Author Topic: The Importance of Being Jack  (Read 3067 times)

Osensitive1

The Importance of Being Jack
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
After many years of paying no attention to internet, outside of occasional business and research, I suddenly started a blog which resulted in befriending an autistic woman. During the course of our friendship, she had given me some information which had a link to wp. The experience was so overwhelming, I turned in my vacation time, shut myself in my room, and did nothing for two weeks but read page after page of the general discussion forum of that site. I was consumed. My family was concerned. When I came out of my hole, I told my son about this wonderful planet. He was already a moderator on a discussion forum of his own interest and couldn't have cared less about wp. So I joined. Claire333, the darling wife and mother in me. She's also my poetry in motion, albeit so very cat in the hat.

The first time I tried to leave wrongplanet, was from a moment of realization, in reading a thread about the undiagnosed. Important points were made concerning the possible damage in misrepresenting the spectrum, in a place so many come to seek knowledge. Damage, no matter how well intentioned is still damaged, so I agreed. However, my need to be there didn't leave, so I just stopped talking about myself, stopped talking about autism, made myself comfy in the depths of PPR, and otherwise lurked.

Then one day my son mentioned an interest in joining wp; my signal to kindly step aside. I don't hide anything I do on the internet and he knew of Claire, so I told him I had recently gotten interested in a new site and would leave wp to him. Claire dropped the threes, moved to Zomg, and soon after became Clear. After being there a while, I had a bad day where someone wrote the details of their fantasy of me being raped and killed. It was very out of the blue. As to my reaction, I'm no doubt the sensitive type. I said my goodbyes and I split, but my need to be there didn't leave, so I came here.

Claire didn't come here because she's chicken shit, and the idea of a new start was kind of nice anyway. It was great being able to become friendly with new people here on such fresh ground, and to find those I've seen before, thought the flower of a different name to smell as sweet. The rest of that chapter is in the pages here, as in walks Jack.

Something was said a few days ago, which made me realize, that along the way, I've done a terrible thing. The comment was about hosts and dealing with complaints of abuse, and so I remembered when I once had a complaint. At the time I made this complaint, I immediately regretted it, because it was petty and vindictive and not the person I want to be. I also had to consider my complaint was about someone who had never previously given me grief. On consideration, I realized it was very possible I unknowingly offended them or provoked; and besides, they had so much more right to be there than me. Really, how could I suck any more that that, but I do. The recent comment which made me remember all of this, also shed the light on how the ripple of my actions expanded in ways I never before considered. I am single handily responsible for the demise of Zomg Aspies, and I did it with a very brief and stupid complaint. Having the knowledge I've destroyed a place intended for autistics to congregate is absolutely devastating to me. I can't even express how upset I am right now, but I think it's important I leave the autistic community, regardless of my own selfish need to be here which certainly wont leave.

I'm not going to just dump all this here and step out. I also think it's important I say anything else others might think needs to be said. If anyone has any questions about what I've written here or anything about me personally in general, please ask, and I'll be happy to answer. I'll give until my account is deleted. Though please don't try to minimize it or ask me to stay; It wont change the way I fell about what I've done.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: The Importance of Being Jack
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »

I don't understand what is going on.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
Nor do I. All I see is that we're going to lose another good person?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Wow. I don't know what to say.

Firstly. I will be gutted to see you go. I've grown to really like you. We're losing so many of our best posters.

Secondly. You have a son. I had no idea. Cool. I always wondered about the real Jack, but felt awkward asking. Had no idea you had kids.

Thirdly. OK you made a mistake and it had unintended consequences. That's a bad feeling, but it doesn't mean that you have any less right to be here than anyone else.

Binty

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
I remember you.  We need Adam to get here.  I highly, highly, highly doubt that you are responsible for the demise of zOMG.  Really.  Please stay.

