Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 119437 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6540 on: March 02, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Changed the batteries in the wireless keyboard.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6541 on: March 05, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
As you folk already know, when something good happens to, for or around me I generally revel in the moments and the time around the happening. Then I post something later and not on the day "OF" the fabulousness.

Last Tuesday we got a rescue dog from a local shelter. He is a Dachshund and Collie mix, small (twenty two pounds) long haired, absolutely gorgeous and we all love him, already!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6542 on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »

I'll post a pic in a few days. He is so cute.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6543 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »
Not much. My carefully laid plans went to hell in a handbasket. My foot had been a bit sore for perhaps 2-3 weeks, but not overly so. But over the last two days, it seems to have flared up as an infection and hurts like hell, top of my foot, so thankfully I can at least rest it, but unfortunately it doesn't seem sensitive to erythromycin, and there are a somewhat restricted amount of suitable antibiotics I can take, since I'm allergic (dangerously so) to penicillins and logically although not certainly, to other beta-lactams [crossreaction of penicillin allergy to carbapenems certainly happens but the rate isn't 100%]

Can't take clindamycin or clarithromycin, not allergic to them but I do react badly to both, they tear my guts a new hole, either of them causes me intense GI pains. And fluoroquinolones are out for sure, the likes of ciprofloxacin and its allies are contraindicated with tizanidine, an adrenolytic drug that I can't just suddenly stop since while not addictive, it can cause a physical rebound if one does just stop it, especially at  high doses, and I've been on not too far off the highest prescribable dose, as a myorelaxant, and the result would be a combination of severe anxiety and panic reaction, severe muscle spasm, which is what I'm taking it for to begin with, sleeplessness and potentially dangerous hypertensive crisis and tachycardia.

Also the fluoroquinolones are GABAa antagonists, not a great idea to use when one is seizure-prone and taking GABAa agonist drugs especially.

And to top it off they have a nasty potential for causing spontaneous, unprovoked tendon rupture, which can easily cripple someone long-term, and IIRC also have some potential for neurological issues. And I already have tendinitis of at least one of my knees, so to hell with that.

Might try a tetracycline, when I call my doctor tomorrow, I at least know I'm not allergic to tetracyclines, to nitroimidazoles or to chloramphenicol, or to gentamycin, although the latter is rather nasty generally speaking, as well as ototoxic (neurotoxic to the neurons innervating the ear), although I've been treated with it once before, I'd rather avoid it if I can, and the tetracyclines are most likely the safest option, followed by the nitroimidazoles such as metronidazole.

I did have planned a distillation and drying  of some diethyl and diisopropyl ethers, but I need to be able to stand to do it, and for what I need the ether for, its rather a hazardous preparation of a reagent that isn't likely to be particularly friendly either, going through the unstable, moisture-sensitive phosphorus triiodide, a volatile, water-reactive, corrosive, toxic, stinking fuming liquid with a habit of turning into a volcano of noxious fumes if one gives it a chance.

The reagent I need it to prepare, a  phosphorus subiodide with some unusual properties ought to be more tractable, and it is stable, although still reactive towards water, its a solid, although I expect it to be volatile.

Guess I'll use the time to get the other things I need for the later stages of my experiment (carbon disulfide, possibly also some sodium triacetoxyborohydride or cyanoborohydride, although if I go with STAB, I might well be able to utilize sodium borohydride, generating STAB in-situ by dissolving the substrate I have in mind in anhydrous glacial acetic acid and then adding NaBH4, forming triacetoxyborohydride in-situ. Although I can easily buy the triacetoxyborohydride if I need to. It might not even be necessary, I haven't quite decided on the reducing agent that I need in the synthesis I have in mind. )

So I think I'll use the time it'll take me with a course of a suitable antibiotic, to rest and heal up, as well as buy myself some needed supplies, plus a new vacuum pump, and get some research done for the reduction step of the...experiment..I have in mind. I think it'll work though. Plus  I'll get myself some boron trifluoride (yeech!!), as BF3:Et2O, the diethyl ether lewis adduct complex of boron trifluoride, which for the (separate project altogether) experiment I need, worse luck, boron trifluoride for, seemingly the etherate complex will be suitable also, and its a solid, IIRC, supplied as  a solution in anhydrous diethyl ether (its violently water-reactive, and extremely poisonous, never worked with either boron trifluoride or BF3 etherate before, but unlike the etherate lewis adduct, boron trifluoride itself is gaseous, so more difficult to handle by far, as well as a lot more difficult to control the addition of it to the substrate. Whilst the etherate can be handled as an ethereal solution under inert gas and drying tubes along with suitable bodily protection and respiratory equipment.

At least, unlike many fluorine-based  reagents though, at least it doen't end up releasing hydrofluoric acid or HF gas, and it does have the saving grace  that it doesn't eat glass either. And during hydrolysis, releases tetrafluoroboric acid,  and the tetrafluoroborate ion can be useful for stabilizing some otherwise rather evasive or unstable cations. And I'm always one for, wherever possible in my lab projects, engineering and tweaking things so as to have whatever I'm doing, whenever byproducts are formed, afford ones that are themselves useful for other things.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6544 on: March 05, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
As you folk already know, when something good happens to, for or around me I generally revel in the moments and the time around the happening. Then I post something later and not on the day "OF" the fabulousness.

Last Tuesday we got a rescue dog from a local shelter. He is a Dachshund and Collie mix, small (twenty two pounds) long haired, absolutely gorgeous and we all love him, already!
That's awesome.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6545 on: March 05, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
I grew up with dachshunds.  They're unique.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6546 on: March 05, 2018, 08:21:35 PM »
I grew up with dachshunds.  They're unique.
They are indeed. My parents used to own one when I was very little.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6547 on: March 06, 2018, 02:17:38 AM »

That's great! Congrats!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6548 on: March 06, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
That's awesome DD.

My neighbors above have a little wiener dog, he comes down on patrol and yaps at me when I'm in the garden.

Cute as hell. :heart:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6549 on: March 07, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
Those yippy little anklebiter dogs are little shits as far as  dogs go a lot of the time.

Nothing but 'yarkyarkyarkyarkyark!!!'yarkyarkyark!' all fucking night long, or going off on one when someone walks past them on the street. I've seen and heard  plenty of that kind that did that to the point where *I* wanted to get down on all fours, bark insanely in their furry little mush and then bite THEM.

Little anklebiting horrors:P

Something (relatively speaking) good  that happened  to me was my doctor made a housecall out of hours  to see me, about the really fucking painful infection on the arch of my foot, and  agreed to give me some more pain meds to help cover it, as well as put me on an effective, broad-spectrum antibiotic.

Plus  I was  able to finally, although most certainly not without first both taking a LARGE shot of morphine sulfate, and snorting quite a few capsules of oxycodone IR (to have it act rapidly enough to be in time for the task to be undertaken) and spending a while waiting for them to kick in fully, steeling myself for what I was going to have to do-its a lot less acutely painful now a lot of the pressure has been released, after I drove the blade of a knife into the swelling and sliced it open, then after wrapping a lot of tissue paper around, squeezing HARD, along with tensing my foot muscles up tight as I could several times in succession.

Yes, it fucking hurt like a total cunting bastard, even after my having coated the point of my blade in 20% benzocaine (a local anaesthetic) to help take the edge off, but stabbed it in all the same, after gritting my teeth, swearing a few times in advance to make up for the moments of time after the job being done in between finishing doing it, and being able to breathe again and  start cursing and swearing properly,  then hit it with the handle of another knife to drive it in like a hammer, opened it up a bit more with a corkscrew on the pocket knife, by twisting it in the wound to open it up better.

Drained it very substantially and let off a lot of pressure, and the pain has faded away something bloody miraculous. Although immediately after I did sterilize my hands, knife etc. in absolute alcohol, before sterilizing a patch of upper  leg and giving myself another jab of morphine. And not a small one either. Because even with the pain meds  already in me beforehand, it still managed to hurt like a complete bastard.

But now, its feeling a lot better than it was, and I'll be getting some more pain meds to cover the increase I had to use tomorrow, the doc was  understanding enough about WHY, after he'd actually seen both the wound during his housecall, (pre-drainage), the swelling and effect that it had on my walking  (I.e forget it, it just isn't going to happen right now):)

So, whilst its  not what you'd call a good  thing as such, its still a fucking relief, especially after stabbing myself in the foot and twisting that corkscrew in there&yanking it out again. Having to apply pressure on the wound after to drain it was the worst part though, the most painful by far, especially with how  much inflammation the infection caused. Figured though 'fuck it, this is GOING to hurt, and it isn't going to be shy about letting me know about it either. So I decided no half-arsed measures, just  apply as much pressure as  I could from several sides at once and force the drainage. Its a  lot smaller now, and as such a lot less  painful.

More than I can say for the actual incision and drainage myself though. I'd have used a surgical scalpel rather than a  pocket knife blade (good sharp knife  or not), but unfortunately all my blades are in the lab. And obviously *I* can't just get up and walk up there; and even though he hasn't got any physical issues standing etc. I can't very well ask him to go poke about in a bunch of drawers full of delicate glass, and  various highly toxic, in many cases water- air- or both-reactive compounds, some  of them corrosive, if not most of them, and at least a few that'll catch fire spontaneously on contact with air.

And besides, the glass and electronics/powered glassware bits and  pieces, all in all, I'm not actually sure how much I spent on the lab in total, but some items are worth over a grand per piece, some even a grand  and a half, even a microscope that cost near to £300-350 or so), and some of my flasks,  worth £95 or  so for just one piece, for the pricier kinds, heating baths, magnetic stirrer-hotplates, hotplates, standalone  stirrers, rotovap, power supplies, and of course all the money that went into buying my chemicals. About 80 euros per kg  (got a discount as I bought 2) of  red phosphorus for example, lots  of difficult to get acid anhydrides and acyl halides, alkyl halides and other such stuff, as well as all the solvents, both commonplace and exotic.

