Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 118320 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6480 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
Kindle has the complete works of Lovecraft (1343 pages) for free today, Jan 24.  Regularly 24.99.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6481 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
 :plus:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6482 on: January 24, 2018, 06:09:00 PM »
And....another package from china arrived for me again today (first so-far at any rate, not to say there might not be more to come later, although I don't know. I am expecting a short-path head for vacuum-distillations of the short-path variety though sooner or later, sooner hopefully) though.

This time, a trio of glass powder-funnels. Which are exactly what they sound like. Fairly shallow, but wide, mouthed small glass funnels intended to be inserted into a stopper to be put into a socket joint in a piece of glassware such as a flask and intended for funneling powders into the vessel in question)

I had expected the stems to be a little shorter perhaps, and perhaps wider, but there is no problem with them. Just the kind of tool I didn't have and did want. (Plastic funnels are no use, unless made out of teflon of course, since there are so many things one might pour into a funnel that would tear plastics to pieces and leave you with a blob of goo where a funnel used to be, potentially even contaminating one's work in the process, so these glass ones are just what I needed)

The only question is that the only piece of equipment which might arrive today or will there be more goodies for lil' ol' me yet to arrive today.

I do so like it when the postmen and/or couriers arrive at my doorstep. I cannot claim as I know they feel the same way about bringing things to me, but I at least am glad they do :D If I was a postal  driver/courier driver of any description I might well very much NOT like that part of my rounds, at least not until any and all packages addressed to me had been taken off the van and deposited well away from it, especially if marked in chinese or some form of cyrillic writing or other, a postman-version of me, I'd be in an extra hurry to get my post OUT of my van, but as things are I'm definitely glad to see them arrive and to allow them any sigh of relief at having some so; I won't begrudge them that when afterall they have brought me little presents which would burst into flames on contact with anything other than a rigorougly dry inert gas-purged handling chamber to be able to open some of those containers:LOL:

I'd not like to be my postman lol. Actually I'd not like to be a postman at all, the early-morning hours no matter how rotten, filthy and wet and icy cold the weather might get, or how foul the people post is to be delivered to might be. Come to think of it being a postal worker must suck ARSE. Has to be the vilest, most rancid, awful job anybody has ever had to do on the face of the earth.

Although I am grateful for their work, thats true enough, I just would NOT want to be one. But especially mine, what with the combination of having to deliver flammables, pyrophoric flammables, acids, strong bases along with large crates containing very delicate, and at times expensive electronics, or delicate and pricy glass items more than they deliver anything else, ever, at least if its for me. I've had to sign for and take in those things, and some of those packages are bloody heavy, I think the rotavap had to be the worst, for both of us, a bit over a grand in electronics, in a big, heavy metal tower, a bit shorter than the tower section of a desktop computer, loaded with expensive electronics and very delicately balanced weight-wise, for rotating a special kind of flask, itself balanced for the purpose in a vacuum distillation, along with a heating bath that connects up to the main tower part that spins up the still flask in the heating bath so it covers the inside in a thin layer that evaporates faster than a regular vacuum-distillation, along with its flasks and a matched rotavap condenser, a lot taller, and fatter than a regular coil condenser, which means its correspondingly much, much more delicate, and heavy too. (and theres meant to be another heavy piece coming, a weighted base with threaded holes tapped into it, which serves to mount a rod which is used to attach the clamps that hold the condenser)

Entire thing, minus the base I still need delivered, (and an allen key, but I can let that go if I have to, there are plenty of them available in the workshop (or what would otherwise be a garden shed, and makes a totem nod towards being a garden shed with a hedge trimmer, a garden fork, a rake and a couple of spades in one corner, so as not to take up space needed by the lathe or the drill press)..I reckon I can forgive them forgetting an allen key. plus crate, took it out of me carrying it inside, as the wooden crate itself, empty isn't light either)

Lol I bet in 20 years time, if its the same postie, I'll be able to recognize him due to a hunch-back and walking with a kind of waddling gait, throwing his legs out either side, with his arms permanently hanging down like a gorilla, only with a bad case of the shakes (at least, he'd have  the shakes if he speaks mandarin...and possibly come along his route in one of those NBC suits one  sees biologist-types and military-types wearing in movies featuring horrible alien flesheating-virus-plagues and a gas mask underneath just for good measure)

QV-don't have a kindle, I keep all my ebooks on computer hard drives and flash drives etc., read them on the computer, but NICE. I love H.P.Lovecraft (no not that way, get your royal mind outa the gutter missy :P)

Already got hardcopy books of if not all then certainly most of his stuff. Whats your favourite of his? I reckon mine might be 'the dream-quest of unknown Kadath'. Or its certainly one of them. Hm...and whats the betting Lovecraft himself was on the autistic spectrum? very, very shy, retiring, awkward around women wasn't he? and of course, very creative indeed.

He certainly fits the profile for HFA, don't you think?

And didn't he actually discard a lot of his unpublished work whilst writing, because he felt it wasn't perfect enough? that'd seem to me like a potential spectrum trait. Lovecraft, IMO has HFA written all over him (in a suitably infernal script, penned by a dead hand in an evil language....hm...yeah thats it...maybe the Autism Speaks of his day did a campaign against him! he sure wrote enough about THEM......)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6483 on: January 24, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »
Hard to believe I read Lovecraft in the late 1960's.  Somehow lost the books in some move or another.  I'm looking forward to reading them on my Kindle app on the computer.  Whenever I get my computer set up. 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6484 on: January 24, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »
Why not give the PR a taste too when you get them, make a copy for her, once you read Lovecraft you never look back (especially when there might be a shoggoth oozing its amoeboid way across the ceiling behind you, and REALLY hungry after thawing out in the arctic for the first time in millenia:D)

She'll be hooked :)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6485 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Nope.  That would scare the pants off her.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6486 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »
coffee

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6487 on: January 25, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Hard to believe I read Lovecraft in the late 1960's.  Somehow lost the books in some move or another.  I'm looking forward to reading them on my Kindle app on the computer.  Whenever I get my computer set up.

Me too, now. It's been a long time.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6488 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:56 AM »
Finally returned from a random long weekend camping trip to Mt Kosciuszko.
It's good to be home! I mean, the scenery was great but the 20km hike to the summit and back was torture.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6489 on: January 28, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
How long did that take?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6490 on: January 29, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
Lovecraft is meant to scare the piss out of people. If he did warm and fwuffy it wouln't be Lovecraft. It'd have been a drunkenly-penned halfarsed literary answer to a coathanger-abortion on his part.

It'd be shit if he had written crap in that sort of way. It'd be him vomiting into a garbage can.
Also not all his stuff is THAT terrifying.

As for the something good..got paid, found out I had almost a grand in the bank and did about £200-something in food shopping (albeit am somewhat annoyed I forgot to get the cigars I was after, but oh well those I can get tomorrow). Got lots of treats, including a pair of beef rump-steaks custom cut to a nice big fat thick juicy size, along with 3 packs of shiitake mushrooms to fry and serve with them, along with a mixed pack of king oyster fungus, shiimeiji and enokitake that I'll fry up with my special great-flavoured, flavour enhancing for meat too (similar to MSG does so) and part-time suitcase nuke small enough to fit into a pocket-sized spice bottle, stuff IS a bit fiery I'll admit, and especially when just starting to cook the meat after its been marinaded in various hot sauces and dusted with my fly agaric mushroom-based specialiy blend that its a good idea to keep out of the kitchen if you aren't the cook, and that cooks should wear a mask and surgical gloves.

Bought some little key lime cheesecake pies, creme brulees in little glass pots (same goes for the key lime pies. The glass dishes will make for useful crystallization/recrytallization dishes once I've eaten the contents), cartons of pear apple and lychee juice, and of grapefruit juice (the latter will help keep my liver CYP-P450-3A4 or/and P450-2D6 enzymes suppressed, along with a few of my meds that will do so, and some over the counter supplies aimed at the same, a big selection of milkshakes, some regular toffee and some cookie-dough milk and some really thick 'frijj' milkshakes in cookiedough, irish coffee and fudge brownie milkshakes,  got a few of those since those were on sale for 50p a bottle), pizzas, asian pairs, pomegranates, an ice melon, couple of bunches of bananas, a big (2.5kg I think) tub of protein shake powder, to help compensate for my fairly low-protein diet given I often don't feel hunger until its really straining at the leash, or realize I've not eaten. Stocking up as I hadn't eaten more than a couple of bowls of cereal in a week, maybe two weeks, plenty slices of roast beef and many, many other tasty things....two 12-lpack boxes of mixed varieties of krispy kreme donuts, jellybeans-the posho many flavor kinds and lots of other good stuff.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6491 on: January 30, 2018, 03:01:28 AM »
Coffee happened.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #6492 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:26 AM »
Me too.
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6493 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Donuts happened :D

Lots and lots and lots of krispy-kreme donuts of loads of different kinds. Bought 24 yesterday, a really big selection, and most of them are all gone now.

Got a pair of steaks in the fridge, good quality beef rump steaks, had them cut to personal preference rather than take the display pieces at the butchers, so they are nice and thick and juicy looking. Cost about £20something for the two. Plus bought three big tubs of shiitake mushrooms to fry and serve with them, as well as some shiimeiji, some enokitake and king oyster mushroom (might be Pleurotus eryngii, not totally sure. Was tempted almost to get some vase chanterelle but the Cantharellus varieties on offer at the supermarket were below my standards really and  when I buy or pick mushrooms I go for the best. I've been picking since i was age 4, and lets just say starting from that age, and getting as old an old fart as I am now, I've had quite some time to become a picky little bugger when it comes to selecting the prime, fresh and juicy specimens of the most delectable little treats to be hunted from the wilds, and when it comes to buying them in a shop, I am REALLY fussy about them being good enough. Bits falling off, or scrappy looking Cantharellus tubaeformis sold as true chanterelles...that is just not good enough. They didn't even look like good quality C.tubaeformis.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #6494 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
I went and looked at some property for sale.