Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 79070 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6345 on: October 12, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »
Here its typically abandoned places in run-down areas, and if I didn't, somebody else certainly would. I figure it may as well be me, if somebody is (and trust me on it, they will and all too often already have done). If there are treasures to be had, especially, plenty of the folk that'd go in to strip the wiring, the pipes and such would probably not recognize the value in antiques, like the cigarette card collection. Scrap metal, yes but not in things like those.)

And finding that collection of vintage videogames on floppy disks was neat. Although I can't help but wonder how on earth something like a huge heap of old videogame disks, of all things, comes to be stashed under the floorboards of an abandoned building. That was pretty weird. Some titles I had played demos etc. of and wanted too, and some old, old old stuff but still top-notch, like the original system-shock. (early-mid '90s). That game still kicks arse. And hey if I'm taking those with me, why leave behind many kilos of copper and lead? Just a very few kg of copper (spot prices last time I traded any in) brought me £20-25 for a handful of kilos, lead isn't worth as much but its still a good earner. An entire copper house main boiler and thick lead water tank, plus the pipes under the floorboards, the wiring out of the walls etc.? thats a small fortune, a couple of hundred at least, for a few hours work with a hacksaw and some pipe cutters (although given the low MP of lead, iand how soft it is, it fouls sawblades and lead is easier to dissect into portions that could be put into as little space in the bergen worn to carry out the goodies using a nice, quiet propane torch. Couple of hundred quid for just a few hours work, most of it being going back and forth ferrying out your finds in portions, as its  a lot of weight, especially if you happen to have discovered a big stash of lead, since its so dense and heavy. Half an hour to cut it up if your fast, maybe 3/4 hour taking more time on it, and you've just paid a month's rent, and quite possibly had 100-150 quid left over in change for yourself. I was even luckier that time I found the place with the disks, the cigarette cards, the lead water tank and plumbing and copper pipes and master boiler, since I was in my mid teens at the time and I didn't have any costs save the overheads due to the running costs of my lab.

So the entire pile of loot was all mine, that is, the payment for it was, to go out and stock up on tubs of potassium permanganate, sodium chlorate, concentrated hydrochloric/phosphoric/sulfuric/formic acids, sulfur, solvents and all manner of other good things :)

Place wasn't a tourist attraction, it was a medieval-looking shite hole on an estate that was probably worse than the derelict property. It was resources to somebody, and that somebody, I decided, ought to be me. I found the place, so I get to loot it. Fair is fair, no? nobody was  coming back for their run down shithole, it wasn't burgling somebody's home (which I wouldn't do of course) and sure as shit stinks it was no pretty little tourist attraction. Only people touring places like that aren't ghost hunters, they're scrap metal hunters, and they don't do it in groups (I've they have any choice in the matter) or hang round snapping pretty pictures.

So since nobody would suffer from my going in for it, nobody loses out other than by virtue solely of not being the first to find the building, no people are being stolen from, it is fair game. And especially considering I had very little by way of disposable income at that age, several hundred pounds was an awful lot of money at the time, still nowt to sniff at.

Piles of cash for very little effort are always good :D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6346 on: October 12, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
Why did you have the scan done? viewing blood flow to the lungs due to your asthma ren?
It was in 2004, long ago. I would say that the technology has changed and improved a lot since then. The SPECT scan was done on my brain, testing for ADHD. Beforehand, I had to do a concentration task on a computer while they injected the technetium. I had to press the spacebar on the keyboard every time a letter came up on the screen except for when an x would show up. Was supposed to press nothing then.

After the task finished, I (with technetium inside me) had the scan. It took ages but showed blood flow decreased below normal to the frontal lobes when they should have lit up like a beacon given that I was concentrating on something. There was other stuff besides but I can't recall that now. I would have to dig out my report.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6347 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
I'd be interested to read them if you are fine with posting the inner workings of your squishy parts.