:(

Edit: Was the person who made you feel bad buttcoffee?  Don't worry, he says/said shit about everyone :laugh:  I remember them having discussions about my sex life etc.  'Twas amusing to read.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:01:12 PM by Binty »

Osensitive1

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:02:16 PM »
I spoke to Adam first, and he was very sweet about it, though I didn't expect anything else from someone so lovely. It's true.

Binty

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
zOMG stopped being a functioning forum long before you turned up.  It was pretty much dead by the end of 2009/start of 2010.  All it had was Soleiyu, buttcoffee, Pea and some other twat talking bollocks.  zOMG disappearing wasn't much of a loss to anybody, including Adam.  Sure, there was a load of history attached to that place but from my own conversations with Adam, which I hope he won't mind me saying, he had moved on and realised that he doesn't need things to remember Sophie by, that she will be in his head.

Apart from all that, I can't think of any other reason why anyone would be sad about zOMG being gone.

It's not worth leaving for that reason, really it isn't. 

:hug:

Osensitive1

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
zOMG stopped being a functioning forum long before you turned up.  It was pretty much dead by the end of 2009/start of 2010.  All it had was Soleiyu, buttcoffee, Pea and some other twat talking bollocks.  zOMG disappearing wasn't much of a loss to anybody, including Adam.  Sure, there was a load of history attached to that place but from my own conversations with Adam, which I hope he won't mind me saying, he had moved on and realised that he doesn't need things to remember Sophie by, that she will be in his head.

Apart from all that, I can't think of any other reason why anyone would be sad about zOMG being gone.

Those may be the only people you remember, but there were more and I know for certain that site was important to some of them. And no, I like buttcoffee. He's very clever and I suspect he may have even recognized me here.

I always wondered about the real Jack,
Feel free to ask anything you want to know. At the moment, I'm an open book.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
If someone wrote out details of their fantasy of you being raped and murdered and you made a complaint about it, I think that if this caused a problem it would have been caused by the person doing that to you, not by you for complaining about it.

Also, I think that you absolutely have as much of a right to be here as anyone else does and I and many others would miss you if you left.

If it was Sol who said that about you, he said something similar about my daughter here, I think primarily to get a reaction from me and hoping I would ban him for it.  When he wasn't banned for that, he threatened the site.

Osensitive1

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
This isn't about my right to be here, it's about my being detrimental.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
This isn't about my right to be here, it's about my being detrimental.

I think that your presence here is beneficial, not detrimental.

Binty

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
Sure there were other people but that forum was a graveyard.  Full of Scrap's spam, if I remember correctly.

Again, it's not worth leaving I2 over what happened with zOMG.  It's history.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »

Those may be the only people you remember, but there were more and I know for certain that site was important to some of them. And no, I like buttcoffee. He's very clever and I suspect he may have even recognized me here.

I always wondered about the real Jack,
Feel free to ask anything you want to know. At the moment, I'm an open book.

How many kids do you have? What age are you? Are you married? I'll totally understand you not answering this one, but who's your son on WP?

I hope this doesn't seem rude, but I had an idea of you in my head and you've surprised me :laugh:

Binty

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
Also, just look at me!  I've been in your shoes before except with me it's not that I'm undiagnosed, I'm just an NT :P

I've trolled this place in the past and I'm still here.  It was a shit thing to do (though highly amusing at the time) but it's in the past now.  People shouldn't be judged by their neurology but by who they are as a whole.  You're a lovely person and one who's opinion I usually like to read.  Just because you're undiagnosed or a parent of an Aspie, doesn't mean you don't have the right to post here because of one thing you did once in the past. 

Osensitive1

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
[quote author=Butterflies

How many kids do you have? What age are you? Are you married? I'll totally understand you not answering this one, but who's your son on WP?

I hope this doesn't seem rude, but I had an idea of you in my head and you've surprised me :laugh:

Two children, recently turned 19 and 20. I'm 40 and will be celebrating my 21st anniversary in a few days.