Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 118794 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6465 on: January 17, 2018, 12:32:28 AM »
Had a 'random encounter' in fallout-tactics, similar to the random encounters of the previous games. This one, meeting a farmer with his (rather emaciated-looking) brahmin herd (two-headed post-nuclear-fallout mutated cows) and found him to be a trader. Stole a toolbox, some leather armor, some .45 caliber pistol ammunition, two different kinds of combat drugs (buffout, basically super-advanced combat-oriented fast acting, although highly addictive steroids, and some methamphetamine-impregnated chewing gum, the former increasing, temporarily, strength and resistance to being harmed, the latter jacking up reaction timing, perception etc. and for a short time, making one much, much faster and more agile etc., again highly addictive, so I save either for specific tasks requiring a strength, agility etc. level over and above what the squad member best suited already to the task is capable of normally, or for those really NASTY fight moments where its something that can mean the difference between which party walks away from the fight, and which party ends up as corpses to get looted and left for the crows to peck the eyeballs from as a juicy, protein-rich nutritious snack, some stimpacks, and a super stimpack as well, and then traded him the squad's crap-weight items that were looted from lower end enemies, raiders etc. like spears and such, that were dead weight and only carried to be sold, for cash and shotgun shells.

Best bit though was managing to swipe the tool-kit, they aren't common afaik, as well as some quite rare .50 cal ammunition (not itself uncommon, but the big boxed up ammo pack this guy had on him isn't just any .50 cal rounds. Its a belt of depleted uranium penetrator heavy duty armor-piercing rounds, the kind of thing you want loaded when you want to wipe out an entire squad of armored enemies with a minigun burst, or to sneak up close to a guy wearing powered armor and give him a gut-full of flaming uranium (uranium metal actually has somewhat pyrophoric tendencies, not in bulk as pieces of it, but fine powder can ignite IIRC, and with depleted uranium rounds, the way they work is, aside from uranium being dense and heavy and hard as hell, it ignites from the friction upon penetrating armor, and unlike the similarly used dense metal, tungsten, which flattens out and mushrooms, depleted uranium doesn't, its self-sharpening, the friction when it punches through armor plate both setting the round ablaze, as a kind of incendiary, and sharpening the tip continuously as it passes through the armor to a sharp point. Nasty sort of ammo, but damned effective, its got the rather unpleasant habit, of when used in tank-killer calibers, big artillery shells etc. of igniting and bouncing around the inside of the tank, cooking the crew alive as well as tearing them to pieces).

In FOT, I Don't have a weapon this early on that can fire those, but they are really uncommon ammo, and this guy was a hapless doofus in regards of how easy it was to pinch his stuff. I could even have swiped stuff and sold it back to him then swiped it again :P) So what use has a farmer of two headed mutant cattle (might have two heads but they are still cattle with stupid cattle brains in each head) for depleted uranium autocannon/minigun ammunition? none. My squad on the other hand is to be going into the nastiest sorts of places on the face of the post-nuclear-holocaust planet and in some of the places in such places were they will be least welcomed, by the most vicious, most fucked up and least pleased to see you in any other context than their next meal inhabitants.

In other words PRECISELY the sort of places that a squad of heavily armored brotherhood of steel squaddies are going to want to let fly with heavy caliber armor-piercing rounds forged in hell:autism:

If a 12-foot-tall mutated jackson's chameleon, once a little color changing lizard, now a desert-dwelling gigantic monster with claws as long as a man's forearm, fast, and stealth artistes as much as they are now hard-case sons of lizard-bitches, generally known ingame as 'deathclaws' is going to start traveling in packs, and capable of ripping a man wearing heavy armor in half with its brute strength....yup, thats just the sort of occasion that you're going to want a grunt with an autocannon and powered exoskeleton combat armor, packing a chainblade or turbo-charged electroshock baton as a sidearm for if it ever manages to get in close and you survive long enough to draw said weapon.....because if you do then jamming it into the eyes of a deathclaw and turning its brain to mulch with a few hundred thousand volts or a combat-built handheld chainsaw blade with extra-large, hardened steel cutting teeth is probably the only change you are going to get, unless you have a really good sniper or two capable of making eyeball shots to blind a deathclaw, of not ending up ripped in half like a phonebook.

