with u about freedom of speech, but in certain positions you've got to put on an act - a polite act - whether u like it or not. and being an employee in a shop is one of those times. Shopworkers SHOULD get in trouble for being rude to a customer like that

oh and christopher hitchens is aweosme  :2thumbsup:

Ok I just want to ask , is the transperson in question a MTF?
I don't want to say the wrong gender and be utterly insulting  :laugh:

As Pika said , religious freedom stops when it impedes on the rights of others , which is exactly why I think the WBC should be locked away for attempting to stir up hatred against gays.

Yeah she was MTF. The worker actually said herself that she'd "been watching" her as soon as she came in, because she "knew" it was a man shopping for women's clothes.

Now that strikes me as fucking odd tbh. Even if there was a legitimate reason to stop a transwoman going in a women's fitting room (surely there isn't, especially as people undress behind curtains ANYWAY), then there's still no reason to be suspicious of them just for shopping there in the first place. Even if it was a man (biological male, not trans) shopping there, so what? Men can shop in women's stores ffs. Just the fact that she admited she was keeping her eye on "him" before "he" had even done anything makes it pretty clear shejust an intolerant bitch