Author Topic: The History of Intensity Squared  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
The History of Intensity Squared
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
The Beginning

It all started with Neurolands, a site made to help people on the autism spectrum get jobs. It was founded by Neuroman and McJagger with Tigerlily, Shima (hiroshima on Intensity) and hermit. They met on Wrong Planet in 2005-2006. Then one of the periodic WrongPlanet exoduses led to a huge influx of new members to the Neurolands forum and the original purpose of the forum getting swept away. Neuroman set up a system where members could request and start their own forums. Sophist's Gestalt was founded this way, and kevv729's Sockpuppet Television, and the original Intensity by McJagger, and Ramoth Harbor for Lucifer/Vivi.

There was drama over the original Intensity and whether it was too crass to be associated with a site meant to promote work opportunities for people on the spectrum. It was quite unique from other autism forums at the time in that it was meant as a place where people could learn to stand up for themselves ... or at least to fight the verbal fight. This allowed for abusive language and all sorts of posts that would've otherwise been moderated under standard forum rules. One of the posters there (said to be jman) actually made a thread asking others which Wrong Planet female members they would like to fuck. People complained. It's said that Lucifer was the one who spoke the loudest against Intensity as she didn't like the way the forum was being run.

Eventually, Intensity went down. Fortunately, McJagger managed to log in to the forum and access the admin panel only to realize that somebody/something had had the setting for disabling the forum checked. McJagger announced his findings on the Founders forum on Neurolands. However, the next time McJagger tried to access the admin panel, he couldn't anymore. Confusion arose. Accusations were made against a certain hacker group (that, for humor's sake, must not be named here) and even against a few members of Neurolands and Intensity. That said, it's still not clear what exactly happened that day. It also seems that Intensity went down a second time a while after it was set back up by Neuroman.

The events mentioned in the paragraph directly above may not chronologically be in the right order. Still working out the correct sequence.

Discussions about the fate of Intensity were made at a temporary forum someone had set up (Dunc's Drivel?). McJagger was ready to give up, and this was when it was suggested that he get his own hosting and have the site independent from Neurolands.

He did, and that was the beginning of Intensity Squared. He worked with Dunc of Dunc's Drivel - who incidentally used to work with Alex Plank at the very beginning of Wrong Planet (2004-2005?) before getting disgusted and leaving. Dunc was one of the first to have an issue with Alex as an administrator of Wrong Planet.

to be continued ...

Credits:
odeon
Callaway
Pyraxis
WolFish
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:25:18 PM by Calavera »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: The History of Intensity Squared
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
That sounds about right.

We were labelled as the wrong side of the tracks. 
It was meant to teach others to grow a thicker skin....to stand up for themselves.
Also, I had made the correlation between as ethers and the inability to communicate according to the niceties of regular folks....the status quo.
I thought it was wrong to moderate some people because of their inabilities to communicate a point according to others standards.
 So, I created the premise of a free speech site where all people were welcome regardless of their shortcomings.
Yes, the idea of freedom in this capacity has it's shortcomings.  That is why from the very beginning we encouraged people to justify their words.  And for the community to moderate itself.  Nearly anything goes.
The most important aspect, I felt, was communal responsibility.

Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
Yeah. There's a thread here which goes into more detail, but this was the short version.  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
Auto correct changed aspbergers to as ethers.

Whoops.  I rarely give a crap about simple things like grammar, appropriate words or sentence structure.  But this correction took away from the entire meaning.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »
Ah, that project. I never forgot about it, but have tried to ignore it because it seems I was expected to do more than just compile. Maybe I should get back to it if people can put aside their own prejudices and just give me the hardcore facts for me to post.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »
You did fine

Currently I want to fuck you.  And if you continued and fucked it up I may lose interest.

By the way, who are you?
Misunderstood.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »
Solomon Kane under the name of Manny Calavera if that makes sense.

If you really want to fuck me, make it gentle please and get it done with as quickly as you can.

Actually, just keep your hands off my hairy butt and my nipples and we'll be fine.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
I pull hair.

Please tell me you have hair.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 03:37:55 AM »
I pull hair.

Please tell me you have hair.

I have hair indeed and you're a dirty whore. Come to Papa, bitch.

Offline marx

• Dark Horseman of the Apocalypse
  • Frequent Poster
  • LEGALIZE POT YOU ASSHOLES!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
i know the neurolands url, but it has expired anyway. does anyone remember the url to the old intensity so i can view it through the wayback machine?
300 pounds of horny, psychotic, unempathic, drug-addled "grab bag".

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
I doubt you can find the original Intensity there. It wasn't up for long.

Pyraxis might know where to find it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
I think the archive is still there. I still own the site and never took away the archive from the servers. I am not sure which version it is, but I can look into putting it back up. I have a bit of a shortage of tech spoons right now, so if anyone wants to help I would accept it.

It's in php, a very old version.

ugh, it expired. give me a bit to get it up again.

it may take more than a while. I can get the data back by tomorrow - maybe. But I may not be able to get the domain name back. It may be going up for auction. :(
My bank sent me a new card and I had this on autopay on the old card. So far $109 to restore the hosting plan, but that means I could get the data back and host it somewhere else.

Might be time for the end of Neurolands...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:48:18 PM by WolFish »
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
What expired? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
Everything.

I got the hosting plan restored but the domain name went into something called monetization, which I think means someone else wants it. I might have to compete in an auction to get it back, which means I will lose it because I am poor. I think I can still get the data though - they have opened a ticket to restore it.

If the data is on their servers and I have access to that I don't need the domain name to get it, correct? I can just download it off the servers.

it sucks getting sick. that's why i wasn't paying attention.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »
No, you don't need the domain. Back up the SQL database and download that. It should be easy enough.

- Albert Einstein