And thats dealing with one of them. Not a pack of them. Thats one reason (deathclaw pack) that I've been saving the antitank mines I managed to liberate during an early mission, after disarming the boobytraps in question. As these things, I've never come up against one in fallout-tactics, but in fallout I and II I have and the things are bloody monsters, capable of shrugging off minigun bursts, ignoring shotgun blasts to the face, even sometimes flamethrowers, plasma rifle shots or non-critical hits from a gauss pistol or rifle. and carrying on to rip you in half as if you were toilet paper, armor or not. Mean bastards in the first two games, and the trend seems to be just getting meaner by the sequel.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6466 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
The dentist cancelled The PR's appointment today.  Most everything is covered in ice.  Right now it's 20 degrees on our street.  The good news is that we have a Weather Underground station on our block.  (I know because our street is only one block long.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6467 on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
Her Ladyship is not in pain, is she? I really hope not. Dental pain especially is among the worst of all. That would sadden my heart deeply to think of her in pain, as her smile, does the opposite.

Thank you, walkie. And I find your response in your point of it being unfair to me NOT to point out my faults or failings, for a true friend, they ought to do so.

And Walkie-I was not aware, as you say quite to the extent of it, although I was strongly under the impression you were highly susceptible to cold or excess heat. I was, I hope, not being selfish, in myself taking comfort in the fact that you had found comfort yourself. I did not intend to 'steal' your comfyness. Only to celebrate the fact that one I consider a friend, and one I trust (rare, very rare, you are someone I do trust to quite the extent I do. What that extent is, you know, walkie, so I'll not say it here, and not that I would anyway, certainly not to defend myself against anything whatsoever, or for that matter either to make a point or illustrate a concept, would I mention the name of the one you know that relates to, walkie, to others in general or worse, en masse)

I just wanted you to know I was happy for your happiness, that your  finally being warm and comfortable warmed ME up, because the friend who was being harmed by the cold, was now, once again, warm. For you are a being of value to me. I need no other reason than that I care about your wellbeing, I care also for your joy or lack of it, I care for your health, mental or physical or both.

Please, nobody think that my thought processes here, were of selfish nature. Rather, they were and indeed are still, empathic in nature. I am more so  than most aspies, and quite unusually so for a Kanner's/classic autie.

And to answer the question would I say the same thing to a male friend? yes and no. No, in that there would be a difference in the sense of fr.ex gender-specific pronouns or adverbs, but yes in the sense that if I care for a person I care for them. It does not mean I want to fuck them, it does not mean I fancy them, it does not mean I am attracted to them. Nor does it (in the case of females) automatically either, rule out finding a female attractive. (however, with the exception of a certain few individuals, a very, very, very rare handful, and I mean literally a handfull, if that, of all the people I know, on and off I2, in most cases if asked I would turn most people down. Almost always. For that, I have my reasons, and will not be making them plain to others. Again for that, I have my reasons. Well, reason, singular. Walkie knows what it is, actually, as does one other, and only one other, here, and one other living person, perhaps two, with a third who unwelcomly, knows what I know in that specific context, and who was later found to be a vile, traitorous, borderline bitch from hell and general noxious creature in every possible manner.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6468 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
nope, just a six month checkup.  finally above freezing.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #6469 on: January 17, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
nope, just a six month checkup.  finally above freezing.

Isn't this season weird?

You've probably had more snow down there than we have in Central Oregon.   :dunno:

We only had snow once, less than an inch just before Xmas that melted away on a couple of days.

Last year we had 4+ feet.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6470 on: January 17, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
Fuck, that is a relief QV. I'd hate to think the PR were to have to suffer dental pain (well any pain but especially dental...it really is the worst, I've had run-ins with it before, and here they give you nothing besides a local for the pain even when your in a dentist's chair, nitrous oxide IF you can swing it, I have to get stuff done under a general if its dental work, but even for the worst causes of the worst dental pain, they CAN give you pain relief, the are allowed to but they won't. And I've had to go in, and the previous night, even intravenous morphine can somehow poorly affect dental pain, and even at doses which would be considered massive for my tolerance level.)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6471 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
Speaking of dental work, I'm booked in for a scale and clean next week. Not looking forward to it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6472 on: January 22, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
Will be glad for you when thats over ren.