Some of those, like a couple of the more highly exotic and unusual acid anhydrides and alkyl halides cost a couple of hundred quid for just a few hundred ml.

So I really can't send HIM up there with all the delicate, expensive equipment, metals that might get away from their confinement under oil or inert gases that could take his head off. And cost me more perfectly good money to have to spend on more chemicals, or potentially glassware that ended up blasted to little tiny pieces  after a chemically inept person who isn't a chemist and hasn't got very many chemistry-shaped  bones in his body inadvertently created something violently reactive and good at removing bodyparts.

And  as a result, it had to be the pocketknife, using a small blade but still not with a razor shape point to it, the edge is very sharp but not the point itself. Oww. And  then some. But at least it did  get the job done thoroughly.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6550 on: March 20, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
FINALLY! in my fallout-tactics game, I can buy both 9mm and .44 hollowpoint rounds at the base quartermasters supply store. I was down to .44 revolvers and .44 desert eagles loaded with partial mags, after running a mission against a faction of tribal bandit types, a bunch of loonatics called 'beastlords' who use various monstrosities and creatures from the irradiated wasteland as battle assistants.

Lightly armored though. Just had to do a hostage-rescue mission, where the bastards had taken over and fortified a town, including a prison/army garrison strongpoint, after sneaking in through an underground tunnel, and having several side missions as well, such as rescuing a brothel full of prostitutes from these cannibal raiders and their little pet horrors. And if alerted, the alarms would sound and they would start killing hostages. Did have a modest supply of .44 hollowpoint ammo for the revolvers and desert eagle pistols, and a single well-aimed round from one of either would often do much better than even a burst at close-ish range from an AK-47 assault rifle, the expanding ammunition being also more accurate and capable of aimed shots, rather than using burst fire or shotguns, for risk of hitting hostages.

Plus a room where the beastlords had one of their high ranking commanders with a remote detonator for a whole load of plastique and a remote explosive charge all close to a ton of hostages and next to the critical town generators. Sent my stealthiest squad member in and disarmed one of the remote bombs, after having two squad members go in down the stairs from the top, killing the lights, and sneaking up close, whilst the other two knocked out the commander and a couple of assault rifle gunners behind sandbag cover. Two turns, putting .44 dum-dum bullets into the commander first, right through the eyes from a .44 revolver, killing two other gunners, did lose one hostage, but in the first combat round wiped out all but two or so of the enemy with sneaky up-close aimed shots to the head and eyes, a single shot usually sufficing to put them down for good. Several hostage situations, at least five in that mission, and was down to the remaining hollowpoint ammo in my squad's sidearms, but managed to stock up on a hundred or so plus a couple of hundred 9mm hollowpoint rounds, for use in MP5 submachinegun sidearms and one other wielding a sten gun again loaded with 9mm HP rounds. One shot is devastating from either, but on burst fire, its damn rare that any human survives it. And for those who are wearing heavy armor, I have both 9mm armor-piercing and .44 magnum AP rounds. They do less damage than either HP or standard ball ammo but they do their job well on targets too heavily armored for HP rounds and that ball ammo doesn't do much damage to. Although I save both the AP and HP rounds for the most part, and when fighting your average desert raiders, mutated scorpions etc. burst fire and ball rounds, or the occasional shotgun blast when they try to close in.

Brought in a HUGE haul of weaponry from that last one, got to go back and pick up the rest, to sell back at base, because there was way more than the squad could carry. Still, wiped the place clean, now its just a matter of scavenging the remaining 7.62  semi-auto hunting rifles which are quite heavy, the odd submachine pistol of inferior quality to those my squad use, so good enough ot sell but not weapons my squad are about to adopt. Did capture a couple of rifles chambered in 30.06, which are single shot only but have excellent range, and a LOT of stopping power. Can't buy more ammo for them yet, so have to rely on capturing it from killed enemy.  Been using those for sniping hostage takers with deadly accuracy while the lighter armed troops with 9mm SMGs and .44 magnum revolvers or .44 desert eagles loaded with hollowpoints for accurate takedowns without harming the hostages.  Did a good job of it too. Now just need to go back and retrieve the remaining gear on the bodies of the hostage takers for sale now I've ditched the weight of so much loot it was slowing the team down after completing the mission.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6551 on: March 22, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »
The car won't be as expensive to fix as I thought. There was a lead loose that caused the running rough. Weird that it happened as soon as I put petrol in.

It's getting 2 engine mounts today and the other 2 in two weeks. That's the only way I can afford it. $480. I saved more than that so I'll have some leftover.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6552 on: March 23, 2018, 12:22:35 AM »
Glad to hear that it wasn't anything worse than that. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6553 on: March 23, 2018, 12:39:58 AM »

Cars are money pits.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6554 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »
Finished the errands with minimal baby tears.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.