Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 155028 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #12780 on: March 23, 2024, 10:10:12 AM »
Dug out around Ambers car, the mailboxes and cleaned off the deck.  about six inches of snow.  It's my exercise for the day, bend and lift and throw, bend and lift and throw.......... :P  Called out of work today, Carla drove to her church to deliver a salad she made for a funeral and when she got back home, she reported fishtailing 5 times to the church on, at the time, barely plowed roads.  So it was an easy decision. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12781 on: March 23, 2024, 07:22:10 PM »
Busted my ass, today! It was already cracked, though.  :green:

My kindred and I laid out 30 bags of mulch into our front garden/landscape entry way area and half way around one side of the house.
I have tried to find a company to do this for us, but either they do not do residential properties or they charge a zillion dollars to just barely mess about some leaving a bit of mulch behind.
Today we spread out almost half of our shipment of mulch.

I no longer order mulch in raw bulk form to be simply dropped onto my property by a dump truck (much cheaper and far more efficient, but an enormous amount of work that must be completed in short order) and then spread by hand where it needs to go. I just can not do it anymore.

I order from (this time Home Depot) a big box store and have them drop a pallet of bags of "comfort" for our plants.
It makes sense! The bags are so much easier to negotiate, not needing a wheel barrow.

I have to admit, it costs more and it is still a lot of work, but we can stop working when we want, with just bags. There's no giant hill of stuff to deal with, just a small stack of easily maneuverable product.

But, it still kicked all our shiny asses. It may not seem like all that much work, but we also had some neglected preparation work to do in order to make it all come out right. Lots of trimming and raking we failed to do in the fall. And I thought we did good last November.

I'm tired!
Forty five more bags to go and that pallet is done.

Sorry, but I forgot to mention, it was just under three hundred bucks to have seventy five, three cubic foot bags of product dropped at our home.
The fun has begun!  Spring is here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:40:36 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12782 on: March 23, 2024, 07:49:13 PM »
Wished I gotten out of the house today... but maybe I will later?

Go out and start a fire, then just watch it burn until you can hold meat near it. Then endulge lightly.
It's dark, I know, but I don't give a Damn.
Find some reason to get outside and do nothing!

I have had those days! 
No will or reason to go bump around much, let alone go outside.
It is up to you/us to do better for ourselves.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12783 on: March 23, 2024, 08:08:11 PM »
Had a get together with Auntie to celebrate hers and Mom's birthdays. Auntie was a linguist missionary in Pakistan around the same time my grandparents and parents were.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12784 on: March 23, 2024, 08:09:31 PM »
Stayed inside and did some writing, got a haircut, took a shower, had supper with Mom, went for a walk, watched a really crappy movie, now I should get ready for bed.

Kdrama would of been more suitable instead of that shitty movie -___-

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12785 on: March 26, 2024, 08:45:57 AM »
I did not mention that when we set the mulch out a couple of days ago, I had many flattened or cut down cardboard box panels (saving for recycle) that I placed under the mulch to sort of create a short term weed barrier. Make sure it's plain cardboard - no graphics that use anything but inkjet printing. No wax or poly coatings! If it's shiny, showy graphics or has poly tape on it, do not try to use it in your garden!

The cardboard will be gone by winter, thanks to the earthworms, but you have to get it wet before the earthworms even have a chance to dine. Not wetting the areas down well will cause water to be drawn in from ground moisture by the super dry cardboard, making the area very dry. You do not want that! Spray it down really well.

Adding blood meal, bone meal and potash under the cardboard, then epsom salts on top of the mulch covering will offset the waste cardboard tendency to bind plant nutriments for a while.
Our worms will do all the magic over a few months all with full, happy tummies.

I started right at the front door entranceway and went both ways around the house from that point. Did not get very far around, but the front view from the street now is an amazing difference for the curb appeal aspect.
Not the reason to do this, but MAN! ... the fresh "hand deep" (like measuring a horse's height) mulch update is a nice look.

Then once I got everything soaked down really well, we got two inches of unexpected rain overnight.
 :autism:
WE NEEDED IT!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:09:04 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12786 on: March 27, 2024, 04:00:14 AM »
^ I envy you your rain! Two inches of rain sounds good.

Today I cleaned under my bed. Two lots of hidden cat vomit was under there. Easy to clean as they were just dried up furballs.

Handed in my invoice at work.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12787 on: March 27, 2024, 08:59:15 AM »
^ I envy you your rain! Two inches of rain sounds good.

Today I cleaned under my bed. Two lots of hidden cat vomit was under there. Easy to clean as they were just dried up furballs.

Handed in my invoice at work.

We've had good rain two weeks in a row here. The big waterways don't look much different, but the many feeder streams were running hard again yesterday.
This needs to keep going for a while.
Normally it will. Rainy, muddy season is here.

For the past two years we have had very dry winter and spring weather. It's time for it to go back to normal.

Cat vomit?
I got one for ya. I have a sister in law who insists that it's just not worth it to clean up cat vomit when it happens. It's just a ball of fur. So much easier to let it dry out first and then pick it up.

It's true.

I usually hear it as it happens and there is no peace in the house until it is found and cleaned.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:08:38 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12788 on: March 27, 2024, 06:32:13 PM »
Work, shopping at Walmart, got home, had supper, now I'm hiding in my room.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12789 on: March 28, 2024, 07:18:54 PM »
DirtDawg, your sister in law may be right. Picking up cat vomit when it's fresh is gross. If it's somewhere where everyone walks, yes clean it up. But if it's hidden it is definitely easier to let it dry out. I wonder what other household wisdom your sister in law has. ;)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12790 on: March 28, 2024, 07:49:42 PM »
^Yoshi threw up earlier... it's not so bad cleaning up after him, it's just hard to clean up when his vomit dries up.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12791 on: March 29, 2024, 02:58:34 PM »
Wrote an extended abstract for a conference I want to present for in June.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12792 on: March 30, 2024, 09:18:42 PM »
Wrote an extended abstract for a conference I want to present for in June.
When I was at uni I used to write my abstracts last and it would take me 10 minutes at the most. I don't think they ever got marked other than that they were there.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12793 on: March 31, 2024, 08:33:53 PM »
This was yesterday, but I finally finished scrubbing the bathroom floor.  So that's the toilet and bathroom done. Next is the laundry. I don't think I'll tackle the whole thing at once.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #12794 on: April 04, 2024, 02:24:09 PM »
Cleaned the cages, now I just need to bury Agatha (make the gravesite, bury her, pray and saying my goodbyes)