As for me, just got a crate in the mail, by way of  china, packed chock full of lab glassware:)

Got, so far (theres a fair load more on the way):v glass-fritted Buchner funnels (350ml filter funnel, frit pore size 3; three of those) 1x500ml again a type 3 frit, plus a 150ml/no.3 frit. All of the type that have ground glass joints and integral vacuum hose-barb vac-takeoff built in, rather than the other kind of Buchner funnel, of which I have two are not nearly so good, as they use rubber adapters which stack inside each other like russian dolls. And the use of filter paper is unavoidable, the likes of celite would just start to fall through the base, which has many small-medium sized holes a coupleof mm across drilled into them, and no inbuilt vacuum takeoff.

The vacuum port is built into the filter flask itself, as a sidearm, I've only got the one of those types of erlenmeyer conical, flat-bottom flask but on the other hand its a big one; IIRC around 3-4 liters, well, a big one when we're talking modest size ranges, 5-10 liters, rather than the real big buggers that can hold 30-50 liters etc; although as of yet I haven't got any glass like that.

Also bought some more small erlenmeyers, the kind with a ground glass joint in the neck, and without a vacuum barb. I much prefer these, since there is a huge problem with filter paper being essential-strong corrosives burn it to ashes. That doesn't happen with a glass frit, used to support celite or silica gel powder, which is easily made using sulfuric acid and potassium or sodium silicate solution, washing out the sodium or potassium sulfate with hydrochloric acid, leaving behind a precipitate of silica gel as, at first, a gelatinous paste, which is washed several times with conc. HCl. then repeatedly allowed to settle, and washed free of hydrochloric acid until testing neutral with PH paper.

Got a 2 liter, 2x 1 liter and a small one, just 500ml.

(Erlenmeyer flasks are the conical shaped kind with a single neck opening, often used in conjunction with a buchner funnel for either gravity or much faster and more efficiently, with a buchner connected to a vacuum pump, for vacuum filtration, either method pulls the liquid fraction through a filter, allowing one to separate a solid suspended in a liquid into the solid and liquid portions)

Also the sellers threw in a little handheld trigger-action vacuum pump plus vacuum gauge along with quite a few keck clips and several lengths of rubber tubing coiled up inside the buchners.

And....just this very moment gotten another package. I don't know what it is yet, and certainly wasna'e expecting owt at this time of..almost evening. Lab equipment or chemicals I should imagine, but I'm not sure what, just opening it now.

Ahhh....nice. Very nice, very, very nice. 4 bottles of diisopropylaminoethanol. All that needs is halogenation of the alcoholic -OH followed by amination, and due to the steric hindrance provided by the two isopropyl groups along with the highly non-nucleophilic nature of the tertiary amine intended product, there should not be overalkylation to give a quarternary ammonium, and instead, give diisopropylethylamine, otherwise known as Hunig's base, a quite strong, and very usefully, very, very non-nucleophilic organic amine base.

Plus a bottle of..something else. Although now I need some barium carbonate or bicarbonate. Although thats handy enough, as I already have my eyes on some barium metal. I know of a place that will sell me some reagent grade stuff, although it has a surface oxide layer, the metal stored under argon. I can just react it with first water to produce barium hydroxide and subsequently gas it with one of my CO2 tanks to produce barium carbonate.

I could use either the lead or calcium salts, and direct flame pyrolysis and condensation to get to the intermediate for my target compound from the bottle of the substance other than the diisopropylaminoethanol, but the yield would be a lot lower, probably half that if I were to employ the barium hemi-salt and carbanion formation cross-coupling decarboxylative ketonization process I've in mind. That might give me yields in the 90% range, rather than probably somewhere between mid-high 30s to maybe 45-50% IF I am lucky. And I'm not sure whether the lead salt or the calcium salt would give the higher yield out of the two. But with a barium hemi-salt I ought to be able to get a far better yield, by at least an order of magnitude.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:23:00 PM by Lestat »

