Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 119295 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6300 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
My sister and I bought tickets to go to a concert together. So excited. We haven't done that in 15 years.

Ooh! hope you have a great time! what band/artist/ orchestra ? (you are sooo annoyingly nonspecific)
Bowie. His band is touring to do a celebration.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6301 on: September 29, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
My sister and I bought tickets to go to a concert together. So excited. We haven't done that in 15 years.

Ooh! hope you have a great time! what band/artist/ orchestra ? (you are sooo annoyingly nonspecific)
ooh. That should be good....but also pretty sad .  I  imagine there's quite a long wait til the actual gig,. Hmm. So, plenty of time to enjoy  looking  forward to it!

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6302 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:35 PM »
Went climbing! With some people I met through work. Haven't been since with WolFish. So fucking good to get back on the wall.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6303 on: September 30, 2017, 01:03:10 AM »
I'm home again.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6304 on: September 30, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6305 on: September 30, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
I'm home again.
The sun came up
That's something good. Skyblue is online. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6306 on: September 30, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
Weaved a bit.

And my body is moving on music of the Pogues.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6307 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »

ooh. That should be good....but also pretty sad .  I  imagine there's quite a long wait til the actual gig,. Hmm. So, plenty of time to enjoy  looking  forward to it!
140 sleeps but whose counting  :lol1: I'm soooo excited. This is huge for my sister. She's a massive Bowie fan and has been her whole life. My mother was too so we grew up listening to his music a lot. This is her Christmas/Birthday present from me. The last time we did something like this together was 15 years ago when we went to a massive benefit concert and we saw  Have Love Will Travel Revue (Dan Aykroyd and James Belushi), Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, La Chicane, The Tea Party, The Flaming Lips, Sass Jordan, The Isley Brothers, Blue Rodeo, Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC, and The Rolling Stones. It was one of the best times I've ever had with her. So happy to do it again. We live in different countries and with both of us having crazy schedules, we don't see each other a lot but we're close despite the distance.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6308 on: October 01, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
Second window came out a lot easier than the first one
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6309 on: October 01, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
Will you be getting triple glazing now?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6310 on: October 01, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »

No they are a bit to expensive.  We want to sell the house and move to someplace with fewer neighbors and a barn so we went with good but not the best.  They are  double glazed argon filled   low E glass with vinyl frames.   I got them just above cost and still it was $1650 for 9 windows.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6311 on: October 01, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
Coffee happened.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6312 on: October 02, 2017, 01:07:10 AM »

No they are a bit to expensive.  We want to sell the house and move to someplace with fewer neighbors and a barn so we went with good but not the best.  They are  double glazed argon filled   low E glass with vinyl frames.   I got them just above cost and still it was $1650 for 9 windows.
That stuff is really expensive indeed.

While you wait to get the house old, it will be more comfortable, and you'll hear less from the neighbours.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:08:44 AM by 'andersom' »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6313 on: October 02, 2017, 04:06:09 AM »
Whats the purpose of the argon fill? just to ward off attack from free radicals etc. formed via photolytic processes, or some specific thermal properties?

I really wish it were practical for me to get myself a full-sized tank or two (plus tanks of chlorine gas, anhydrous ammonia, hydrogen bromide, HCl gas, and hydrogen, those are probably what would be the other first couple on my wish-list), but unfortunately the companies rent the tanks out, and my usage pattern is 'as and when'. so it'd mean a massive amount of downtime when the tanks aren't being used. As a result I tend to go via welding stores and go for 'takeout' size cylinders. Although they don't do the likes of chlorine, ammonia, and at least the local ones don't do H2, although I was somewhat hoping originally that they'd have hydrogen, for use in oxyhydrogen cutting torches etc. (I've a far different range of uses mind you, catalytic reduction via hydrogenation over various high surface area platinum-group metals or nickel catalysts is very, very  clean as a reduction method, but it does need high pressure for many catalysts and processes, not all but a lot of them you really do need both a compressed cylinder of H2, and a pressure vessell commonly referred to as a 'parr bottle' or 'pressure bomb' (bearing no relations to actual bombs, of the sort that fr.ex a bomber aircraft would drop on a target, barring maybe facetiousness regarding critical failures of equipment, the likes of a highly flammable gas and potentially pyrophoric catalyst [some of the Raney nickels, and the Rieke metals are fine enough to bust into flames pretty easily, especially Rieke metals] being stuffed in a bottle together) 

The equipment is expensive as hell to buy, out of my price range, so I'd have to do some custom work and make my own, likely using disposable bottles (like my ever growing collection of empty argon cylinders) due to hydrogen embrittlement risk, and structural failure. H2 penetrates many metals and renders them more brittle), otherwise the bare bones of such a DIY job, are means to replace the tank, if it isn't given a glass liner (which I can manage easily enough), pressure gauges, a stand for it, and mechanical rocking arms that swirl the reaction mixture around in a way that ensures maximum contact with the hydrogen, plus of course means to access the inside of the thing to insert and remove contents. If building one though I'll personally add in as a safety precaution, a goodly thickness of welded metal mesh, like a sleeve to go over it that can be removed for access, to restrain fragmentation in case of a critical failure.

Good news so far-got some excellent and most interesting information regarding a certain synthetic opioid  I have interests in, including a report of a human voluntarily selfadministering the compound and reporting on things such as dosage, route of administration, duration of action, secondary effects and more besides.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #6314 on: October 04, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
So yesterday:

1) Got my uniform and my first shifts, plus a bunch of other stuff to do with work.
2) Ran a tabletop horror game for Freshers night at the D&D group I go to and people fucking loved it. I also enjoyed running it quite a lot, I haven't had that much fun running a tabletop game in a long-ass time.
3) Also, didn't die.  :asthing:

Today:

1) Got even more shifts and am on a service that texts me available shifts and I pretty much reply if I want 'em. Got sixteen requests today alone, some for this week and some for next week but I'm sticking with what I've got. (if I don't reply within a set time they send it on to the next person in the system)
2) Didn't die.  :asthing: