Educational

Author Topic: Another murder by america  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Another murder by america
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
Why is this news? There's always a bunch of bleeding hearts pleading to the legal system to not punish a criminal. :wanker:

eris

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
Why is this news? There's always a bunch of bleeding hearts pleading to the legal system to not punish a criminal. :wanker:

I agree. The only reason that some cases make mention news and others dont is sensationalism. Im just glad I dont have to hear the name "lacy peterson" anymore.  i cant tell you if I agree or disagree with the death penalty, what I really believe doesnt really exist in those terms. I do think that states really ARE individual when it comes to crime and I dont see anything united about those states. But I can see how it is also "america" as a whole with the problem.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
There is a lot of kinda iffy things in this case which heavily relies on eye witness testimony. Which raises a lot of questions   http://www.slate.com/id/2304221/
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »
The Supreme Court could halt all executions
They did in 1972. See Furman versus Georgia. Poor little innocent Kenneth McDuff was taken off of death row as a direct result (along with Charles Manson and a bunch of other scum) of Furman versus Georgia. As a direct result of another lawsuit involving prison over crowding McDuff was released. Upon release he begin murdering people again. Who would of figured? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_McDuff

Osensitive1

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
Don't agree with the death penalty, but this article doesn't really seem to be about that. The racial statments are so loud in this article they can't even be called overtones.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
Here is another it seems many think it's a poor decision to go ahead with this due to doubts of his guilt because of inconsistencies and recantations of witness testimony
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/15/troy-davis-execution-william-sessions_n_963366.html 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

The fuck does his race have to do with anything?

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »
I have been hearing about this all day courtesy of the local news.

I will say this regarding the death penalty: Before you answer any question about the death penalty, you have to answer this with a simple yes or no: Is it OK to kill another human being?

Another observation about the death penalty: The various Judiciaries in the US that use capital punishment are showing its wrong to kill people, by killing people.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

P7PSP

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »

I will say this regarding the death penalty: Before you answer any question about the death penalty, you have to answer this with a simple yes or no: Is it OK to kill another human being?
Yes, there are circumstances where it is okay.
Another observation about the death penalty: The various Judiciaries in the US that use capital punishment are showing its wrong to kill people, by killing people.
That is a premise that you accept. I do not accept that premise. I am quite comfortable discerning a huge qualitative difference between Richard Allen Davis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Allen_Davis and Polly Klaas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Klaas. Can you discern such a difference? Will you attempt to argue that both of their lives are of equal value? I know which one I would have preferred as a neighbor.

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »

That is a premise that you accept. I do not accept that premise. I am quite comfortable discerning a huge qualitative difference between Richard Allen Davis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Allen_Davis and Polly Klaas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Klaas. Can you discern such a difference? Will you attempt to argue that both of their lives are of equal value? I know which one I would have preferred as a neighbor.

Yes there is a difference, I will not deny that. One was an innocent child that had her life taken from her, and the other is a criminal that violated the laws of an orderly society. OK, with that being said, I still oppose capital punishment, because there are a lot of better alternatives. I will come clean, i'm a proponent of torture.  What would be better for Richard Davis, a painless death by Lethal Injection, or a Folsom Corrections Officer taking his ASP and beating the asshole within an inch of his life on a regular basis?
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

What's right or wrong are abstract and for the individual. Oppose the death penalty but that's my view and if the officer's family have a sense of closure and justice from this man's death, that might be more important than what I might think about it. It's a tough and touchy subject.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:21:29 PM by Jack »

Scrapheap

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »

The only issue I have with the death penalty is a philosophical one. By allowing the State to execute criminals, we have given them power to decide if citizens live or die. That is not a power I'm comfortable giving to the state.

I''m certianly not opposed to the guilty getting their just desserts.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »

Yes there is a difference, I will not deny that. One was an innocent child that had her life taken from her, and the other is a criminal that violated the laws of an orderly society. OK, with that being said, I still oppose capital punishment, because there are a lot of better alternatives. I will come clean, i'm a proponent of torture.  What would be better for Richard Davis, a painless death by Lethal Injection, or a Folsom Corrections Officer taking his ASP and beating the asshole within an inch of his life on a regular basis?

I see the death penalty not as a punishment, more removing an unwanted element from society. They forfeited their basic human rights when they committed inhumane acts.

The only issue I have with the death penalty is a philosophical one. By allowing the State to execute criminals, we have given them power to decide if citizens live or die. That is not a power I'm comfortable giving to the state.

Technically, the State isn't deciding, the people are, with a jury.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:38:47 PM by earthboundmisfit »

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
Quote from: earthboundmisfit
I see the death penalty not as a punishment, more removing an unwanted element from society. They forfeited their basic human rights when they committed inhumane acts.

Same here. It's not about punishing criminals. It's about protecting society from such people.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »
penal colony on the moon would be nice

wall street is already full of criminals, no room there.