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6473 on: January 22, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Oh...and I completely forgot, I also bought (and they arrived), a pair of cows too. Although I had to contact the seller after one of the cows arrived with a broken vacuum takeoff. The first of the two was fine, but the other had the vac hose barb in little pieces. Going to see what my (rudimentary...although I have wanted to get me some formal glass blowing training since I was a kid), I'd LOVE to be a professional glass blower for a job. I'd never WORK a day in my life, just come in to my place of employment and make the equipment required by those needing items made or repaired. I wouldn't be lazy, don't take me that way, but I really wouldn't ever work a day in my life, even if I was employed for 70 years (chances are I'd be dead after that, at the most, since I', 31 now), since work is something one generally thinks of along the lines of 'I wish my shift would hurry up and I could clock off already' rather than 'come on, let me do some overtime, or at least let me bring in some supplies of my own and use the facilities, I've a couple of repairs I need done and a few new pieces I have to make' :D

Now the guy owes me a new cow, plus someone else owes me a replacement vacuum pressure gauge.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6474 on: January 23, 2018, 02:07:03 AM »
I still do, FWM. I have what I could guess one could call rudimentary skills and knowledge, getting more of the latter from reading, to the extent that now I can effect simple repairs  on some, less complex borosilicate glass items.

I blow my own vaporizer pipes too, and make custom ones for myself, (the kind of pipe not used for smoking tobacco or weed, but made of glass and heated from below, without direct contact with the flame. I've come up with a design of my own that allows for a weak, partial vacuum to be created when inhaling, so as to lower the boiling point of whatever compound is in there waiting to be vaporized and inhaled, and thus allow both greater efficiency (plus a more or less closed design allows for un-inhaled vapor to recondense inside the pipe allowing for it to build up and for free tokes later after uses, along with a bong-like choke/carb hole to allow sudden big tokes), built from a modified borosilicate test tube, blown out into a bulb-shaped end with a small hole put into the end, facing inwards, so as to give a rounded outside, a carb right near the top, just before a wasp-waist created with a bass guitar string, biggest and heaviest gauge that one can get, dusted with powdered graphite to prevent the glass when near molten sticking to the metal (carbon tools are used for manipulating molten or tacky and softened glass most of the time since glass doesn't stick to graphite or solid amorphous carbon, graphite dust etc.), with the end threaded through the eye, used like a noose, to slowly tighten in a circular fashion, later being cut off if its impossible to loosen whilst hot or cold, and slowly put a round stranglehold on the red-hot, but malleable borosilicate tube near the open end, round a similarly very hot piece of hollow boro glass tubing to serve as a stem, with, after creation of the near finished article, the finishing touch of a pair of 'legs, one set of two pokey-down wraparound ends made from simply bending round a half-coil of boro glass rod of equal length at either end, that way, one can thus set down a very hot pipe onto a table, etc. without the heat of the pipe burning the table. At least assuming whatever is inside doesn't prevent one from having the coordination to do so.

I once even experimented (brief success) with modifying a blowtorch into an oxypropane flame torch, by means of adapting the holes near the back to a set of tubes leading to a chamber connected to a tank of dilute hydrogen peroxide decomposed catalytically with a bit of manganese dioxide taken from a zinc-carbon battery, to fuel the torch instead of air, vastly increasing the heat of the torch flame, whilst burning the gas fuel with pure oxygen from the decomposition of the H2O2.)

Not the most practical setup, but it was experimental, designed it for working borosilicate glass,which is far less susceptible to thermal shock (I.e shattering or developing internal stresses that could cause it to shatter later on mild stress, thermal or physical), such as a transition from very hot to cold, regular soda-lime glass is a lot easier to melt, or soften but a lot more susceptible to thermal shock. And its not suitable for any lab glass that is going to undergo heating any more than a fair bit of warming. Boro glass on the other hand does need a LOT more heat to work easily or properly than does soda-lime glass.

I've never found anywhere I could get lessons though. I'd love to find a proper teacher. But I have garnered a bit of knowledge from .PDF ebooks on the subject, and from practical experimentation, and going for repairs or improvisations of glassware thats either otherwise fucked, or for scrap for making other stuff.