How long did it go on for? Interesting summary btw. I didn't know that they used 99mTc to test for AD(H)D. Actually I find it somewhat surprising that 'they' are willing to use radiopharmaceutical methods for a purpose of that kind (not belittling you for having AD(H):D btw ren, although you probably knew that already:)
I show some traits of ADD (no 'H') myself, and I'd be interested in getting it tested if there is a definitive assay. Although I do not see it actually happening; reason for that being that getting ANYTHING from doctors here is like pulling out teeth. Your own. Sideways out of your arsehole with a rusty pair of toenail clippers.
And no, I am not in the slightest about to try and build my own SPECT scanner and use some of that technetium to create a radioligand probe. Hell if I'm ending up like alexander litvinenko (alpha radiation isn't very penetrating, in any but the most energetic particles, but if it gets inside you then the effects are fucking ugly, and a powerful alpha emitter, like that technetium 99 source I linked to, would fry somebody extra crispy if delivered internally, the fact that its actually visible guarantees that much, and especially in a form that could distribute throughout the body. Wouldn't be pretty, and it wouldn't be quick either)

For a collection though, that is a real sweet find, and one I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes on with a view to snagging it; and doing so as soon as I've gotten me the piece of labware I am currently scoping out; and have saved up enough money again to bag my prize, because a piece like that is NOT likely to come up very often on any market available to hobbyists. Might just grab myself a piece of uranium while I'm at it, although the Tc will have first priority, since uranium (and the thorium they sometimes have) do sometimes come up here and there for sale. Although I'd really like to see crop up would be some promethium, as the metal, such as a plating on a gold surface as with the Tc. Promethium-based phosphor-radioisotope mixture paints are sometimes around, used similarly to radium paint, but I've never found any of the metal to be had, yet. That I reckon will prove to be one of the most damn difficult of all the elements to obtain [it too, like Tc has no stable isotopes,  and its only produced in reactors in small quantities. So getting ahold of any will prove tricky. A framed collection wouldn't look right without it though, having a gaping hole smack bang in the middle of the lanthanide series]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6348 on: October 13, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
Announced today:  Parliament has granted The PR a 2% increase in her pension starting in January.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6349 on: October 13, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
^Good news indeed.
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue. 

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6350 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
Every little bit helps
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6351 on: October 13, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
2? how very generous of them.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6352 on: October 13, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »

It's a lot more than interest rates on savings accounts nowadays.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6353 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
One of those whatnow?
Community Chest cards   from the game Monopoly some are good some are not.  I got one of the the unexpected money ones :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6354 on: October 13, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Bought an old compass today along with an antique shovel and a big sledge hammer for $5.  I just got around to really looking at it and it is WW2 German marching compass which go for  $60 or so.   :headbang2: 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6355 on: October 14, 2017, 01:15:12 AM »
Yeah true for the most part hyke.

I am going to move bank as soon as its practical, they treat people like shit. After enquiring what my current interest rate was, I got 'oh you don't get interest'

Sorry fuckers but that and deliberately tricking somebody out of account features they were getting with the promise of things never delivered, along with some other distinctly unsavoury practices (to say the least), moving from those halifax pricks the moment its practical.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6356 on: October 14, 2017, 01:41:54 AM »
 :-*
Yeah true for the most part hyke.

I am going to move bank as soon as its practical, they treat people like shit. After enquiring what my current interest rate was, I got 'oh you don't get interest'

Sorry fuckers but that and deliberately tricking somebody out of account features they were getting with the promise of things never delivered, along with some other distinctly unsavoury practices (to say the least), moving from those halifax pricks the moment its practical.

Wonder if you will find a better bank. Some Swiss banks are even pondering on negative interest now.  :zombiefuck:

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Online "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6357 on: October 14, 2017, 05:22:25 AM »

It's a lot more than interest rates on savings accounts nowadays.

Damn right.  My father's parents got 3% interest on their savings account during the Depression.  :orly:
"There's a time for every star." :star: 8) :star:

Nikka Costa, "Everybody Got Their Something."

Offline Some_Bloke

• The Asshole Beyond The Wall
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I've seen worse. Wubalubadubdub
« Reply #6358 on: October 15, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
Shared a lasagna with my dog.
Also, didn't die.  :asthing:

It's always been a dream of many men and women that one day, humanity will live in harmony. Despite differences of race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, nationality and whatnot humanity will live side by side....

In concentration camps run by our robotic overlords :borg:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6359 on: October 15, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
Went for a long walk with the pup.
To me it looks like you're saying that banning bombs didn't stop bombs going off therefore there is no point to gun control because it's a mental health issue.