Best thing I ever made was a liebig condenser, although that is now broken, deliberately most likely, when the pigs raided my place. (a liebig is the type with a simple hollow inner glass tube, connected to an outer glass jacket which has an inlet and outlet on the outer jacket, the two melding into one at either end into male/female ground-glass joint-pieces (these I salvaged from appropriate sized broken glassware)

It worked just as a bought liebig would do too, assuming equal length, quite usable for reflux, and whilst it was broken, it was not of my doing. And probably deliberately so, given the porcine vendetta against me (which I am now in the process of taking to the IPCC:))

Not what one could call fancy, but it was functional. And equivalent to a liebig that wasn't homemade.  The coolant feeds were the hardest part and somewhat nonstandard in size, I had to improvise and make do with what I had to work with, be it cannibalized or just hanging around.  And it is quite fun, there is something I find rather satisfying about glassworking, just as I do with (in particular, outside of chemistry and related sciences) engineering work using the lathe. (old metalworking lathe, from way before the ages of modern CNC machinery, almost certainly pre-WWII by quite some time. Cut-off tool bite depth and the other north-south (as imagined on a piece of paper, north being upwards-driven) tool depth along with the horizontal axis capstan tools (its a capstan lathe, a rotary turret mounting several different tools of choice that can be swapped in and out, and moved by a separate control, in both cases, by hand, with big metal levers, the workpiece held in a rotating motor inside a chuck, different chuck sizes for different workpieces), but within the tolerance-sizes of the lathe itself, as big a workpiece as it can hold a chuck for (I forget, its all measured in old ass fractions of an inch) can be worked, and the tool bite-depth set by manually turning sets of bolts on a rotating wheel mounting several very long screw threaded  steel rods, the bolts act as stops to prevent the lever action going any further than how you set it for, so its still pretty accurate (easily accurate enough to set up to make a matching nut and bolt and set the depth of the die heads and screw thread taps to be chosen, or use a shallow knurler tool to set a desired depth of a grip for a wheel-headed screw etc. and have the matching pair, once set up for the process, churned out repeatedly, in a robot-esque push-shave off material, , cock-back tool on turret to the correct (next one along typically and most practically) pre-setup tool for the next stage of the task), do whatever the tool does with it using another big metal handle, then pull the other handle finally, when all is said and done, to cut the finished piece off. I've done it semiprofessionally in the past, and made..well I won't say how much for legal reasons of course, although the items themselves are legal enough, buggered if I want a bill for anything, unless I'm the one specifying the contents of the bills...but the items, could churn out hundreds of brass and steel parts in a couple of hours, then weld the metal parts together, after slipping on a piece of rubber tubing on part of the item in question, and mounting the parts in a heat-shield jig, and finally, after dabbing on a bit of flux paste, welding them together with a silver alloy, forget most of what was in it now, the other part I remember was cadmium, partly because the alloy rods used aren't easy to get due to the cadmium content, and partly because Cd is fucking horrible stuff, its related to lead, but far more toxic. (which is why cadmium is being as harshly phased out or banned in as many types of consumer product as possible, due to its high toxicity, just  like mercury is banned in batteries now, nickel/cadmium cells are either banned or being banned, not sure if you can still get them here. I know I hoard them if ever I see any, for reclamation of the cadmium content, and certainly won't 'recycle' them in the sense that most battery free-to-junk-for-recycle places would consider recycling (I.e the same context as I would consider lithium batteries containing lithium metal rather than Li-ion polymer battery shite, or would recycle mercury containing, silver oxide containing, or the extra-special two-for-one bargain lithium-thionyl chloride cells. [although admittedly, batteries in general never tend, in my case, to see any other recycle point than a pair of pliers, wire cutters, a hacksaw, possibly a drill and in the case of Li-batteries a pot full of petrol to dunk them in before they have a chance to catch fire or spark/glow red hot, and special purpose setups for draining SOCl2 out of Li-thionyl chloride cells with the aim of reclaiming both the lithium metal and the SOCl2 intact, and considering the brutal corrosive nature and water/atmospheric moisture-sensitivity of SOCl2 (SOCl2 did me a somewhat serious injury the first time I ever encountered any, when I was a little kid and before I knew about SOCl2 being used in some types of Li-battery. Just knew there was elemental lithium inside and went at it to gut it, and got SOCl2 over my leather-gloved hand. Removing the skin and tissue down to bare muscle and connective tissue after the stuff devoured both the leather of the gloves and made a nasty looking mess of the stainless steel spikes on the back of the hand of the glove that got hit. Carried on going and made a real fucking nasty mess of the hand everywhere contacted. I'm lucky in that the gloves were thick leather, and only a portion of the SOCl2 escaped, and what did escape, part of that was destroyed in its consumption of the leather and steel, and part still hydrolyzed to nasty acidic fumes in the moisture present in the air (the rest being hydrolyzed as it reacted with me, leaving hydrochloric acid to soak into my exposed flesh and a satanic-stinking anal belch of sulfur dioxide gas venting into the air. )

Although I'm still glad I found the things, as they were pretty large, physically and I got quite a lot of them at the time, and managed to reclaim almost all the SOCl2 from all but that single initial battery that wounded me and flayed my hand, what was left of the skin coming off my palm and fingers along with the remnants of the glove. But, thionyl chloride was, at the time a resource (its a very useful, very very fast-reacting chlorinating reagent, and difficult and dangerous to make, along with requiring very careful handling to be used safely and as a kid I simply could not obtain it, either by effort and skill, or much less actually purchase, it could only be drained from certain battery types that are not over the counter, and then distilled and redistilled to purify it, in a scrupulously dry set of glassware, using inert greases for the joints, and under dry gases inert to the SOCl2 itself)

Stinks like the devil, toxic as hell but manna from heaven for anybody wanting to chlorinate a fairly wide range of things chlorinatable (if that wasn't a word to begin with it is now :LOL1:...although unfortunately that includes people, and gives off toxic gases as it reacts, although the fact that the reaction byproducts are gaseous at room temperature is actually a blessing, once one gets past the acidic, corrosive, stinking and gas-mask-requiring nature of handling the stuff; it reacts very rapidly indeed (including, less welcomely, autistic child-bits :tard:))

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6475 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:15 AM »
I got the swirls on my car fixed by a detailer. I give him about a 90%; he couldn't fix the scratches on the chrome door trim and I think there's still some marks on top of the bootlid. Whatever, the car doesn't look like a smash repairer's dodgy job anymore. And he threw in a coat of sealant/wax for free!

I inadvertently lead them to assume another smash repairer damaged the paint, but oh well that one deserves bad word of mouth just as much as the one who actually did it lol.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6476 on: January 23, 2018, 05:25:30 AM »
Normally, I'd be pissed if I just got woken up during my day's sleep by almost anyone.

But in this case no...it was the mailman, and I DO so like mysterious packages from obscure places with customs forms written in chinese, (which I don't speak or write or even fart in)

This one is a long box, with a long thing wrapped in lots of bubble-wrap. Hm...I don't know WHAT this is going to be. But, I always like packages from china. Because they can only EVER mean, since I do not know a single chinese person, something either made of borosilicate glass or something in either a glass bottle (or just rarely, that must be stored in a bottle made of teflon), thats either a liquid or powder, or else a canister of some kind of compressed gas not to be had from any welding store.

In this case...what have we here now. Well well....lookie here...its a one-piece flask-to-flask distillation  device w/ no upper connector/adapter for a thermometer on one end, although the still pot end has one, but I don't need to use two such adapters for the receiver end as well now. Should buy myself a couple of spares of these. Just what I wanted, actually :) The rubber bushings on dedicated still pot thermometer adapters are forever wearing out. I need to get some all-teflon ones, or at least some fluoropolymer O-rings and caps, because of the...well...brutality would be putting it mildly indeed, on the O-rings of the thermometer adapters I end up buying in almost bulk bloody quantities, since sometimes the O-rings are literally throwaway/disintegrate away, which is not acceptable during a vacuum distillation.

And normal rubber ones at least do NOT take happily to fr.ex distillation of >99% concentration, very hot, and scary corrosive nitric acid from a nitrate and boiled down to concentrate it sulfuric bog cleaner (not volatile at nitric acid distillation heats, but the mixture of even un-concentrated 98% H2SO4 and HNO3 is really unfriendly stuff when it acts upon many organics, and it doesn't do rubber O-rings any good at all. Its even less pleasant when that already extremely concentrated sulfuric acid is boiled down to prepare 99.fuck knows what to almost 100% H2SO4. And mixtures of H2SO4 and HNO3 when concentrated are known as 'mixed nitrating acid' and is damn good at oxidizing things, and even better at nitrating things. For tasks like that, this adapter can take a simple glass stopper in place of a thermometer, as long as there is some outlet to avoid pressure buildup (I would NOT want to be caught in a flask-shattering 'explosion' created by pressure buildup inside the glass, if it contained fuming nitric acid and concentrated H2SO4, both at nutty degrees of concentration and at a couple of hundred degrees 'C potentially.....jesus....that probably wouldn't stop burning me until it had burned through one side of my torso and both out the other and in a southerly direction, exiting via the new foot-wide dick-hole and matching second, third, fourth or possibly even fifth arse sphincter, growing even hotter still as the sulfuric reacted with its typical VERY exothermic dissolution in contact with H2O. about the only question would be 'are the remains of any cellulose clothing I'm wearing (I.e cotton fiber or other natural fiber based) going to explode, is the heat going to be enough to let off the now-guncotton (nitrocellulose) shirt I'd be wearing bits of and blow my smoking, charcoal remains into little bits of Lestat-shrapnel, blasted around the room amidst a cloud of superheated acidic smoke and human charcoal briquettes which before the blast shockwave, had the unnaturally internal organ-like shapes only a lot smaller, stinking of SOx and NOx fumes, and saturated in searing hot mixed nitrating acid. A fate I would very much prefer to avoid at all costs (when I want nitric acid, I find the easiest way is to buy a nitrate salt and distill it with as concentrated a concentration of sulfuric acid that I wish the HNO3 distillate to be of. )

Although of course, there are many, many other uses besides distillation of nitric acid that I'll have for this handy wee tool.

Here she is:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6477 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:55 AM »
Although it can't compete for sheer number of nice surprises from china with the first of yesterday's two.

(and just in case I got hungry a few hours later, I got another one yesterday :P) Mmmm....packages from china are always welcome :D

And yes, I was hungry for more after a few hours after opening that, with its treasure-trove of glass tucked up safely in lots of wrapping within. If that makes me a card carrying spazztard then I'm damn well proud to be a card carrying spazztard :tard:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6478 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:03 AM »
Lestat is now a happy Lestat, (even if he WAS woken up during daylight and now has to go back to sleep again, when normally he'd make 'Steptoe' from the eponymous 'steptoe and son' TV sitcom series look like the child of jesus and a female angel instead of a REALLY horrid, stinky, foulmouthed and generally way beyond the pale of repulsive in every way shape and form miserly rag-and-bone-man whom not even his own son doesn't near enough want to drop dead and rot in hell just for being the vile creature he is, and never even MIND the snark that'd otherwise be brewing in Lestat's head ready for letting loose and shriveling the toenails and teeth out of some poor bastard's face (the former having been first implanted firmly in the latter by the aid of a swiftly delivered and well-targeted combat-boot of about size 11-12 :P) just prior to said shriveling. (I learned from the best of the best when it comes to snarking off, someone who it is quite an honor to have such a privilege as being a student in the blackest of the black arts of the 'Dim-Mak' of snark') ehehehee. And she is GOOD at that, to the extent that its a real talent of hers.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6479 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »
Another crate from china just arrived for yours truly.

Containing, packing, styrofoam blocks etc. aside, in the roughly half-meter wide and just over a foot wide crate itself, THIS wee beauty (just imagine those last three words said in Scotty's voice, from star trek, TOS, when he's about to explode with delight over both the way he's got the warp nacelles finely tuned and his secret bottle of several-centuries-old non-replicated ancient scotch), along with the following summary:

She's a 5-liter, 4-necked round flask with a slightly flattened bottom which enables it to stand on its own if it has to, not that I'd leave it like that. Borosilicate glass of course, that is as good as unsaid about any and all of my lab glass. Joint size/taper of the necks, all 24/40, brand new. Cost me just a snippet under £100, early 90-s IIRC, but really, she's priceless. Lovely, just lovely to look upon, isn't she?

I just cannae' wait to do my first reaction in her:)